1) Derek Peterson, Terra Tech Founder, Ditched Wall Street For Marijuana Business (Huffington Post) - This is something right out of Breaking Bad. Derek Peterson started a side business making mobile hydroponic labs while at . found out and promptly fired him. So now he's doing it full time. Awesome.
2) Small Banks Get Theirs Too: Treasury’s Quiet Bailout (ProPublica) - Another back-door bailout in full swing. The Treasury is trying to unload its stakes in the smaller banks, and the banks themselves are buying back the debt at a discount. Such a deal!
3) Offbeatr Wants To Be The Kickstarter For XXX Startups (ReadWriteWeb) - First of all, props to whomever came up with the name. Offbeatr cracks me up. Have you been wanting to invest in a porn project but didn't know where to look? Your problem is solved.
4) What Successful People Do With The First Hour Of Their Work Day (Fast Company) - This is a great list, and I really wish I were more disciplined about this stuff. I'm the biggest offender of checking emails first thing in the morning. Not sure what I expect to find there that's so important.
5) The Science of Badass: How Nasty Gal Avoided Ecommerce Gimmicks and Silicon Beach to Bank $40m and a New Line (Pando Daily) - If I had a daughter, I'd make her read this at least five times. Not that it only applies to women; far from it. This is about a 27-year old who bootstrapped a company with her own cash and grew it to $130+ million in revenues this year. Great success story.
6) Understanding the Dangers of “Ego-Depletion” (Four Hour Work Week) - Interesting article about the factors which cause you to make bad decisions.
7) Hilarious Gawker) - You gotta love the Internet. Never before have consumers had so much power to call a company out when it does something stupid. Some of these reviews are hilarious.Reviewers Take on Bic’s Stupid, Sexist ‘For Her’ Women’s Pens (
8) Colleges Ship Freshmen To Paris To Boost Tuition Coffers (Bloomberg) - Okay, this is funny. Imagine being a high school senior and getting accepted to NYU. Great, right? But what's this fine print? I have to spend my freshman year in France? I don't even speak French!
9) Beggar had a million-dollar photo collection - and his death is a mystery (NY Post) - Every so often you see a story about some eccentric millionaire who chose to live among the homeless. That's not exactly the case here, but pretty close. And this poor guy may have even been murdered when someone found out what he was worth.
10) The 5 Most Ridiculous Drinking Myths You Probably Believe (Cracked) - There's no such thing as a beer gut? Au contraire, mon frere.
Video of the Week:
I've long been fascinated by the different ways people react and cope when horrible stuff happens to them out of the blue. What do you do when you're just going about your business and life decides to take a huge shit on you? The following trailer is the true story of a family on vacation in 2004 when the tsunami hit. The actual tsunami scene is nothing short of terrifying, and the story of how the family gets back together looks awesome. I'm definitely going to be checking this one out when it hits the theaters:
That's it for this week, guys. We're staring down the barrel of a long weekend, and it's back to business after that. Make the most of the time off and be safe. Have a tremendous weekend.