Best Response

Not in industry, looked into this a bit though. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

What do you mean by easier? As far as behavioral interviews go, they're looking for someone different (they don't need people who will crank for 80 hours+ every week). For technical interviews, they will be much simpler from what I've read.

If you're talking about finance leadership development programs, the resume they look for is almost identical, though a 3.5+ GPA isn't necessary (a good idea to have, though).

This also HUGELY depends on the company. Some companies will have target schools similar to investment banks (this is rare and usually, from what I've seen, they tend to be F100 or growing in a "sexy" sector). A lot of the companies recruit from top schools in addition to solid regional schools near their headquarters/hiring office.

For an F500 that doesn't OCR at your school, you can online submit your res, but it's probably better to try and get in touch with someone you know at the company or cold-email and network. HR can sometimes be iffy on the resume screens and there's a better chance of getting an interview if your res is passed along by an employee.

Once again, I don't have firsthand experience with this, so make sure you double check. The most important thing to keep in mind here is EVERY company is different. Networking (cold calls/cold emails) is still probably the best way to get interviews.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

IB is much more network/prestige/target school driven, IMHO. As someone who has done alot of hiring for my teams at 2 Fortune 100s, I can tell you that at least in my case, our needs tended to be more skill based; we care about the quality of your internships and direct work experience. School prestige is nice but let's face it you're going to be a peon. That being the case, we'd rather pay you less than more. Also, my experience at those 2 places led to many calls from headhunters and recruiters from other fortune 50-100 companies, and I certainly didn't attend any target schools. The premium was on my ability to hit the ground running and jump into day to day tasks.

If you've got solid internships or work experience on your resume by the time you graduate, you should at least be able to get F500 interviews either via resume drop on campus, recruitment fair on campus, or through a staffing agency.

Both of the above are mostly correct for my F500 as well.

DM is correct that we have target schools for FLDP, but you can get a job even if you're not from one of the Targets. However, we do place a pretty heavy emphasis on GPA and extra curriculars. You definitely can get hired without a 3.5, but I'd say most of our FLDPs are 3.5 or better with quality ECs.

Similar to what TheGrind says, I think we look for people ready to hit the ground running a lot more in our experienced hires or even FAs. However, we're willing to take a little more time with FLDPs because they're seen as relatively high potential employees.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

It's still competitive, I don't think anyone with under a 3.5 got interviewed for my position. (I'm at a F1000 ~4B annual revenue) We don't hire that many college hires every year (maybe 5-7) so the positions tend to be pretty tough to get. On the other hand, prestige isn't really that much of a factor. There were kids hired for the same positions from my school, which was a third-tier non-target, as the kids hired from Top 50 universities.

So, I would say if you have a good resume in a relevant degree, (accounting/finance/econ/MIS), you can get hired. But relevant internship experience is huge, i think the fact that I had solid extracurrics and a decent internship was really what won me the offer.

The last act is tragic, however happy all the rest of the play is; at the last a little earth is thrown upon our head, and that is the end for ever.

Consequatur molestiae voluptatibus et. Eum consequatur unde non ut aut. Unde quibusdam qui ut velit quasi officia.

Eos culpa aut et animi nemo dolor sed. Tenetur neque possimus illo vel recusandae sequi.

Excepturi quibusdam totam dolor cum quaerat voluptatem itaque minima. Tempora corrupti autem porro minus. Debitis nemo rerum consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”