Apr 21, 2024

2024 Questions List - LevFin and Private Credit

Hi everyone - I will intern in PC next year and I was thinking of making a very exhaustive post for everyone who wants to try to get into LevFin or Private Credit, and who don't really know what to expect, how to choose among the diverse career opportunities, which are the best groups to apply to, or any practical questions about the debt universe in general. Whatever goes through your mind. And I would try my best to summarize your responses so that everyone could benefit from it :)

If you are in the field or have some knowledge you would like to share I would really appreciate it, as I have limited information myself and would really like to know the thought process behind the answers.

Here's a preliminary list of questions that I prepared that I think could be very valuable to those like me who are trying to plan the next few years of my career and want to get the details right:

1. How are LevFin and Private Credit different? What are the similarities? Do both share a similar "investor" approach since some BBs actually keep the loans in their portfolio?
  2. What are the best places for a career in LevFin? Which ones involve the most modelling and which ones are rather passive in the process?
  3. Is there a realistic potential for a career in LevFin or Private Credit outside of US / UK? Any well regarded institutions that stand out?
  4. I saw that BBs also have Private Credit arms (e.g.: GS) and I was wondering if it's a recent occurrence? Is it the BB's cash that is being deployed (which I think would be weird given regulations) or is it collected from external investors?
  5. I heard that for DB, there's been a mention of LDCM and LevFin teams, are those essentially the same? Or one focuses more on the execution, and the other focuses on the actual syndication / marketing / running the books?
  6. Is it hard to start a career in PC directly, or would you suggest taking the LevFin path for a couple of years before making the transition?
  7. As a firm, why would you go to a BB's LevFin team rather than a PC fund? Are PC funds almost always asking for higher interest margins than BB's purely due to the fact that they can customize the loan and be more open to whom they lend, or are there situations where a PC fund can price it cheaper? Why would a Large Cap firm consider a PC fund instead of a BB? (as was the case lately)

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have some additional questions you'd like me to add to the list please let me know, and I will update the post accordingly.

Based on the most helpful WSO content, here are some insights into your questions about LevFin and Private Credit:

1. Differences and Similarities between LevFin and Private Credit:

• LevFin (Leveraged Finance) typically involves arranging and providing loans to companies that are considered to be more leveraged than usual. This is often done by banks and focuses on syndicated loans that can be sold to other investors.
    • Private Credit refers to direct lending to companies, bypassing traditional bank lending and syndication. This can include a variety of debt instruments and is typically done by private credit funds.
    • Both areas can involve holding loans on balance sheets, especially in banks that have both LevFin and Private Credit arms. They share a focus on detailed credit analysis and risk assessment but differ in their execution and market approach.
  2. Best Places for a Career in LevFin:

• Top investment banks with strong LevFin departments are highly regarded, such as J.P. Morgan, Bank of America, and Citigroup.
    • The roles involving the most modeling are typically found in the banks where detailed financial models are used to assess the creditworthiness and structure deals. More passive roles might be found in asset management or funds that invest in syndicated loans rather than originating them.
  3. Career in LevFin or Private Credit outside of US/UK:

• There are realistic potentials for careers in both fields outside of the US and UK, particularly in financial hubs such as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Frankfurt.
    • Well-regarded institutions include HSBC, Deutsche Bank, and BNP Paribas, which have strong international presence and robust credit departments.
  4. Private Credit Arms in Bulge Bracket Banks:

• Some bulge bracket banks like Goldman Sachs have developed private credit arms recently. This is often a response to the growing demand for private credit solutions and the high yields associated with them.
    • The capital deployed can be a mix of the bank's own balance sheet and capital raised from external investors, depending on the bank's strategy and regulatory environment.
  5. Difference between LDCM and LevFin Teams:

• In some banks like Deutsche Bank, the LDCM (Loan & Debt Capital Markets) might focus more on the structuring, syndication, and sale of debt products.
    • LevFin might be more involved in the initial stages of deal structuring and execution, working closely with clients to develop financing solutions.
  6. Starting a Career in Private Credit vs. LevFin:

• Starting directly in Private Credit is feasible, especially with the growth of private credit funds. However, gaining experience in LevFin at a bank can provide robust training in credit analysis and deal structuring, which are valuable in Private Credit.
  7. Choosing Between BB's LevFin Team and a PC Fund:

• PC funds may offer higher interest margins due to their ability to take on higher risk profiles and provide bespoke financing solutions. They might be more flexible compared to traditional bank financing.
    • A large cap firm might consider a PC fund for more tailored, flexible, and potentially quicker financing solutions, despite potentially higher costs.

These insights should help clarify the landscape of LevFin and Private Credit and assist in making informed career decisions. If you have more specific questions or need further details, feel free to ask!

Sources: Private Debt/Direct Lending/Private Credit - What are the differences? Best firms with WLB, Q&A: BB LevFin - Mezzanine - Opportunistic PE, Private Credit Resources and Prep, Overview of Leveraged Finance, Levfin VS Leveraged Lending?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

Cum mollitia voluptatum pariatur quia. Possimus neque sed est ut. Est sed dolorem magnam sit dolore.

Nam ab animi aut labore rerum voluptatem non. Modi doloribus adipisci et adipisci voluptates corporis. Repudiandae optio hic dolor. Vitae distinctio iste ut eos ipsum libero. Et ut rerum delectus adipisci at eaque error. Quia aut culpa necessitatibus. Minus accusamus illum qui odio laborum.

Ad quo quod molestias enim. Odio dolorem eum labore dolorem quod quibusdam.

Doloremque quas illum laudantium reprehenderit maiores ea. Dolor dolor distinctio officia consequatur tempora non numquam. Iure ut ut voluptatem modi ut aliquid.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”