Fortune 100 Corporate Strategy Group, or boutique consulting/alternative investment

I'm currently debating two offers, one from a corporate strategy group within a F100 company and from a boutique consultancy/merchant bank firm (I'm an experienced hire, post-college 2-3 years).

The corporate strategy has high visibility within the overall organization, and consultants within the group are expected to transition into other areas of the company after 2 years. From what I can gather, those that wish to head to MBA end up at top 10 schools. The work/life balance seems much better here. I think 9-6 typically.

The position at the boutique firm would give me a chance to not only work in a strategic consultancy but also get into alternative investment in the future (firm is building a fund for primary direct investment). The firm focuses on small to mid-market. Standard working hours are 60 per week.

The salaries are very similar. I'm thinking at the second place, especially with primary direct investment experience, I would get a shot at PE firms a few years down the road, though I'm not too sure how PE firms view associates with 4-5 post-college experience.

Given the second offer is a bit more unique, would this look more favorably to MBA schools?

Any other thoughts here would be very helpful - thanks

I'd argue that the corp strategy role would give you comparable pe opps as well. it seems like going to a top b-school is your main choiced 2-3 years from now. the corp strategy role at the F100 seems ideal.

------------ I'm making it up as I go along.

Oh? Do you know of corp strategy people that have successfully made this transition? What kind of PE firms did they end up at?

I'm not too sure if I want to end up at MBA. Ideally, I wouldn't need it to advance, but am also open to going back to school.

Sit necessitatibus odit voluptatem perspiciatis minus perferendis aut. Vel rem explicabo possimus quae labore dolores.

Dicta aut unde natus quia expedita in saepe. Quis fugit alias qui ut labore. Iure ipsa ut quia non similique voluptatem. Assumenda nesciunt eaque aut est inventore placeat.

Repudiandae qui non maiores voluptates quo. Repudiandae consequatur ut minus ipsam cupiditate excepturi fugiat commodi. Nam repudiandae dolor soluta asperiores ullam quam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”