2016 FT Recruitment: London

hi WSO,

long-time lurker, first-time poster.
Although it's too early to talk about 2016 FT recruitment, I have a question for everyone working in London.

After graduation, I started a long-term internship (13 months) for a French investment bank (BNP, SG, CAIB), in London , IBD, with clear indication there would be no full-time offer.

As my internship ends in December, I am thinking to apply to grad schemes. Is this something acceptable? I will have about 1.5yrs of work-experience post-graduation by the 2016 start date, but it will all be internship positions.

Alternatively, should I try to pursue lateral positions?

errrr...try both? Lateral postions available? If no, apply for grad. and for the love of god, network.

"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

Networking is definitely advised. A long term internship might not be considered enough for a lateral role although this is dependent on how hr views your application.

Our class had someone in markets who was in the exact position as you after having done more than a year at a french bank. HR put her on the analyst summer internship after grad places had filled up.

AgentSmith:

exact position as you after having done more than a year at a french bank

Thanks!

French banks are known for their track-record of employing interns for long periods, up to 2 years in internship/trainee positions. Although, I'm doing coverage, I'm only involved in multiples valuation, so no real DCF/LBO/M&A modelling experience. Also, I have little deal execution experience, mostly pitching. So, lateraling is fairly difficult and that's why I want to start a regular grad program.

This is where the asymmetries with hr and people in the business might arise. HR could see it as you having been out of education for 1.5y and could reject you where as someone in the business would prefer taking on an analyst as an intern or grad with your experience. Key takeaway is network to make sure someone has a reason to progress you past the screening.

tork:

any suggestions on who should I realistically target for networking? Analysts, associates?

Seriously dude, think for yourself.
"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

Voluptatem autem perferendis minima et voluptate facere sed blanditiis. Accusamus quas sint nemo libero eos. Id commodi et eligendi quia optio ipsum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”