12/16/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

7 Tips for Office / Holiday Parties
Post By @thebrofessor"

Assuming you are there purely to improve your career prospects, here are the keys to the kingdom young padawans.

Do you Drink at Work?
Post By @PatStar120"

Has anyone ever had alcohol at the workplace in your current job? Do you have any good stories to share about drinking at your workplace?

How do you stay active during a cold winter?
Post By @tgi-finance"

How do you guys stay active in the cold weather?

Make Hay While the Sun Shines
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

There were a couple of different ways I could have gone this week. I could have talked about Silicon Valley ascending the Tower of Mauron to meet Trumplethinskin. I could have also discussed the official launch of Google's driverless car company, Waymo. Instead, I decided to write about something near and dear to all our hearts: avoiding the indignity of being forced to perform back alley handies in our twilight years just to be able to afford cat food.

Shorting Stocks: My Research Process & 7 Rules I Follow
Post By @thewaterpiper"

I short quite a lot at my current shop. My shorting strategies can be split into 4 categories: low quality companies which are misunderstood, thematic shorts, fraud, and hedging trades.

The Why Vs. The What - GOOGL Vs. AAPL
Post By @The Uncontortionist"

I was looking over some of my investments the other day (particularly AAPL and GOOGL) and was trying to pinpoint why I decided to go long on Google and short on Apple. What it came down to was more of a feeling based around this idea that companies, especially now and particularly in tech, need to win people over more than just sell great products.

No country for old I-bankers (starting a mid-career thread for finance professionals)
Post By @earthwalker7"

Where do mid-career finance professionals go after banking? I ended up in PE. It is quite amusing to see the many young members wanting to get into PE. However once you are here, it seems like it is nearly impossible to get carry unless you become a founder or partner, and there is no clear path to get to that level.

Gary Cohn for Head of National Economic Council
Post By @NassLaMenace"

After headhunting Steve Mnuchin for Secretary of Treasury, Trump set his eyes on Gary Cohn, the COO and second man of Goldman Sachs, to become his Head of National Economic Council. I guess soon, we would see posts like: "AMA: Target School -> IB Analyst -> Top 15 MBA -> MD BB -> Secretary of Treasury."

Trump Names Secretary of State
Post By @WheyOfLife"

Trump announced his plans to nominate Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson to be his Secretary of State. What do you think of Trump's nomination?

What are the most overrated movies?
Post By @SaraHampar"

I thought the Revenant as a pretty mediocre film, along with the Hateful Eight.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”