2023 ADC/APD Summer Programs/Full-Time Applications Thread

Noticed that we don't have a similar thread like previous years for ADC/APD application this year so figured I'd set up one so that so people could ask questions or share updates as they prepare for recruiting season. 

Below are relevant firms and ongoing programs.

Summer Programs:

Other firms of interest include:

• Health Advances
  • IQVIA
  • Putnam
  • Clarion
  • CRA

Feel free to add in additional firms that are recruiting for PhD but not on this list.

Received the link too! Does everyone get to receive the game invitation?

Has anyone received any info from Bain ADvantage yet? 

It's not office specific this year. There are couple or time slots you can choose in multiple offices. Email says pick your first prefer office unless you are not available.

Anyone interviewed with Connect to ClearView? Wondering when I should be expecting the result after interview. 

I have 2 questions about the MBB bridge programs for those with some insider insights:
1) For McKinsey insight, if you screw up on the game (did not finish on time, did not meet objectives), does it mean it is over for you even if you have an amazing resume? How much is it weighted and how does the game impact FT recruitment? If I mess up the game, should I even bother to apply full time if I do not get insight?

2) If you not did get invited to Bain workshop, does it mean automatic rejection from their ADvantage program. I submited my app close to deadline. 

Thanks! 

These are just my opinions:

1) From last year's results, the game is a crucial part of the evaluation or, effectively, round 2 (round 1 being your resume). Most offerees I know did not do too badly in the games.

2) Again, last year a few people got AD/FT interviews without the workshop invitation. Some people who got into the workshop ended up getting no interviews. But in most cases, the workshop could guarantee at least an FT interview last year.

The McKinsey games were really quite difficult and they actually have right and wrong answers so I can see how they use it for weeding people. For the second Redrock (I think that was the name?? Please correct me if I am wrong) Lab game, I finished only 7 of the 10 cases. Does anyone know if not finishing all the cases is an automatic fail? 

The Pymetrics games, on the other hand, aren't difficult and there's no right or wrong answer...as far as I can tell. So I have no clue how they use the test to determine a candidate's potential. 

Application indicated you were considered for the event closest to you for environmental reasons lol. The DC one was the event that sent the invite.

There are plenty of examples from previous years that got rejected by the summer programs but still got an offer. I know BCG took in a lot of ADCs in FT recruitment last year.

mali2ggg-.

Anyone aware if recruiting is more difficult this year in particular? For both summer and FT positions 

Based on anecdotal evidence, yes. The MBBs are definitely slowing hiring this year. They over-hired to keep up with the boom of the past few year's demand (low interest rates, etc.), and with the current turndown, they are overstaffed and looking to trim. Hopefully it bottoms out in the next 12 months and hiring picks up again after.

All firms say these kinds of program are separated with FT applications. So, the rejection shouldn't affect your 1st round if you're good enough to pass the screening.

mon29ik

Most Helpful

Here’s my application record so far:

• McKinsey Insight: successful – notified 3/16 morning, West Coast;
  • Bridge to BCG: rejected 3/15, generic email
  • Bain ADvantage: rejected 3/24, generic email, no invitation to case workshop etc.
  • Link to LEK: rejected 3/15 via the online portal, no email came through
  • Clarion PROPEL: invited for interview 3/24.

I am now hoping I can get the official rejection from Insight and ADvantage soon

Looking last year's thread, ADvantage will be sent out next week. The case workshop is till today. Guess Bain make final decision after all of workshops.

mon29ik

Received an insight rejection today, anyone know if this is a generic rejection or there is still hope for FT position, totally bombed the game. 
Thank you for taking the time to apply for our McKinsey Insight 2023 program. While we are very impressed with your application, we are unable to extend an invitation to this particular event. We often have to make difficult choices between many high caliber applicants for limited spots.    If you remain excited to explore opportunities with McKinsey, we hope that we may continue to get to know each other. We encourage you to consider applying for a full-time Associate opportunity as we believe your background could be a strong fit. These applications are open on April 1st, 2023 and will be due mid-June 2023. Since you already have a profile in our system, this should be a quick process! Applications submitted prior to this date will not be considered.   Please also consider filling out our interest form, Connect with McKinsey. This program is a great way to learn more about McKinsey and stay in the know on our upcoming opportunities, including invitations to events.   

Can you share what you got in your email? I also didn't get the game invite since I applied last year and rejected with the following email.

Not sure if they simply changed their rejection form or I got a one-step forward.

Thank you for expressing interest in McKinsey & Company's advanced degree summer programs, which include Insight and/or Diversity Connect. While we appreciate the time you took to submit an application, we unfortunately are unable to invite you to the program(s). We strive to meet applicants from a variety of schools and disciplines, which means we are not able to accommodate everyone. We will not be able to provide individual feedback on this decision. 

If you remain interested in our career opportunities, our full-time Associate application deadline is June 15, 2022.  Interviews for selected applicants will take place in late August/early September for opportunities with 2023 start dates (or 2024 start dates for MDs).  

Thank you again for your interest in McKinsey & Company.  

mon29ik

Here I share my application record so far:

• McKinsey Insight: rejected 3/21, Noted Connect with McKinsey
  • BCG Bridge: rejected 3/15, generic rejection 
  • Bain ADvantage: 3/23, invited to interview. 3/9-10, Coffee chat and Case Workshop invitation email. 
  • Link to LEK: rejected 3/15 via the online portal, no email yet
  • Connect to ClearView: rejected 3/8, generic rejection 
mon29ik

Got the following email from McK insight:

“Thank you for your application and for expressing interest in engaging with our recruiting team about career opportunities with McKinsey & Company.

After careful consideration of your application, we have concluded that we cannot proceed with your candidacy for the McKinsey Insight 2023 event at this time. A decision such as this is always difficult to make, as it requires us to choose from a group of highly qualified and accomplished individuals, such as yourself.

We encourage you to consider upcoming opportunities to stay connected which include, but are not limited to:

Current Job Opportunities

Connect with us on Real Life at McKinsey

Follow our Careers Blog or McKinsey's featured insights.

Despite this decision, we would like to keep your information on file for possible opportunities with us in the future. If you are not interested, please feel free to let us know.

We regret the disappointing news, but wish you continued success with your career endeavors. Thank you again for your interest in our firm!”

Seems pretty generic to me, but how generic is that sentence where it says they’ll keep my information on file for possible opportunities.

Accepted for McKinsey Insight last week, and Associates have reached out to participants scheduling virtual one-on-one chats. In the chat, they stress that Insight is non-evaluative and Insight participants will still have to apply in April separately. They once again confirmed my office preferences, since individual offices have already expressed interest in specific candidates. Selected candidates will also be invited to optional case preparation workshops in April, as well as early round interviews before the June application deadline.

One information in the email I missed was,

"You’ll receive details on how to schedule your interview by Tuesday, March 28th."

I guess the official result will be sent Mar. 28th. If you don't hear back anything by end of today, I think the chance is very low.

mon29ik

I'm in the same situation—case workshop, coffee chat, now silence. Unclear whether any further interview invites will go out. 

Rejection from me. Question about general recruiting process. For those who do Advantage, at the end they are offered an interview for a full time consultant position correct? Or is it associate? 

Now that I am not in advantage and will need to apply regularly, will I be applying for full time associate?  Or is it possible to go straight for consultant?

thanks

Good luck to all here!! I went through the interview process last year and got through my anxiety on WSO. Happy to answer questions on prep.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get into the programs. They say that they invite competitive candidates for interviews regardless and they mean that, at least MBBs. Bain recruits their ADCs primarily through their summer program but have also heard of them interviewing ADvantage rejects in their FT cycle. All three firms try to use their programs more to convince people who wouldn't apply to do so, rather than finding the most competitive candidates. 

Your 100% correct. In all honesty invitations to these programs don't improve your odds of getting the job anyways compared to someone who got their invite through the normal FT Associate application, unless of course if you did an interview to get into the program and have to do the final round after. In that case, half the battle is done once you get in. The interviews, however you get them, are the name of the game at the end of the day. In fact getting into multiple programs may potentially hurt you if you aren't interview ready by the time the programs end but need to schedule all of your interviews early so that they align and you can pick between potential offers. In that case you have less prep time compared to those who applied through the FT application later in the year. That's not to say getting in is a bad thing though since getting an interview no matter how and when you get it is hard enough, especially in a year like this one where most firms have slowed hiring.

Applied to Bain ADvantage, interviewed Wednesday and just heard back from one of the partners I interviewed with that I got the spot! Won't name office, but it's not west coast. Good luck all!

ms1993

Applied to Bain ADvantage, interviewed Wednesday and just heard back from one of the partners I interviewed with that I got the spot! Won't name office, but it's not west coast. Good luck all!

Was this D.C.? I interviewed with D.C. Wednesday and have not heard back with a rejection or invite. Think the interview went badly though...

Not DC no! I hope you find out soon. I imagine Monday is when the emails will go out. I don’t think phone calls were standard the partner I interviewed with just wanted to put me out of my misery and tell me before the weekend. Best of luck!

Does anyone know if a person who failed the ADvantage 1R interview would have a better chance for the interview for a full-time consultant role?

Is anybody still waiting to hear back from Bain ADvantage? Recruiting told me that offices are still deliberating but it seems that so many others have already heard.

Guess good sign. Rejection sent out last week some west and east coast offices.

I don't think rejection at the resume/R1 interview stage will affect FT application, i.e., as long as you are rejected before the program starts. If you are rejected after having participated in the program (i.e., during the final round), I believe you won't be considered for FT. That said, I do think Bain recruits way less APDs during FT than ADvantage, so it's probably tough.

Same thing happened to me last year. Thought the McKinsey final round cases were a joke compared to the first round but still got dinged. Feedback was short and vague but what can you do. Re-recruited at another firm this year, got an offer, and couldn't be happier.

Didn't get an offer for FT after participating in the Bain ADvantage program. Feeling very crushed, but still hopeful. Extending all love and support for all who are in the same position guys! With that being said, I hope this wouldn't hurt my chances of getting FT this summer. This thread has been a source of strength to me, and now I'm ready to continue the ride of this journey with y'all til the end of this recruiting cycle.

Believe in yourself. Being able to get invited to the Advantage program is already confirmation of your extraordinary potential.  From what I have heard, the conversion rate this year is especially low. Even the office with the highest ADvantage to FT rate is around 40%. 

Where is your source for 40%? Does low conversion mean higher bar or less spot than usual?

I participated in Advantage, and can say this is not true for all North American offices. It did seem, however, that some offices took way more participants than they were willing/able to give offers to.

How's bridge to BCG's offer rate looking this year? I heard last year, it was not as great. I got dinged but not sure if it is just cuz I wasn't ready or it was the economy this year.

I got a FT offer and know of one other guy who did from the office where I did Bridge—obviously haven’t been in touch with everyone but a few people I prepped with who I thought would get offers didn’t :/

Idk how it was this year but my impression of BCG's first round is that it's a free for all. You have the weird Casey chat box which is nothing like the standard case interviews you likely spent months prepping for. I've even heard of people claiming they bombed it by guessing or leaving parts unanswered and still making it to the final round most likely due to a having a good fit portion which itself is completely unstandardized since the Project Leaders you get assigned to for that portion have their own biases towards what a good answers are and its a gamble on whether you get one you click with. So basically in their whole first round you have no real way to show how prepared you are to actually be a good consultant. I wouldn't be surprised if there are an insane amount of false negative rejections.

from case partners & acquaintance who attended ADvantage this year. But yes, like sam222 mentioned, my data do not cover all offices. Among the ones I was shared info with, the highest is less than 40%.

For McKinsey, it's one year until you can apply to the same role again.

Heard that some people got interview invites already and was wondering if anyone heard back from Boston office or New York office for Mck? 

It looks all interview invites are already sent out on Friday. I got it mine too. West coast.

Anonymous Monkey

It looks all interview invites are already sent out on Friday. I got it mine too. West coast.

Is this for Bain’s ACI internship?

They said it will be sent out by end of today. If not, it will be the first thing tomorrow.

Resource: McKinsey zoom meeting

I've got my interview date, but without time and name of interviewer.

Has anyone ever heard from BCG FT recruiting for ADC?

Just got rejected by BCG. That wraps up this cycle for MBB for me. Good luck everyone! Probably gonna apply again next year so if anyone plans to do the same hang in there!

Sapiente iure iste et est sit. Et ea autem quod quidem. Rerum est quis rerum porro maiores. Fugit sequi dolor rerum totam ut voluptatem. Blanditiis id omnis molestiae accusamus est nulla id.

Error a dolore consequatur velit sunt vitae. Voluptatibus nesciunt velit et.

Rerum sit molestiae voluptas non. Tenetur quos delectus soluta cumque. Et sint soluta autem et sapiente. Dolorem at ea sit officiis. Esse autem odit hic omnis.

Aliquam vero sit et possimus optio minima. Minus sit deserunt dolore sed est. Aut voluptas et consequatur magni in. Libero voluptatum enim porro nam iusto. Sunt non et quia aut magnam. Dolores ut aliquam quasi voluptatem illum.

Dolorum doloribus iusto distinctio doloribus vel aut. Est suscipit autem quae sed autem odit officia.

Ut excepturi delectus officiis nisi. Temporibus aut impedit voluptas beatae fugiat quia. Commodi amet voluptas iusto quo voluptatum minima maxime. Qui non doloremque recusandae culpa vel eos veniam. Sapiente molestias quae dolor quaerat facere qui quis.

Dignissimos reiciendis totam et odio recusandae. Occaecati itaque excepturi rem possimus. Voluptas sequi et consequatur aut animi voluptas sed.

Nesciunt quam unde voluptatem voluptates nihil. Fugit nihil itaque aut saepe ratione. Enim deleniti cumque quam mollitia. Id aut repellendus temporibus perferendis sed officiis.

Reiciendis quaerat assumenda sint ut mollitia velit. Expedita vel voluptatibus repellendus non magni. Vero alias adipisci aut suscipit. Dolores sequi placeat omnis aperiam voluptatibus non ut. Dolores corporis fugiat laudantium consequatur ut qui. Autem fuga consequatur quae nihil eligendi.

Vel voluptatem dignissimos omnis exercitationem in maxime mollitia et. Provident mollitia necessitatibus quia voluptatem voluptatem. Est laudantium asperiores iusto repudiandae enim est aut. Nihil consequatur provident eligendi veritatis ipsam blanditiis nesciunt. Quia aut temporibus eum qui qui amet. Illum sunt nihil nihil. Dolor consequuntur similique voluptas molestiae aut quia.

Vitae aliquam doloribus voluptatem reprehenderit perferendis. Minima nisi repellendus facilis nobis ad dolore. Et saepe aut consequuntur delectus soluta laborum. Est occaecati quo consequatur eaque fugit commodi.

Voluptatem pariatur quam nostrum fuga rerum. Debitis et eligendi sunt tempora.

Quis eius rerum aliquid odit deserunt eius voluptate earum. Itaque in ducimus id perferendis tempora aliquam. Et minima sit aut. Sint molestiae rerum vel. Asperiores rerum nostrum et dolorem assumenda.

Hic excepturi aut ut est incidunt adipisci a recusandae. Consequatur distinctio iure cumque ipsa saepe eligendi ipsum.

Voluptas recusandae qui et magnam iste aut. Nostrum aspernatur hic voluptatem et. Deleniti quae expedita eligendi voluptatem. Harum et sit voluptas quibusdam tempore occaecati asperiores non. Amet consequatur vitae cumque omnis excepturi.

Qui quibusdam veritatis placeat quaerat voluptatem nesciunt velit. Dolorum atque eaque qui veritatis cum explicabo ipsa assumenda. Ipsum dolorum ipsum accusantium quos.

Molestiae id culpa ea voluptatum omnis qui. Delectus ex voluptas nihil asperiores maxime consectetur nulla. Enim dolorem repellendus dolore vitae molestias.

Iusto quaerat voluptatem modi non. Voluptas officia sed dolorem earum odio quibusdam. Et aperiam officiis ex qui voluptatem ratione. Soluta ab iure libero vel enim.

Quae quisquam dolorem illum et ipsa. Aut voluptate consequatur aut. Est sit corrupti praesentium ea. Veritatis eveniet beatae consequatur voluptatem aut minus animi. Perspiciatis ad maxime dolorum magnam illo. Et illum velit sint tempora voluptatem quod ipsum. Eos dolor alias quia reprehenderit iure reprehenderit et.

Culpa est pariatur iusto odit sunt beatae. Necessitatibus porro aspernatur consequatur ut vel.

Dicta atque vel veniam incidunt. Rerum minus et ipsum quaerat deserunt. Magnam voluptatem enim vel natus. Rerum qui iste eum aut sint tempore iste. Ea consequatur ea impedit adipisci consequuntur. Blanditiis eos ducimus consequatur quam quis mollitia dolorem. Consequatur rerum nesciunt sunt natus maxime.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (588) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (345) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (190) $83
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”