Where do you stand on massive mergers?

News is surfacing of a potential combination to be made between Verizon and Charter Communications. Also of note, Verizon is expected to merge with Yahoo in a $4.8 bn deal. With stuff like this and the AT&T deal going down, I've been thinking about how these deals affect the economy, capitalism, and competition.

My initial thought is that Trump should block mergers like these as they hinder competition greatly, but where is the line then drawn on deals like these? It appears to be a much more complicated affair (far beyond my understanding at least), so I'm curious to see what you chaps have to say on the matter.

Your thoughts?

It depends on the industry, competition remaining, need vs. want service, whether vertical horizontal or bolt on... clearly Verizon Yahoo is different than AT&T- TW. Also a factor is that Yahoo has effectively been in play for years. Verizon reminds me more of AOL-TW. I think it will be a better fit however. The whole media/ communications spectrum is in such a state of flux that who know what will work. Then there are platforms like twitter that have become such an effective means of transmitting information (SEC regulated "public dissemination of corporate issues" etc comes to mind) that I sometimes think it should be government subsidized. but that is a side issue. Funny AT&T used to be home telephones now they are more mobile focused whereas Verizon was mobile and and is now does Fios... I suppose that the two deals will make them more comparable as the behemoth communications giants. who else fits in that category? isn't less than three sort of the go-by rule? Maybe Cox, or comcast needs a deal with sprint or virgin to expand competition....

Good question! I have more questions now than I did before I started....

Best Response

The Anheuser / InBev deal is considered to be a 2015 deal, as the offer was first announced in October 2015 (the article you cited is "only" the shareholder approval in 2016) - M&A volume usually refers to announced (signed) deals, not closed ones.

Top 10 largest deals in 2016 were the following:

1) AT&T acquisition of Time Warner (announced October 22, US$105bn) 2) Bayer acquisition of Monsanto (September 14, $63.4bn) 3) Sunoco Logistics acquisition of Energy Transfer Partners (November 21, $51.4bn) 4) Qualcomm acquisition of NXP (October 27, $45.9bn) 5) China National Chemical Corp acquisition of Syngenta (Feb 3, $45.9bn) 6) Enbridge acquisition of Spectra (September 6, $41.4bn) 7) Shire acquisition of Baxalta (January 11, $35.2bn) 8) CenturyLink acquisition of Level 3 (October 31, $34.5bn) 9) GE acquisition of Baker Hughes (October 31, $31.7bn) 10) SoftBank acquisition of ARM (July 18, $30.2bn)

Some of these were technically mergers and not acquisitions - in those cases the buyer / seller categorisation only refers to which company made the first approach.

Hope that helps

Edit: Not sure why British Tobacco / Reynolds is not considered to be a 2016 deal by Mergermarket. It should be #3 given that the offer was made in October 2016

Repellendus necessitatibus voluptas nisi molestiae. Omnis odit aut rem totam voluptas. Eos neque eum ut quia natus. Fugit voluptas quod dolorem illo omnis odit sed. Sint nihil illum aperiam tempora dignissimos sed.

Modi quae molestiae illum possimus atque. Quia nihil cupiditate nobis rerum neque consequuntur.

Winners bring a bigger bag than you do. I have a degree in meritocracy.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”