4 INTERNSHIPS NOW WHAT? Graduate in May 2010, ADVICE NEEDED

Hello everyone; I figured I should take a shot at asking for your advice.

Currently I attend an HBCU (Historically Black College University), that is known for Engineering. Unfortunately, my major is Economics. I have always strived and made a way out of nothing, and landed internships. I will graduate this May, with four Internships under my belt. I love Financial Services, and have worked for a few renown firms. Unfortunately, some of these firms almost collasped during 2008...... Long story short, I do not have the Ivy League degree or family connections like many. I am just a hard working lad that makes the most out of any small opportunity. Whenever I intern, I amaze the execs with my personality and work ethic. Right now I find myself at a crossroads. My parents suggest that i just take a job and be happy, and work my way up. I say, I did not work my ass off three summers in a row, never going home during summer recess, living in new cities alone, to take any old secretarial job. I would love to work my way up, but in an atmosphre where I really learn about Wall Street and the markets. I want to get my foot in the door of a Trading Firm, hedge fund, or something along that line. I just have no clue how to get in the door. Maybe i'm being egotistical, but I think I've done almost all that I can do while in college to secure a job once I graduate. I have participated in a very competitive internship program sponsored by the Money Management Institute for two summers in a row, along with 1 other Internship program. My question is however, what type of steps should I be taking, to land a job where I not only get a chance to prove myself, but actually learn a lot.

Why didn't you get any full time offers from all these places where you wow-ed execs with your amazingness? Though they "almost" collapsed, they didn't (according to you). And why didn't you recruit for any full time positions this fall? It's been said time and time again, but why don't you try networking with all the people you've met at your internships/Money Mgmt Institute? This should at least generate some leads...

it is generating leads, and 2/4 are small firms trying their hardest to maintain existence in the industry so there arent any entry level positions open currently. Also, i'm looking to find something in trading, or a little bit deeper than what the companies I have worked for have to offer. So i was just asking how do i use my cuurent experience to migrate into the trading sector of the business.

thanks,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you've been working hard instead of working smart. As all have mentioned, the recruiting season was a few months ago and you may have been a great candidate with your 4 internships. Best of luck with the networking -- that's probably the only shot you've got now.

Quis perferendis quis eligendi et. Ipsam expedita similique rem excepturi assumenda. Provident vel exercitationem consequatur ullam. Sed excepturi est magnam veritatis aut facere voluptatem. Id sit ipsam aspernatur sapiente error magnam sunt. Porro et cum ipsum laudantium et commodi. Quidem veritatis dolores libero labore expedita explicabo.

Commodi ipsam dignissimos delectus ipsam. Quasi vero qui modi. Minus sunt similique voluptas velit aut consequatur dolores qui. Qui nulla nihil eum est exercitationem mollitia.

Repellat quo ducimus esse fugit. Iste autem sunt dolores rerum repellendus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”