From another post, last years full figures were: 

Aso1: 25k

Aso2: 60k

No need to bump this, our figures are disclosed tomorrow and I’m sure this thread will be very, very interesting.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Heard around that WB had another round of layoffs recently, not sure how extensive

Didn't think it was possible to be worse than last year

Ain't no way a 3yr analyst's comp is 70k GBP. If so, WB must be a pretty crappy place to work at. I earned 50k as a non-IB non-BB offcycle intern last year in London lol.

If you’re an AN3 in London, which you seem to be based on your profile, you’re at $115k base, not $90k. You would’ve also gotten a half year bonus as a third-year (assuming you’ve been with the firm long enough) of $20k in addition to your YE bonus of $5k, which should be combined as your total FY23 Bonus.

Why call the incentive comp something other than a bonus?

Not that I work there, but I would be rushing for the doors. Numbers I heard are TERRIBLE. 

Oh, I don't know, anywhere besides Blair? Why would anyone with self respect work these types of hours for this pay? The common theme in the bullpen has become  envying the people who were laid off last year. 

I would encourage people to leave, and ignore work to job search, interview, etc.

Big picture—yes, fortunate to have a job and get experience etc. We can acknowledge that.

That being said, it is insane to work banker hours to be slapped in the face for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW at a private company that gargles all day long about partnership and culture etc.

Didn’t they have mass layoffs in 2023 as well?

Baird and Blair have lit their reputations on fire and can’t see another mba associate candidate ever taking them seriously again.

I’m truly sorry for all those at WB, please don’t accept this and work to move ASAP

Can someone shed some light on where Blair went wrong? Layoffs, horrible bonuses, low return offers and things don’t seem to be getting much better.

It’s a down year for the industry yes but they stand out due to a) bad pay last year followed by b) significant layoffs followed by c) incredibly low comp this year

Not saying the market is in their hands but this many missteps in a row is not industry wide, uniquely poor management and thoughtfulness over the past 18-24 months

WB was hiring like the 2021 market was never going to cool down, definitely paying the price now

Sooo many deals being worked on that just die because bids aren’t high enough. Not a lot Blair can do about that

They could shut down low quality deals to enable rationalizing headcount equating to efficiency and higher comp. But wtf do I know? I'm not one of the geniuses running William Blair. 

Controversial

Several factors, some issues are market driven and others are self inflicted.  In no particular order:

- Horrible market last two years for sponsor-oriented sell-sides which is majority of WB revenue

- No offsetting products (restructuring, large cap) to pivot to when sponsor sell-sides dry up

- Highly levered cost base (beautiful offices around globe, BB-type overhead [think big philanthropy / resource groups, overlay sales teams which are not revenue generating]) that is sized for 2020 levels of activity

- Last ones drinking from punch bowl in 2021 when market started to show signs of stress.  Think lateral hires, spac teams, etc. coming over with guarantees

- No reserves to soften blow in down years - they pay out all profits in year earned.  So people got paid in 2020/2021, but nothing left now

But mostly, a fixed cost problem.  Too many people /  committees hanging around in non-revenue generating roles.  And that is on leadership

I used to work for a senior partner who’d just left Blair. This was 2021/2022 or so. He gave most of the same reasons you listed when I asked him why he left. Apparently there was strife between partners because some of them were apprehensive about opening new offices every year, launching new product teams, hiring tons of expensive people, etc. The market had started to falter a little at this point so he may have had the gift of hindsight, but he told me they had clearly built up too big of a fixed cost base and were going to get burned when the market cooled from all-time high volume. If I remember correctly the strategy was to go from a MM bank to more of a broader EB-style bank, but it seems they tried to do it all at once on the back of an unsustainable market peak.

My friends at Billy Blair, please make sure you mark yourselves safe when you can

Consolidated Analyst Compensation Data:

AN3 Top Bucket: $155k Total Comp ($115k Base)

AN3 Mid Bucket: $145k Total Comp ($115k Base)

AN2 Top Bucket: $135k Total Comp ($100k Base)

AN2 Mid Bucket: $120k Total Comp ($100k Base)

AN1 Mid Bucket: $105k Total Comp ($90k Base)

Consolidated Associate Compensation Data:

A1 Unknown Bucket: $155k Total Comp ($145k Base)

A2 Top Bucket: $200k Total Comp + Unknown Deferred Incentive Package ($160k Base)

Other:

Delayed promotions across all titles

Significant layoffs during 2023 (~25% of IBD Headcount)

Low bonuses in 2023 as well (https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/wb-bonuses)

Do NOT go to WB aspiring monkeys!

How long will it take the partners at William Blair to hold senior management  accountable for its precipitous decline? They’ve completely ruined their reputation as having one of the best cultures on the street in one year’s time, and any prospect should think twice before joining. Management has always praised themselves for the culture and how well they treat their people but continues to blame everything on market conditions without taking any responsibility for their missteps. In the end, the junior bankers bear the brunt of this mismanagement, and I hope everyone there is looking for the exits immediately. 

The only way employees regain confidence in the institution is through the removal of senior management. In 2022, Facebook had the year of efficiency. William Blair needs the year of accountability.  

Every associate should definitely quit tomorrow. This is like a 4-quadrant game theory situation where everyone can work together to get maximum collective gain or not work together and not get maximum gain. Here, the maximum gain is blowing a hole in the side of WB for gross mistreatment over TWO STRAIGHT BONUS CYCLES. I would quite quit and not log in and try to collect as many bi-weekly paychecks as possible. If you go totally dark for two months, that’s 2/12 * $200k of base for an ASO2 and you can look for another job. Might as well switch to a local Chicago boutique that does LMM deals.

Anyone excusing this pathetic pay as "market related" is too stupid to be a banker. Leadership obviously fucked up more than any other bank. First step is to end the gaslighting and admit it. Stop talking about your bullshit low quality backlog that mysteriously won't convert. Stop acting like you did everyone a favor by doing 20% layoffs instead of larger layoffs you should have done. Stop employing worthless MDs that will never bring in revenue in a higher interest rate environment. Stop employing learning and development / operation groups as large and costly as what you would expect at a BB. Start acting with urgency and recognize that if you repeat this for a third year nobody is being dramatic when they say this bank is completely and utterly finished

I don't think we're close to 2008/2009. Citi, not ever known to be a good payer, just payed certain ASO3's $450k. PJT and CVP paying over $400k to ASO1's. Compare that to ASO1 and ASO3 comp of $190k and $270k, respectively, at Blair. I made $180k as a second year analyst in 2019 at a BB. Citi, the always weak payer had a down year but dealt with it at least somewhat respectably. Goldman also paid like it was 2018/2019. Blair and Baird are just a total clown show.

I don't think we're close to 2008/2009. Citi, not ever known to be a good payer, just payed certain ASO3's $450k. PJT and CVP paying over $400k to ASO1's. Compare that to ASO1 and ASO3 comp of $190k and $270k, respectively, at Blair. I made $180k as a second year analyst in 2019 at a BB. Citi, the always weak payer had a down year but dealt with it at least somewhat respectably. Goldman also paid like it was 2018/2019. Blair and Baird are just a total clown show.

I said recession. And compared the humble posts in 2009 where posters were thankful to have a job.

Blair is super leveraged to (1) tech and (2) SPACs with minimal deal flow this year…and people were expecting good bonuses? 

for what? Blair IB didn’t do shit and got paid accordingly. They do not have counter cyclical businesses to offset weak M&A. 

They got way ahead of their skis in 2021. Doubled workforce in a year, many lateral hires, paid out absurd bonuses after pandemic. The music stopped and fixed costs are out of control. The market dried up this year, no doubt, but they are uniquely positioned (in the wrong way). Most of their own doing.

More importantly, this growth annihilated culture. I know it is easy to brush off soft topics, but this is a standard business school case study of growing too fast. You couple this with the way below average analyst pool that came out of COVID, and it’s a perfect storm for miserable people and culture. This bonus is icing on the cake, and a function of all of this.

I worked there pre-pandemic and still have many connections there. Hope they can turn this around but it is going to hurt. Bad.

A lot of their pain is because during this tough year BBs are going down market to grab mm deals that WB normally does.  Can confirm my BB basically survived this year by doing these types of deals that WB would normally do and we wouldn't touch.

Funniest

My boy works in their industrials group. He owes them money

Young bloods this is how it starts. It's coming for other banks as well.

Leadership isn’t dumb. They all know 3 things:

• WB employees don’t have many alternatives. Hiring for deal related finance is slowing because the market is slowing. What’s a WB analyst going to do? Go to Goldman? They aren’t going to take all them. A few might leave the firm, but they need to get rid of people anyway. Many will not be able to find a job that pays the base a bankers salary does. WB leadership also knows bonuses will be crap across the street and they probably know what competitors will pay.
  • Bankers are risk averse. They can complain and act like they will revolt and do something, but many are too risk averse to leave their job and too status obsessed to admit to people around them their job isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. Many have built up institutional inertia and the high performers are being assured—“it’s a rough patch and we will reward those who see it through.” In some sense that’s not a lie, but that doesn’t mean they won’t cut you if they need to.
  • A lot easier to pay crap bonuses than lay people off. Those who are truly loyal to the company don’t care about pay and will stay and WB will have cheap labor. This is effectively a cost effective layoff. Those who leave are the ones who likely were going to leave anyway because they weren’t truly loyal discliples. They need to get rid of people anyway, so they don’t care if people exit. Having people quit is more cost effective than canning.

Two points y’all miss:

1. Market was great, they made bread, now they are cutting expenses and leaving juniors to hold the bag. Y’all can act like they “didn’t grow sustainably” or did some reputational damage, but everyone knows they just captured the revenue opportunity and now are needing to cut.
  2. 5 years from now no one will care about how they treated the current workers if they pay well again. Bankers and sharp undergrads and b school people are mercenaries. Y’all have 0 loyalty and the firm has 0 loyalty to you. I’m sure there will be another analyst, associate, or VP to take the place of whoever leaves 5 years from now. No one will care that the firm paid crap bonuses if the year prior paid well.

Yall can act like you have principles, but you don’t and they don’t either. Make the bag and go home. Also, don’t think y’all are safe at other places, it’s coming. 

I empathize with you. I’m sorry and it sucks.

Being more productive than my other comment above, I would recommend the following:

• Realize your job shouldn’t be your primary source of happiness or pride. Friends and family should be.
  • Consider why banking is the right career path and what it allows you to do that other jobs wouldn’t.

Learning that employers aren’t your friend and they have no obligation to work in your interest is a painful, but very important lesson.

If you want to drive the the ship and not be affected by macro shifts that are out of your control, you need to find a new industry or be so good at your job that you know at the drop of a hat you can go find employment elsewhere. Being honest, the really smart bankers are either high enough at WB that they were somewhat part of the decision to screw the juniors or aware of it and ok with it or they have left the firm by now, or they just really like their group and are fine being underpaid for a few years because they see some long term comp play or flexibility.

This ignores the fact that by doing this, they encourage the majority of their work force to "quiet quit" including senior VPs, Directors, and some MDs even.

Yeah they are too risk averse to leave like you noted (and there are not many places to go), but they will be unmotivated, stop scheduling as many meetings as before, be less responsive to clients, and generally not pull their weight. Why would they work as a banker while getting paid what someone in HR makes.

Get a few years of this mentality, and you have a shit culture, shit recruiting, subpar MDs, and the firm works on shit deals with shit clients.

Doesn't surprise me you are in PE.  You guys view the bottom line, margins, costing cutting and cheap labor as the main thing that determines success/risk in a business, when its the TALENT and CULTURE that actually separates the truly great companies from those circling the drain.

Not actually in PE. Further, lots of different ways to run PE shops, so this isn’t really accurate. Hell, if anything most PE shops the last decade have been less cost cutters and more “grow at all costs and pass to the next guy” shops. The view that PE shops just cut jobs is an outdated 80s/90s view of PE.

Ignoring that though, it’s business and capitalism, I’m sorry it sucks. Most people that are investors or partners don’t want the business run sustainably, they want as much profit in as short a time as possible.

One day you can hopefully run a business the way you like and never lay off employees. Gotta find investors that are willing to underperform competitors in order to hold on to moral principles though and that’s hard. 

Will have to agree with some of the sentiment above - ultimately it's easier to have people quit on their own than to do layoffs. One avg/underperforming VP in my prior group received no bonus for year end, and this was when deal flow was actually good and many others in the group received a decently high comp.

He got his act together and respectfully left the team, along with another VP who also got no bonus.

Adding a point to this too that people are missing, would you rather:

• get laid off and have to look for a job explaining to people you don’t have a job while you have the stress of not making any income?
  • Begin searching for a job while you are still employed and explain to people that they paid crap bonuses so you want to leave

They actually did the nice thing by not doing layoffs. It allows people to find options and maximize for themselves without throwing anyone on the street.

They already fired ~25% of IBD HC back in March; bonuses in 2023 were extremely low as well; delayed promotions for good performers + horrible bonuses now.

They are not doing the “nice” thing.

They did not do the nice thing. In fact, the sentiment has become envying those who were laid off because most ended up somewhere better after a few months of severance. 

One big thing you're missing in your theory. Do they still want some people to leave? Certainly, depending on group and level. Those are the people that got $0 bonuses. But for most of the firm, it's turning into a retention problem driving the decision to add in an incentive comp program. Considering that a lot of your points are just wrong. 

Although the senior partners maybe superb bankers, they haven't proven they can actually manage the firm well. 

It is absolutely unfathomable that the partners never considered holding back some retained earnings/reserves to help the company navigate choppy market conditions. They simply paid everything out and started to commit to high fixed spending (lavish offices, expansion etc.)

That's the issue with these partner run companies. In bad markets, if the firm maintains strong payouts, it comes from the partners. With no reserves, the partners would have to take a big pay cut or even chip in some claw backs. Good luck trying to get a bunch of greedy partners to do the latter. Hence, this is the result. 

Et veniam reiciendis earum voluptatem quia. Tempore vel odit in cumque. Hic maiores veniam fugit qui ea. Et id id eos consequatur dolores quia qui. Fuga id unde nulla commodi et.

Vel et voluptas quia totam natus. Expedita ut sit omnis occaecati. Praesentium cum rem officia dolor odit. Autem accusamus consequuntur exercitationem ut.

Exercitationem sed aut dolorum rerum. Aut pariatur reiciendis iure sapiente reiciendis. Nesciunt a voluptates quia omnis rerum. Doloremque deserunt qui adipisci dolorum sit fugiat cumque. Dolorem corporis illum qui provident.

Sed ducimus fugiat nulla natus et omnis ea. Odit blanditiis earum blanditiis modi debitis. Porro unde beatae ea esse quaerat. Quia beatae optio ut dolores nihil. Et nihil modi in expedita.

Ipsam possimus sapiente porro pariatur. Fugit et sapiente tenetur error.

Voluptatum corrupti vero dolorum qui ea. Architecto aspernatur tempora enim voluptatem. Vitae aspernatur veniam eligendi debitis nesciunt tempora magni. Quisquam possimus enim aut cupiditate possimus.

Ipsa aut velit fuga dignissimos. Itaque doloribus error facilis. Sed ut consequatur quaerat voluptatem molestiae quibusdam fugit. Dolor atque nihil dicta eos quia ut aut quasi.

Sed enim odit corporis dignissimos nostrum commodi ut. Id soluta et voluptatibus qui. Quidem natus quia dolor veritatis enim.

Consectetur impedit voluptas non aut. Dolorem amet labore non ab velit repellat alias id.

Necessitatibus quo sit velit nesciunt est necessitatibus. Non velit dolor repellendus et sed iusto autem. Nesciunt velit magnam et accusantium a molestiae quis incidunt. Illo optio inventore recusandae amet aliquam iure vel.

Ut a molestiae vel minus et omnis. Voluptatum accusamus sequi blanditiis voluptatem non. Enim dolores eos ut sed voluptas quae.

Voluptatem mollitia molestiae consectetur nihil rem ab. Esse et vel temporibus quisquam nostrum deleniti. Aut qui ad eum dicta similique velit nihil. Necessitatibus illum sunt eligendi vitae dignissimos vel quasi.

Aperiam magni et corrupti iure in nihil ratione. Consequatur velit non qui voluptas id. Sint impedit sint non cupiditate culpa id esse. Quis nostrum blanditiis rerum quod magnam. Recusandae fugiat perspiciatis neque aspernatur. Deleniti at officia rem adipisci libero beatae.

Aut ad reiciendis repellat dolorum eligendi ducimus vel numquam. Voluptas reiciendis ducimus quos sequi ut sunt. Vel et est et expedita aliquid. Vel debitis velit impedit corrupti ab.

Ut a accusantium reprehenderit. Rerum sit rerum ut sapiente asperiores cupiditate. Cupiditate consequatur facilis aut culpa fugiat aspernatur saepe.

Omnis ut provident quas. Mollitia autem et est et. Est qui corrupti labore maxime. Aut quos ut eveniet alias quia in. Natus laboriosam aut eum sint ea qui. Explicabo et quisquam ipsa. Quis et a numquam quis.

Neque eaque quo ad et ea dolores est molestiae. Perferendis sunt corporis nostrum omnis perferendis. Architecto qui et nobis neque laudantium.

Nobis sunt ipsam ut excepturi. Animi provident asperiores a velit accusamus iste reiciendis. Odit suscipit ut aperiam consequuntur vel et dolores. Quidem ipsum velit minus modi facere omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”