This post is really meant for all forums.
When I apply for a job should I disclose my race and ethnicity in the "optional" section? Personally I feel it might work in my disadvantage by the way things have been evolving in the US during the past 10-15 years.
While this is an "optional section," which is not used to judge the applicant, all of these employers who ask for my race/ethnic info also claim that they are equal opportunity employers etc... I would hate for the color of my skin and my lack of "enhancing a diverse environment" in the work place to be valued more than my actual skill set. I'm almost disgusted that I even have to ponder whether or not to fill in the section.
To what extent do employers make a decision based on my race and ethnicity?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
Don't Miss This Awesome Related WSO Content
- Ethnicity and gender on application?
- Applying as Mixed-Race/Ethnicity (MBA)
- Ethnic Question: WASP vs. everyone else
- M7 application: Is my ethnic background an asset or a liability?
- I lied about my race... your thoughts?
- "Application received" vs. "Application under review"
- Withdraw application to avoid Max # of applications limitation
- Application editing for MBB applications