never say never but i think this is going to be challenging given the time frame assuming you have a FT job on top of studying. it took me ~200 hours to go from a 620 cold to a 740 with 10 weeks or so of studying.

Assuming quant is the area you need to focus on (and hopefully it is b/c i think its way harder to boost a verbal score), I can't recommend the course at Gmat Quantum enough (http://www.gmatquantum.com/sign-up/). It's all prerecorded and online and is great. That combined with the MGMAT books, OG books for practice questions, and all the GMAC practice tests you can take is all you need. Best of luck.

This. I went to a free MGMAT class and the first thing the teacher said was something like - I'm sure everyone in here wants a 700+, but the reality is only 10% of people achieve it so of the 30 of you in the room, only 3 or so will break 700. After that, I knew the class wouldn't be worth the time/investment.

I highly recommend the Powerscore Bible for Critical Reasoning. The way it's structured, you don't need to be a native speaker to identify the patterns; it's simple "if you see x, then you can infer y" type stuff. If you like solving puzzles and math then this plays to your strengths, and it's an easy read.

GMAT Club is a really good forum that posts tons of problems on the daily, and will likely be the place you end up if you ever google GMAT questions that are giving you trouble. Nothing beats hard work and getting a 700+ score will take time and energy; best of luck in your studies. I recommend Manhattan prep guides and there's also some good free apps you can download: The Veritas Prep app has tons of difficult questions and I highly recommend it.

I second this. GMAT club website has tons of good practice problems, and members there share tricks to solve problems quickly. Most of all, they share their backgrounds and application status, which can be very valuable in the process.

For quant, try to learn all the tricks - number properties especially. Manhattan GMAT makes some good books. For verbal, it is more of ah-ha moments.

Use the big, thick official book for questions.

I started with a 520 and ended up getting a 730 (48q, 42v). If I can do it, so can you. Biggest piece of advice I can give is that you need to force yourself to only focus on weaknesses. Initially I tricked myself and solved things I was comfortable with which was pretty useless but made me feel falsely confident.

Don't waste your life only thinking about money and prestige

I started with a 570 on my first try, ended up with 740, so massive improvement is definitely possible. You likely weren't used to the format and haven't taken a test in ages, it's very common to completely bomb your first attempt.

Verbal is definitely harder to improve over a short time period than quant, however I found that Verbal also lends itself to process of elimination much more easily than quant. As an example, when I was reading the answer options for sentence correction, I could almost always cut out 2-3 options based on clear errors, then my approach for the remaining was to pick the choice that (1) still expressed the intent of the original sentence and (2) was most succinct.

Some things you can do immediately:

1. Sign up for GMAT Club's "Problem of the Day" emails and work through the problems each morning, reading the discussion on the site;
  2. Procure as many free "practice tests" from the many sources online (GMAT club has some great package deals on purchasing a study tool bundles them with complementary practice tests);
  3. Train for test endurance! The Verbal portion is the last section of the test, so having your weakest section at the end of the test will be especially difficult. In my prep I took a full-length test each weekend;
  4. Don't bother with a formal class, they are way too expensive and you'll be forced to review things not relevant to your needs;
  5. Research and practice "Solution Behavior," AKA educated guessing. This is especially useful on Verbal, here is a link to a relevant post: http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/guessing-strategies-for-the-gmat/
  6. READ BOOKS! Just reading will give you an eye for correct sentence structure and argument analysis. I found "Dataclysm" by Christian Rudder to be an awesome read, as it was interesting is oriented around drawing conclusions from data. While reading the book, you are frequently looking at charts and connecting arguments to supporting evidence, which is a large portion of GMAT Verbal.

When I took the test the final time, I had about 40 days to prepare between sittings, and put in about 120 hours of review. GMAT prep takes time and there are very few shortcuts, but by doing the above you can put systems in place that will push you towards success on test day.

Nothing short of everything will really do.

I studied for about a month with the Manhattan books and took a manhattan practice test and got a 580. Fast forward to like 4 months later and I ended with a 760. 100% agree that you really need to be uncomfortable throughout the process to ensure you learn. high level takeaways.

1.) Take the Manhattan class 2.) During the class if you're aiming 700+ you need to be doing double the homework IMO 3.) Thursdays with Ron are amazing for SC and number theory 4.) DON'T look at the really hard questions on GMAT club. I couldn't solve any and ended up Q49/V46 5.) Once you build a really solid foundation you should move to only official questions 6.) I built a 200 question slide deck that had every question i had ever missed, helped a lot. 7.) Make sure you do something GMAT related every single day. No breaks. 8.) Keep your skills sharp by drilling through FOM (Manhattan book) and other worksheets. Any straight algebra/root/power questions should be automatic. 9.) Ready an hour a day to sharpen your RC. I went from 50th percentile to getting every RC right. 10.) Getting perfect at SC allows you to really focus on RC and CR by allowing yourself more time. 11.) Essay and IR are super easy, don't study.

IMO, it is best to skip the class and self-study using the MGMAT books and GMATClub. For practice tests, use the official GMATPrep software -- it comes with two free tests and there are an additional four tests available to purchase. You can also use the MGMAT CATs but they are MUCH harder than the real thing.

On Verbal the best advice is to simply read more. Read the Economist or something every morning. For SC problems, the two most common things tested are logical modifiers and subject verb agreement. Always be on the lookout for those concepts. One useful tactic is to compare the choices and notice the differences in each. Often, if you can recognize only one error, you can immediately eliminate 2-3 choices. Another tip is to eliminate the "fluff" in the sentence. The GMAT likes to over-complicate the sentence with useless adjectives, adverbs, and prepositional phrases. Questions often become a lot clearer if you can think of them in a basic structure.

2 months are a short time. You will need to live and breathe the material, but it can be done.

1. MGMAT (Manhattan GMAT) books should be your bible. I'm not joking -- buy the books asap.
  2. Flash cards. Make flash cards for ratio conversions, %s, prime #s, formulas, quick concepts. I even used them for verbal (got a 44V and 49Q for a 750). DO NOT leave these to the last minute. Make them early and add as you go. You need to remember concepts and conversions very quickly on the exam.

Don't track the hours you spend studying; track the amount of material you learn. Assess this amount through MGMAT practice questions, both in the books and online.

You'll have no life for 2 months but your score should improve dramatically.

Consequatur suscipit et et debitis praesentium voluptates. Quibusdam et ipsa sit quia molestias distinctio voluptate. Natus voluptatem aut odio velit nam sed qui est. Reprehenderit deserunt assumenda doloremque quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”