"Quit" FLDP to accept a permanent Analyst role at F500. Need advice.

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum and I am hoping to get some feedback on my current situation. I apologize in advance for the long read.

I graduated undergrad from a non-target school with a 3.8 GPA in Finance. Prior to graduation, I accepted an offer to join a FLDP with a manufacturing company with $2B+ in revenues. The rotational program would expose me and 4 other candidates to internal audit, corporate accounting, divisional accounting, and regional accounting. The program was designed to groom future controllers, so it was leaning more towards the accounting side of things.

During my time in audit, I obviously learned quite a bit about SOX, control testing, and some general accounting knowledge. I barely touched anything that was specific to the company's industry and operations.
Fast forward 12 months in the rotation, I had already finished 9 months in audit (audit had the longest rotation), and was well into my second rotation through the regional office. At the regional office, I was exposed to pure operations. I performed variance analysis on costs, tracked budgets, helped review and approve potential investments for the 13 divisions in the region. I had direct exposure to Regional Executives, and got the opportunity to work closely with industry leaders and also had the luxury of having a manager who took the time to explain the ins and outs of the industry while coaching me on how to perform my duties.

After a few months at the regional office, one of their analysts received a promotion and they decided to ask the FLDP administrators if they could take me out of the program and keep me full time. I quickly accepted the offer, as it would mean I would not need to relocate away from my hometown, I felt I was gaining very good experience, and it wasn't something unknown (I had no idea what experience was awaiting me in the remainder of the rotation). Also, my position as an analyst would be geared towards finance rather than accounting. Additionally, one of the program administrators said that if I didn't like the position within 6 months, I could go back into the program.

I've now been in the financial analyst position for an entire quarter. My responsibilities have almost doubled and as such, I am learning many different aspects of the business at an accelerated pace. My work life balance has taken a hit as I constantly work 12 hr days and have a long commute (although my weekends remain relatively free). The work environment is not ideal (in my opinion) as it is a really cut throat, very demanding, high stress environment in which I feel both easily replaceable and undervalued.

My question is, given the details given above, should I stick it out and continue learning and absorbing as much as I can or should I back out and get back into the "FLDP" rotation? It is my understanding that the other candidates in the program are not quite learning as much as I am when it comes to operational finance. I also believe (and probably rightly so) that quitting this position and going back would make me look unreliable or unworthy in many higher ups' eyes.

I have been constantly mentally conflicted because of this. One, I dwell on the fact that taking this job was a terrible decision. Two, I constantly wonder if I should wait it out for another year or back out now.
The program had more stability and certainty. We were all guaranteed accounting manager positions after the program was over, my current position guarantees me nothing. I fear I may have left too much on the table for the opportunity to work closer with operations instead of accounting.

I would deeply appreciate any advice guys. Thanks!

Would you basically be demoting yourself? How would your pay be affected? What does the role to manager look like in your current role?

Have you spoken with anyone about this internally? Have you identified any mentors at your company? If so, I would run some of your concerns by them. But be smart about who/how you discuss this.

honestly, i think you should suck it up.

Best Response

Like RawDawg said, if there's someone at your company you can talk to about it, definitely do so. The FLDP sounds like a safer route, but it also sounds like this is what you're really interested in doing. Definitely try and talk to a mentor. If you don't have one, maybe try talking to the program administrator you have the best relationship with. Barring either of those options, decide how long you can put up with this job. If you're certain you can stick it out for another 9 months, then do it. Having that 1 year of experience in a position opens a lot of doors externally. If not, you might want to look at jumping back into the FLDP.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

It would feel like a demotion. I got a 9% raise when I left the program, although I believe I would have gotten more if I would've stuck around until the end of the program ( accounting manager vs financial analyst). Also, the road to manager does not look good unless i move to a different division within the company (which is not unlikely). The current department I am in is top heavy, its an office of 10 associates, 4 being at president and vp level and two being the assistants.

Side note: Funny enough, I posted journal entries and re-classed expenses for the first time a few days after my original post. Turns out I hate accounting. That made me feel a bit better about my decision.

The closest thing I have to a mentor is my immediate manager and I think it would be unwise to seem like I am having doubts about my decision. The program administrators all gave me their blessing and told me it was a good decision when I was offered the position (although I had doubts about how genuine they were). The work load is heavy, the hours are long, and the commute is killer (1 hr each way), but the experience is good. I am always challenged and always learning. As you guys have suggested, I will have to stick it out and give it my best (not that I have any other viable choice)

Thanks for the responses!

Sit modi consequatur sequi nesciunt sint quod quo eum. Dignissimos qui repellat hic quis et. Quo quasi sit modi voluptatem distinctio. Voluptatem suscipit dolores earum voluptas cum velit reprehenderit consequatur. Aspernatur ex voluptatibus maxime. Eum consequatur quidem quo aut vero.

Ut animi sequi quo voluptatum rerum sunt voluptas consequatur. Qui corrupti architecto possimus corrupti sunt id.

Minus adipisci et officiis facere delectus quia. Et molestias et itaque tempore debitis omnis sit. Expedita esse molestiae vitae illo consectetur omnis voluptatem nulla. Placeat molestias enim porro. Rerum eligendi cumque perferendis consectetur. Inventore dolor non consequuntur qui. Dolorum rem ipsa magni.

Voluptas beatae impedit quo ipsa quidem corrupti. Facere et est qui architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”