Is my GMAT (730) high enough to land a job in PE and IB as an analyst?

Hey,

could some people tell me if my gmat score: 730, is high enough to land a job as an analyst in Goldman Sachs?
I have a 3,8 GPA (First Class Honours) in the BSc Economics from LSE.

I had summer internships in both Bain and BCG and the IMF.

Thanks for all answers in advance.

bengigi:
No, GS require you to retake the gmat in their offices and you need to get a 780+.

If you didn't realize, that isn't true.

"Now that I think about it...I never actually know when you guys are here in the office. Kind of like furniture...I just assume."

Too high?! it's too low, they increased the GMAT requirement for the next incoming class. It's weird how they removed all other criteria of their interview process and focused solely on the GMAT score, its almost like they decided they only want to hire quants with no creative insights or ability to review anything but a single number with a binomial interpretation.

Best Response

I think everyone here is being sarcastic. They are probably all exaggerating a bit.

To be honest, the cut off is probably closer to a 760. However, I have heard of a rare case of a Native American Olympian rower from HBS get into GS's Zimbabwe microfinance desk with a 740.

But that's just one data point, so take it with a grain of salt.

Rich Capitalist:
Do they require such high GMAT in all "areas" or just in the quantitative areas like trading etc.? I mean for what would you need a GMAT higher than 730 in M&A? When I did the Internships in Mckinsey 80% of people had 720-750 gmats?

you said BCG and Bain

you wouldn't have made the cut for the McK based on your GMAT perhaps in southern/eastern Europe

Dimethyltryptamine:
Rich Capitalist:
Do they require such high GMAT in all "areas" or just in the quantitative areas like trading etc.? I mean for what would you need a GMAT higher than 730 in M&A? When I did the Internships in Mckinsey 80% of people had 720-750 gmats?

you said BCG and Bain

you wouldn't have made the cut for the McK based on your GMAT perhaps in southern/eastern Europe

Mckinsey was just an internship I did before going uni in my gap year, which I got through contacts, but I asked around and as I said 90% had GMAT from 720-750. One senior bain partner in Switzerland has a 700 gmat by the way. Besides, from what I was told by a recruiter from Mckinsey in Boston, is that once you reach a certain intelligence which can be deduced by you GMAT score and gpa, interpersonal skills are far more important for job performance. He said that in their eyes a 720 is capable of doing the same as a 750 as consulting isnt I quote "rocket science".

You guys are fucking retarded. The 780 GMAT requirement is only for the HONG KONG offices. The head office in NYC is 760, there is no 780 GMAT requirement that would be insane. They're a little more lenient in NYC than in HK due to the overseas exposure.

Two of my buddies both scored above 760 and that was barely enough to land them first rounds at GS HK. Luckily they went to HBS and Wharton, so the prestige factor helped a lot.

m2:
Also heard that GS ask for 800 now in IBD. For S&T the cut-off is 430 I heard (from an IBD guy though, so not sure how reliable). For GS SSG you need 920.

SSG is 800 only S&T is incredibly low, but i am sure that they dont even list their GMATs, trading really isnt a rocket science... please dont make this into troll thread

thread has been going well so far, i love when i get opinion from GMAT and GS experts. one of the few good things left on WSO

Yeah thanks for making this thread, Rich Capitalist, there are some really helpful replies (other than the obvious troll post by m2).

I was under the impression before that my 740 would be enough, but Goldman Sachs is a different beast entirely. I think it's probably worth taking a month off from work an bumping that up to a 770 to have a decent chance at a lateral.

Rich Capitalist:
How about the London and Frankfurt office? I mean 90% of people there dont even take the GMAT?

i just dont understand where you are pulling those numbers and percentages from

90% of the students in Germany search for their jobs only after they are done with Master studies therefore, they all have to take the GMAT as it is requirement for the Master

not sure about London, but wouldn't apply with a sub 760 score

Battleship:
Rich Capitalist:
How about the London and Frankfurt office? I mean 90% of people there dont even take the GMAT?

i just dont understand where you are pulling those numbers and percentages from

90% of the students in Germany search for their jobs only after they are done with Master studies therefore, they all have to take the GMAT as it is requirement for the Master

not sure about London, but wouldn't apply with a sub 760 score

Lol, I m from germany, and noone does the GMAT for their masters their. No university in germany requires the gmat for a master

Just from talking with people I think anything above a 700 makes you competitive for top jobs once you're at a decent MBA program (which it doesn't sound like you are, in which case it's not obvious to me why you are volunteering your GMAT score at all and stressing about it generally?).

The reality is that 40-50% of students at top MBA programs get good jobs at prestigious finance/consulting companies. With a mean GMAT of 715 at the top 10 or so schools, it's just not possible for everyone who gets these jobs to have a 760+ GMAT. Also, sometimes I think MBAs let in super nerdy kids with no social skills but high GMATs just to increase the average.

On what planet do you live? Everyone is making fun of you and even with a 3.9, you dont even get it. Bcg and Bain seriously, how did you get them? Are you trolling? GS and all BBz dont give a single f to your Gmat. This is not a business school or a master application.

They just want a high gpa, good work experience and you should get it.

nori90:
On what planet do you live? Everyone is making fun of you and even with a 3.9, you dont even get it. Bcg and Bain seriously, how did you get them? Are you trolling? GS and all BBz dont give a single f to your Gmat. This is not a business school or a master application.

Listen I m in my last year of uni and have just taken the GMAT (of course I m not as well informed as you guys that spend your entire free time in these forums). And as I was interested in how things work in the US, I just wanted to ask a simple question (which you guys obviously cant answer, without "making fun").

I was asking that question because as I said before I talked to a Mckinsey recruiter who said that they ASK for GMAT scores of 720+ so its not too stupid to assume that GS might ask for GMAT scores as well.

So simple question, does GS fucking ask for GMAT scores or not and in case they do what scores do they want?

nori90:

I can't tell if he's autistic or just foreign.

Rich Capitalist:
I was asking that question because as I said before I talked to a Mckinsey recruiter who said that they ASK for GMAT scores of 720+ so its not too stupid to assume that GS might ask for GMAT scores as well.

So simple question, does GS fucking ask for GMAT scores or not and in case they do what scores do they want?

They do -- when they're recruiting you from an MBA program.

holla_back:
nori90:

I can't tell if he's autistic or just foreign.

Rich Capitalist:

They do -- when they're recruiting you from an MBA program.

Great but my question (if you read what I wrote) and the entire point of this thread was to find out WHAT score they ask for you spastic, so much for being autistic when you cant even fully answer a question.

Troll posts are getting a bit old after 20 replies to be honest.

MBB emphasizes more on GMAT scores than IBD, but both industries do not make a GMAT score a requirement for landing an interview. It's true that any score above 750 will increase your chances of landing an interview in MC, but if you have great work experience and GPA from LSE, you'll be more than fine.

If you have a high GMAT score, list it on your resume. 730 is good enough here to be honest. GS will not be impressed by it, but you obviously won't get dinged because of a 730 score.

Don't waste your time getting to 770 when you have a stellar GPA and equal college pedigree. Spend your time networking, preparing for interviews or learning how to detect sarcasm for that matter.

Sadly, this fantasy world, where GMAT/SAT/standardized test scores actually matter beyond admissions, would benefit me a lot more.

Anyway, I just want to underscore what overpaid_overworked posted (for those future gullible finance grads):

overpaid_overworked:
The thing with this site is that there are so many gullible finance grads is that one of them will make a life altering decision based on the content of this thread.

overpaid_overworked:
The thing with this site is that there are so many gullible finance grads is that one of them will make a life altering decision based on the content of this thread.
This.

SirTradesaLot:
overpaid_overworked:
This.

I wonder what was the GMAT scores of David Rubenstein and Thomas Barrack. Surely to achieve such industry titan status they must have scored 1000/800 or something.

Or wait! They didn't take the GMAT and neither of them even has a MBA. How is this even possible??? Does not compute...error.error.error...

Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep.

Neque dolores sunt aut vitae. Reiciendis non qui ut aspernatur adipisci aliquam. Consequatur consequuntur dignissimos magni. Facilis ut reprehenderit voluptate velit officia explicabo et. Officia adipisci veniam reiciendis ut mollitia cum.

Neque repudiandae quibusdam debitis. Aliquam voluptatem blanditiis nostrum fugiat omnis enim illum. Nisi quia sed ipsum ut error sapiente laudantium. Sapiente corrupti quia doloremque odio qui. Libero alias non assumenda esse.

Ex praesentium magnam quia ipsa odit ut recusandae et. Cumque deserunt atque aliquam quis ea quasi. Sed dolore quidem numquam et. Reprehenderit temporibus tempora et modi consequatur consequatur. Corporis voluptatum delectus inventore inventore dolores. Commodi enim vitae asperiores cupiditate vitae quasi.

Ex nesciunt in dolor. Eius est et suscipit porro occaecati ab consequuntur. Quia ipsum deserunt ratione a ducimus sit itaque. Qui laudantium vitae natus quia aut. Est quia vero rerum animi in.

Perferendis vel provident non. Perspiciatis autem est iste quisquam quisquam fugiat et. Placeat dolore ullam magnam non qui. Consequatur excepturi quasi atque fugiat pariatur minima. Repellat quam ea ut alias. Et iusto numquam facere voluptatem. Et perferendis ut consequuntur inventore ipsum.

Doloribus minima distinctio delectus laborum enim qui. Debitis sunt earum dicta corrupti optio.

Saepe laboriosam beatae rerum maxime aut nulla aut exercitationem. Quas aspernatur rerum sed. Tempore nihil et quas. Quia ut nam deserunt et voluptates rem. Quo fuga praesentium ratione.

Sed adipisci optio illo. Repudiandae ut quisquam ipsa quam. In dolores reiciendis autem dolor natus. Suscipit ullam voluptas et qui dolorem et.

Non fugiat voluptas cumque sit. Architecto omnis quibusdam enim corporis sit. Quam harum nam qui commodi. Maiores suscipit voluptatibus quis voluptate necessitatibus facere.

Qui quia repudiandae id perferendis commodi explicabo. Veniam dolorem repellendus et harum. Ea dolores blanditiis ratione porro ut reprehenderit sapiente. Placeat voluptates consequatur et libero quasi veritatis illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”