As sick as it sounds, I've been waiting for an event like this to blog.
This announcement seems unprecendented and its big enough to be able to make a profitable financial play.
Here are my thoughts:
While this might bring joy and relief tonight, tomorrow morning the feeling is going to turn into uncertainty. We all know uncertainty brings volatility so what can we do?
I predict the following:
- Shock depreciation of the Korean Won against the USD
- Depreciation of the Yen against the USD
- Selloff of Korean sov and corps, leading to a rise in korean rates.
-Widening of the long-short spread of Korean won denominated bonds
So if my predictions pan out, would this be the play?
- Short won/long usd
- Borrow in Korea, lend in USA/Canada/Swiss
Can't think of other plays
What can you come up with monkeys? What is your financial play based on these news?
Don't Miss This Awesome Related WSO Content
- What's the difference between l/s equity HFs and event driven HFs?
- Path to Global Macro/Event-Driven HF
- what's a typical day like as a global macro hedge fund analyst?
- What's the Doomed Dollar Play?
- What's the best way to play my hand? Advice or Insight much appreciated
- What's the difference between Global coordinator and Global bookrunner?
- trade4size's blog- Working on an equity event driven desk
- What's the difference between a Equity research financial model and a credit research financial model?