12/30/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Ask a bro: Thebrofessor's AMA, 2016 edition
Post By @thebrofessor"

I am a partner in a PWM practice at one of the bigger firms (MS/ML/UBS) managing $500mm in South East US. I worked at a local bank for a few months out of college and hated it. Subsequently, I moved to a PWM practice and stayed in a non-FA role for a couple of years before becoming an advisor. Feel free to ask me anything besides questions which can reveal my identity and personal finances.

Go Big or Go Home - 2017 Challenge
Post By @secretpanda"

2017 is rapidly approaching and it is almost that time of year again to set goals and smash them! What goals are you setting?

Ask an experienced senior analyst anything
Post By @Frank Rizzo"

My undergraduate degree is related to the industry I currently cover. After college, I worked in that industry for several years before moving to a S&T role on Wall Street. Subsequently, I went to a top-30 business school to do my MBA. Fast forward many years later, I am a MD at a well-known non-BB firm. Ask me anything.

Isn't it better to ask for internship directly?
Post By @baloneymaloney"

Instead of getting on the phone to learn more about what you do and asking for an internship at the end of the call, isn't it better to just ask if your firm is offering internships in the first email? Wouldn't the MD appreciate you for not wasting their time?

How I Taught Some Kid a Lesson
Post By @Fear The Bulge"

Nowadays though, it seems like every parent (especially in Manhattan) thinks their kid deserves education at an Ivy League school. And unsurprisingly, these kids have no consideration for the public.

Navigating Recruiting at Target Schools
Post By @funderwood10"

The timeline for 2016/2017 recruiting has been pushed forward to an absurd degree with campus networking events starting in March for me. This made Spring term seem ridiculous, as most people juggled attending classes with networking and searching for a summer internship during sophomore year.

If you could be proficient in one other language besides English, what would it be?
Post By @Gratisfaction"

Would you pick up a foreign language because the language can help you get employed in roles or markets that you are interested in?

What is your go-to office snack?
Post By @FinDroid"

With unpredictable work schedules to handle and tight deadlines to meet, I prefer to snack every three to four hours. My favorite snacks are nuts and protein bars. What do you eat when you are bored or hungry at work?

Three Controversial Books on the Mind - Earth Shattering Discovery or Snakeoil?
Post By @Ebolamonkey"

I am not bullish on re-branded buzzwords. These books are good at explaining basic concepts to first time readers, but the idea that we have missed the train for tens of millennia is hard to swallow. It is like the new twig calling the branch and the tree trunk fragile. Do you believe these ideas are new?

Morals and Investing
Post By @PatStar120"

Do you shy away from a sector or company due to your moral reasoning? Otherwise, do you view the market as simply just a means to an end?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”