Mitt Romney. He has a deep understand of the economy rooted in years of private-sector experience.

This – combined with his plan to eliminate all taxes on income from interest, dividends, and capital gains for middle-class Americans and his pledge to cap domestic discretionary spending at inflation minus one percent – makes him a no-brainer in my eyes.

I am going to have to agree with CowboyCapitalist. Romney has proven himself, he's clearly a man who can get things done and done well. His policies are pragmatic and wall street would agree w/ them. Although, many Massachusetts Republicans hate him for some odd and confusing reasons. Then there is also the Mormon thing that some people find hard to swallow. He is also just not as well known/popular as the other candidates. He is a great candidate on paper but I think he may be losing the popularity contest.

Here is a great article on him from the Economist.

http://economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9441455

The only worrying thing about him is his immigration policy (hopefully he's just pandering to the redneck masses and will flip flop as soon as he can; he's just that pragmatic).

^So you don't mind that Barack Obama is proposing to raise the top rate on capital gains and dividends? (Of course Hillary is even worse and adds her blue-collar protectionist bullshit to the mix)

Best Response

I just can't respect a man who panders. Mitt gets out there and says stupid shit like "we should DOUBLE Gitmo" and other such bullshit (his favorite book is Battlefield Earth, no lie, he said this in an interview). Honest to God, we just need a fucking change from the same old bullshit (and growing twin deficits which are going to bite us in the ass one day).

I'm sick of partisan bullshit and talking point - bumper sticker politics. As far as I'm concerned, Barack and Ron Paul are the only two candidates worth even looking at. 2 men of principle who don't just say shit to pander (ie. Rudy suddenly being this hyper neocon and having a garbage foreign policy) and don't use slogan politics bullshit ("cut and run," repeat x 10000, etc.).

In conclusion:

If you can't go out there and say what you believe, then fuck yourself. If you can defend the damned pandering bullshit that goes on, then you need to commit that.

I like Mitt because of his experience. I'm extreme right myself so he's been hitting the right notes in my opinion. I'm not gonna vote for Barack "Hussein" Obama just so that the media and liberals can get a hardon with a half-black President at the helm. Since we're talking about pandering, someone should tell Hussein to stop pandering to the Black panther wing with his threats of a "quiet riot".

I think thats going a bit too far Seanc.

But the problem is, especially with democrats, is that you don't know where they really stand. i.e. why would Hillary Clinton care about the laid off auto workers- what does she have in common with them? Is she just laying on this protectionist shit to get elected (Bill if anyone remembers rode a wave of blue-collar support to the white house and then promptly turned around and become pro-wallstreet/pro-freetrade/pro-NAFTA) I think it would be hilarious if the blue collar faction got duped by a Clinton once again.

deadjackal:
I think thats going a bit too far Seanc.

But the problem is, especially with democrats, is that you don't know where they really stand. i.e. why would Hillary Clinton care about the laid off auto workers- what does she have in common with them? Is she just laying on this protectionist shit to get elected (Bill if anyone remembers rode a wave of blue-collar support to the white house and then promptly turned around and become pro-wallstreet/pro-freetrade/pro-NAFTA) I think it would be hilarious if the blue collar faction got duped by a Clinton once again.

And you know where the Republicans stand? Seriously? You've got Mitt and Rudy flip-flopping on all of their social views and spouting a bunch of bullshit and you have a guy like Fred "No seriously, I'm Reagan, please like me" Thompson who doesn't even seem interested in running for President...what the hell does he stand for, where is he on all of the issues?

If all someone cares about is the Free Markets, then vote for Ron Paul, period.

Barack says this, Seanc, as you come into Barack's arena, with the millions ::AND MILLIONS:: of Barack's fans chanting his name...::Bama Bama Bama Bama::, you will know one thing, that Barack is the People's Choice.

But seriously, I don't buy it when you say you are "Extreme right." If you were, you'd be voting based off idiotic shit like abortion and gay rights (neither of which affect you, unless you're gay or have a vagina, which I have no idea as this is a message board).

Barack Obama isn't necessarily my ideal candidate at all, but at least he brings fresh ideas to the table. The last thing we need is more of the same bullshit. I like someone who gets out there and speaks with logic and from the heart rather than just saying what he thinks specific groups of people want to hear and flip-flopping all over the place just to pander.

So, you have a guy like Mitt "I really like Battlefield Earth" Romney who was a liberal/moderate Republican (they do still exist, but apparently it's a bad thing at this point) guy when he was governor of Massachusetts, but now that he's running for President he's suddenly some Pro-Life, gun carrying, red neck wannabe just so he can get votes from some retards in the Dakotas and Iowa. Fuck him, if you can't stand by your principles and jump all over the place, fuck you. Who is he really? How can we really know? He says one thing and has done another. He's a good businessman, but that doesn't mean he should be President.

And as Barack noted when talking about experience: Sometimes the most experience doesn't yield the best results, take a look at Cheney and Rumsfeld. They've done a whole lot of good. Fuckin' a.

It makes very little difference who the next president is unless there's a large shift in votes in the Senate. Right now it stands at 51/49 Democrats, and without 60 votes you can't get any significant legislation passed. One of two things has to occur: Democrats pick up at least 4 more seats next year or Republicans regain control with 6 more seats. With partisanship as high as it is right now very few senators are going to be willing to cross party lines. Maybe, on average, 5 would in exchange for some government pork.

Taxes might be the one area that would probably change because the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts expire after 2010. If a Republican wins in '08 he will fight to make the rates permanent, and he will have to fight hard unless the Democrats lose their majorities in Congress. But if a Democrat wins, I think only the rates for top earners and capital gains would go back up to pre-2001 levels. Hillary, Obama, and Edwards have all made it clear that the additional tax revenue from those bases would be used to fund their health care programs. A rise in capital gains might produce some short-term loss, but in the long-term it would make little, if any, difference.

Nemo dolor eligendi quasi. Qui aut et repudiandae consequatur quasi. Omnis reprehenderit enim impedit ut. Dolorem odio natus cumque sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”