Will We Ever See Another Sports Year Like 2016-2017?

What a year! First off, we had the Cavaliers overcome a 3-1 deficit in the finals to a 73 win team. Such a remarkable feat that is almost unbelievable. Next, we had the Cubs overcome a 3-1 deficit to the Indians. A great series to watch, even for non-baseball fans. After that, we had Clemsons comeback win over Nick Saban and his perennial powerhouse, the Alabama Crimson Tide. And lastly, we had the Patriots overcome a 25 point deficit, in the third quarter, to beat the Falcons! A feat that arguably casts Brady as the greatest of all time. Honestly, I would like to know the statistical odds of all these amazing feats occurring. It would surely have to be less than 1%.

Oh and we also had the Olympics this year. Another great sporting event that draws a lot of attention.

Overall, we were blessed with a tremendous year, and who knows if we'll ever see anything like it again? I think it was a once in a lifetime type of year. What do you guys think? Will we ever see another year like this? Thoughts? Opinions?

These trends are symptomatic / emblematic of the millennial generation -- mentally fragile and unable to close the deal. You could almost feel how "tight" the Falcons got when Brady began mounting the comeback early in the 4th: you knew the choke was coming. Our generation is a "run-out-the-clock" generation, not a "stick-a-dagger-in-their-heart" generation. The Michael Jordan's and (early) Tiger Woods' of year-year are an archetypal relic that probably won't be returning any time soon.

Some thoughts from someone in his 3rd decade.

Interesting perspective. As a millennial, I think you may be right about "millennial culture." It never ceases to amaze me how soft some people are and how easily they are offended. However, I think "running out the clock" almost would've served the Falcons better. Their aggressiveness probably hurt them in the end. But yeah, there is nothing like watching a 2000 Tiger Woords, or a Michael Jordan in the finals.

It's not a culture thing, it's weakness. Most in this generation just want to fit in because they haven't had to struggle. They prioritize being one of "the guys" or being a face in the crowd over being a cold blooded killer, being an individual with uncompromising values, or being someone with a singular goal and no time to play nice. This is because they've never been put in the disadvantaged position to have to step on people to get where they're going. It comes down to this generations priorities - people prefer to get along and play nice over having the drive to do whatever it takes to get what you want. This applies to all aspects of life, not just sports.

iggs99988:

These trends are symptomatic / emblematic of the millennial generation -- mentally fragile and unable to close the deal. You could almost feel how "tight" the Falcons got when Brady began mounting the comeback early in the 4th: you knew the choke was coming. Our generation is a "run-out-the-clock" generation, not a "stick-a-dagger-in-their-heart" generation. The Michael Jordan's and (early) Tiger Woods' of year-year are an archetypal relic that probably won't be returning any time soon.

Some thoughts from someone in his 3rd decade.

the Falcon's offensive coordinator (not a millennial) choked more than anybody. have the ball on the 20 yd line with under 4 minutes left and can't get a field goal. run, run, run/quick pass on 3rd, kick fg to go up by 10. falcon's play calling was bad in the 3rd/4th quarter. they didn't adapt their play calling with the lead when the game changed, stuck to trying to pass way too much, the coaches could have done much better

twitter: @StoicTrader1 instagram: @StoicTrader1

Best Response

You forgot Leicester City winning the Premier League when they were 5000-1 odds. Probably one of if not the greatest underdog story ever. Also, it was done over 38 games which is really impressive.

That is the best ever sporting achievement. They just about escaped relegation the year before they won it and this year they could be relegated. I was their in person for their most pivotal game back in February last year.

Gonna through one in for professional golf:

Jordan Spieth had the Master's in his hands on the tee of the most iconic hole in golf, and then made quadruple bogey to render him defeated.

Dustin Johnson, after shaking heartbreak in so many major championships, wins the US Open on A) one of the (if not the only) hardest courses ever played, and B) was told in the middle of his round that he may or may not be penalized a stroke for an issue he was absolved of initially

Henrik Stenson and Phil Mickelson have one of the greatest matches in recent history on Sunday at The Open Championship. Phil comes in 2nd eventually after shooting a -6 65 in the final round....he would have won virtually any other open championship year, except this one

US wins a Ryder Cup on home soil, driven by one of the best matches I've watched between Patrick Reed and Rory Mcilroy. Their front nine of golf was the best match-play at the professional level I've seen.

I know golf gets a bad wrap, and people liken the fall of Tiger synonymous to the fall of golf, but I refuse to believe that. The sport is young and the talent pool is deeper than in 2000. I'd truly like to see a 2000 Tiger play today, it'd be great theatre.

Libero rerum recusandae sunt enim dolor nostrum numquam. Doloremque corporis architecto asperiores officiis ipsa iusto ea. Voluptatibus doloremque in placeat et sunt veritatis. Aliquid suscipit adipisci voluptatibus necessitatibus.

Incidunt non alias nemo facere autem iure. Totam voluptatem est aut quidem laborum in. Ratione consequatur cupiditate fugit in velit. Facere omnis autem repellendus aliquam quo.

Pariatur perspiciatis animi laudantium magni eum. Repudiandae voluptatibus quo enim animi dolor ipsam eligendi. Id reprehenderit quasi totam impedit commodi cum. Est est qui architecto autem enim.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”