Vanderbilt MSF Class of 2017

Hey guys, just thought of starting a forum for all accepted students for the Vandy MSF class (2016 intake)
Feel free to share thoughts. Anyone who visited the campus, etc.

What's up, just got accepted from Round 2. Loved the campus visit last weekend, it was my first time in Nashville and the city looks fantastic. I'm still deciding between UVA's Global Commerce and Vandy's MSF. I want to do strategic consulting coming out.

Best Response

I've been out of the market for a little bit, but...

Aertson Midtown is the brand new $100 million behemoth right across the street. http://aertsonmidtown.com/ Not sure what they're going to be charging or when it will be open for occupancy, but this will be the best spot in the neighborhood. I think it's targeted to open this Spring.

Artisan Midtown is like a year or two old and like a block or two away. http://www.berkshirecommunities.com/apartments/tn/nashville/artisan-on-…

Twenty & Grand is right behind Aertson. http://twentyandgrand.com Older but recently renovated. Lot of complaints about noise in the reviews but that's over now that Aertson is almost done.

Village at Vanderbilt is older but also just right across the street. http://www.vandyapartments.com

I'm sure there are others too that I'm not even aware of. The Nashville apartment market is absurd right now. If you don't want to live right next to campus too, even more things open up. The Gulch is a cool area where a lot of higher income young professionals live and traveling further down 21st/West End out of town will lead you toward the Green Hills/Belle Meade area which are very high end and could serve as an escape if you're not looking to stay "in the action." If you're adventurous, you might find some good deals on Charlotte, which is nearby and somewhere that will be...less rough...sooner than later.

I have no real connection to the Vandy MSF program, but I know one of the admissions guys and know students who have attended and both impressed me. Plus, while Vanderbilt has a decent rep nationally, it has a superb rep in the South.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Did you receive the hard copy of your admission letter yet? Even the one posted on the applicant website works. The amount of scholarship should be stated right on the top of the first page. However, I guess there is still a chance to get scholarships from turned down admission offers ...

After some brief research I did a month ago it seems like most basic apartments are between $1000-$1500. I am hoping to live somewhere close to Owen so that I can walk to music row and midtown.

Regarding scholarships, I found out about mine on the day I was accepted. (This was first round though)

I had the same experience as Phoenix Fire with scholarships and I was Round 2.

As far as housing, is anyone considering living with someone else? I would be interested in splitting a place with a few kids. (Individual bedrooms but shared living room/kitchen) if that would make it a little cheaper.

Who all is planning to attend the opening weekend next month?

Haven't decided about my housing situation yet, but will PM you if I m looking to share.

I won't be able to make it to the open weekend. Whoever gets a chance to go, please let us know how it goes.

I would consider sharing an apartment but I will not be at open weekend either unfortunately. Probably moving to Nashville at beginning of July.

As a side note, there is a massive problem with the program. Why does it start in late July? I have received several interview requests regarding summer internships to then later be disqualified because of this start date. No reputable company is going to hire interns for just a month and half. Seriously disappointed in this aspect of the program, it makes getting a good internship prior to the program start almost impossible.

phoenixfire:

I would consider sharing an apartment but I will not be at open weekend either unfortunately.
Probably moving to Nashville at beginning of July.

As a side note, there is a massive problem with the program. Why does it start in late July?
I have received several interview requests regarding summer internships to then later be disqualified because of this start date. No reputable company is going to hire interns for just a month and half. Seriously disappointed in this aspect of the program, it makes getting a good internship prior to the program start almost impossible.

Why can't you intern and go to school?

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

The program starts at the end of July because IB recruiting begins in August (if not July). The MSF career coach at Vanderbilt starts working with students as soon as they accept their offer of admission. They get students to campus early to begin career prep. A few current students were able to wrap up an internship a week early to arrive in July.

I would talk to the program coordinators first and see if you can adjust the start date. One of the guys in this year's class came 2-3 weeks after the start of the program in order to finish his internship. I believe it starts that early to get ahead of the recruiting cycle for IB since if you came any later the process would already be underway and students would not be prepped by the career center.

If anyone is interested in a place starting June 15 mins walking distance from campus in a good neighborhood, PM. Lease expires in August and you can either move elsewhere or stay on.

Got accepted! Currently deciding between Vandy MSF and the Vandy Macc Val program. Unsure of what career path I want to take, so what I decide in the next week or so will determine what program I pick.

Congratulations to all who got accepted. I am applying in last round. Do you guys think I have a shot?

US Citizen, Graduated from a small private school (US news ranked 35th-50th) in May '15 with 3.20 CGPA (3.6 Finance, 3.8 Econ) and relevant internships - insurance sales intern(freshman year), wealth management @ a small family office, research intern @ a no-name economic consulting firm, finally real estate acquisitions intern and now FT here working on multi family real estate acquisitions ($8B+ AUM)..

solid work ethic (received return offer and references from each internship listed) but poor CGPA. Very involved in campus activities.. President of Finance Assoc., volunteered numerous hours and etc...GMAT practice score in 620-650 range (Trying to bring it up to 650-680)

Post grad goal is BB/MM IB. What do you guys think about my chances at Vandy?? Thanks in advance

Esuric 0.5%.. lol! Why?

BobtheBanker I am trying to get out of real estate and I see MSF as one of the easiest way to rebrand myself. MSF from Vandy will give me a better brand, a chance to re-brand, access to better opportunities and a shot for a higher GPA. What do you think?

@MrChicago MSF is going to get second pickings to every single top 15 MBA grad. The MBA curriculum is broader, which gives you a broader scope upon graduation, which is more appealing to multiple employers. If you go MSF - IB Analyst, you could potentially be at a crossroads in the future where an MBA is needed to move on. I know making a move now is tempting, but a few years will give you a better profile for a solid MBA admit.

Praesentium qui est iure. Accusantium animi dolorum aliquid accusamus eveniet quisquam. Perferendis commodi corporis voluptas voluptas. Fugit aut animi rerum vero voluptas. Illum et ea est repellendus eveniet.

Amet eos magni accusamus necessitatibus eius enim. Illo excepturi voluptate non debitis voluptate libero praesentium. Nihil sint vero esse. Occaecati et consequatur et aut libero commodi inventore.

Esse quidem nisi modi velit ut ut facilis. Optio voluptatum molestiae tempora. Impedit omnis assumenda adipisci sed fugit voluptatum. Eum voluptate aliquid est. Et quis qui sint.

Dicta saepe similique aut tempora pariatur. Nemo nisi qui et. Excepturi asperiores tempora ipsum quia.

Et nobis consequuntur quod quasi libero itaque pariatur natus. Reiciendis et consequatur adipisci fugiat ex at sit. Quia culpa aspernatur aperiam consectetur aliquid ad et. Est beatae voluptas inventore et. Assumenda sed ipsam esse qui reprehenderit cupiditate. At est id a autem sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”