Writers Predict the Year 2012

This actually comes courtesy of a buddy at mine who works at Facebook. He emailed me this great article about predictions about the future made by famous Sci-Fi writers. I've pulled a few brilliant snippits that were actually spot on for everyone to read. I'd definitely say to take a look.

Gregory Benford]<br /> The Dow-Jones Industrial Average stands at 8,400, but the dollar is worth a third of today's.</p> <p>Oil is running out, but shale-extracted oil is getting cheaper. The real shortage in much of the world is…water.</p> <p>The outer-directed, social-issues consciousness of the USA, only nascent in 1987, will have peaked and run its course…leading to a fresh period of inward-directed values, perhaps even indulgence…though there will be less ability to indulge.</p> <p>The French will still like odd Americans, unhonored in their own land (like the comedian Jerry Lewis), and will have just produced another desiccating critical theory of literature. Their food will be the same, too.</p> <p>I will be old, but not dead. Come by to see me, and bring a bottle.[/qoute]</p> <p>[quote=Robert Silverberg:
We're coming out of a time of troubles into a time of risks and promise—as we have been doing since the beginning of history. I think the 21st century will be a time of terror, surprises, miracles, and glory—with the emphasis on surprises and miracles.

Dave Wolverton:

In 2012 We will see that economic cycles caused by rises in technological levels will begin to level out—countries that have a falsely inflated economy will be forced to export their technologies to third-world countries where people are willing to work for less money. This will lead to a situation where knowledge, the key to our technologic success, will be spread across the world. We'll see rapid decreases in starvation levels, but will still be plagued with political turmoil.

There is one, in particular, that I highly suggest that everyone here read - and that's the prediction of Jack Williamson. His was the most interesting of all of the ones posted. It's fantastic and the best prediction, in my opinion, of the ones listed.

This shows how pointless it is to predict the future. This was written in 1987, two years before the fall of the Berlin Wall, and at least one author is talking about the easy accord between the Soviet Union and the US in 2012, among many other wildly inaccurate predictions.

I think writing down predictions is useful, because it forces you to stay humble.

Japan will be the central economic power in the world, owning or controlling a significant part of European and American industries. This "economic dictatorship" will be beneficial to Japan's client states, since Japan benefits by keeping its customers healthy and wealthy. Indeed, a peaceful and prosperous world community will owe its existence to this Pax Japanica.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/company/goldman-sachs><abbr title=Goldman Sachs&#10;>GS</abbr></a></span>:
Japan will be the central economic power in the world, owning or controlling a significant part of European and American industries. This "economic dictatorship" will be beneficial to Japan's client states, since Japan benefits by keeping its customers healthy and wealthy. Indeed, a peaceful and prosperous world community will owe its existence to this Pax Japanica.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I second that.

Competition is a sin. -John D. Rockefeller

Temporibus dolores ut eveniet vel qui et harum. Nobis sunt accusantium adipisci porro autem voluptatum fuga. Eligendi nesciunt suscipit labore nam similique nihil rerum. Sunt sed eveniet delectus aperiam. Illo quae placeat est voluptatibus est.

Non reprehenderit accusamus ut fugiat. Molestias ducimus aliquid voluptas tempora et nam est. Quia nam ad quia qui a recusandae. Neque placeat non culpa qui.

Pariatur quod dignissimos natus. Doloribus fuga consectetur animi dolorum quidem. Consequatur qui molestiae saepe fugit. Amet et unde repudiandae illo sit nulla ratione. Dolorum debitis sint id neque. Non nesciunt id magnam.

Ex minus iste blanditiis porro officiis omnis veritatis. Quis optio aut modi exercitationem et sapiente.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”