I'm unsure if my question meets the standards of a typical WSO question, but I figure it's worth a try! I'm currently in the data-gathering process for a research paper concerning the effect of corporate culture on the success rate of modern-day mergers and acquisitions; I am co-authoring the research paper with my professor, and would highly appreciate a little guidance in the right direction.
We are looking at the Dow Jones 30 for our initial data set (just to get our feet wet). My job this past weekend has been to utilize the EDGAR SEC database and search for DEFM14C filings for these 30 companies; I figured that by doing this, I would easily find out the companies in the DJ 30 with any M&A activity in the past 13 years.
Unfortunately, I have only been able to find DEFM 14A filings, and while some of them are fairly obvious (Exxon Mobil's 1999 merger, for instance), I cannot rely on DEFM 14A forms alone to serve as an indicator of a successful merger/ acquisition. I will later be dealing with much larger data sets, so I need a full-proof and streamlined method of collecting data.
Is there any online database, feed site, or readily available collection of press releases on mergers and acquisitions that I could utilize? I have some working knowledge of Ruby's Anemone and Nokogiri gems, but I was hoping that I would not have to resort to web crawling to find the information I'm looking for.
Again, sorry if this is not the forum to post such a question, but I would highly appreciate any and all advice/ information. Thank you!!
Don't Miss This Awesome Related WSO Content
- Strange multiple and debt in acquisitions?
- Can someone recommend a good website where I can receive regular information, more strictly on mergers and acquistions
- Valuation: Mergers, Buyouts and Restructuring by Arzac vs Applied Mergers & Acquisitions by Bruner
- DCF- Include Debt Financed acquisitions?
- Is there any good Book on Past Mergers and Acquisition- Successful and Unsuccessful real deals
- Buy This Book: Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers and Acquisitions
- Where do I find small acquisition targets?
- CROSS BORDER DEALS- MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS