How long to study for 63/79 while working FT?

Subject line says it all. Working full time in IB and need to schedule the exams. want to get them out of the way asap, but don't want to cut myself short on study time and fail. How long do I need for each?

If it helps, I took econ/finance courses in college, and I self-studied the gmat for two weeks and got a 770

Thanks in advance for any advice

63 study for like 2 or 3 nights, not difficult... 79 probably take a few weeks doing practice tests... the technical part is easy, it's memorizing all the rules and regulations that's a pain

Interesting our guy from Knopman Financial Training said to budget 100 hours for Series 79.

People tend to think life is a race with other people. They don't realize that every moment they spend sprinting towards the finish line is a moment they lose permanently, and a moment closer to their death.

Best Response

All the ballers on this site and at work love to brag about how few hours they studied. The truth is that these exams are a pain and studying while working is difficult. Failure is public and you will be humiliated if it happens. You need to be scoring in the mid 70s to mid 80s routinely on the practice tests. That's when you take the exam.

To study, you should focus on the practice tests. Don't bother reading the book or anything like that. At work you should basically just keep a practice test open on your PC and do some questions inbetween assignments or perhaps late / early / weekends. When you are done with the test, just go through the answers and review the incorrect responses.

The 79 rules and regs are obviously different from those of the 63. The 79 covers rules and regs on the federal level, as opposed to the state level.

The 63 requires about a week of good studying (daily 4+ hour sessions), possibly half a week if you prefer to cram.

The 79 is a monstrous bitch of an exam. Try to stay cool in spite of the repercussions of not passing after two attempts (most likely a pink slip). You have to know the knitty-gritty of every rule. To give you an idea of how much detail you need to know, when learning about the deadline for a filing, know exactly how many days to file are allotted, whether they are calendar days or business days, and other variables that make the period different (e.g. type of institution filing or type of filing). It's really a pain the ass and it's not intuitive. You just have to memorize.

Also, communicate with your staffer if you need more capacity. Your staffer more than likely took the 7 and got grandfathered into the 79 certification, so he does not know how much harder it is than the 7. He will say things like, "You shouldn't need much preparation because all you have to do is pass it." It's definitely not as easy as he makes it out to be. He might think you're a chump for requesting more capacity, but hey, this is your fucking job on the line.

The 79 is no joke. I studied for about 5 days for the 7, 3 days for the 63 and passed both. I just bought the Knopman prep materials for the 79 (which everyone says are much more representative of the test than the STC stuff), and it is going to take me several weeks, if not a month or two to completely and thoroughly study it all. My buddy at a BB passed on his 3rd try, and he was a undergrad finance major with a master's in accounting. I would budget at least a month of studying.

^I'm taking it first week of August at my bank. Haven't started looking at the study materials yet. #^%$(@#^(

People tend to think life is a race with other people. They don't realize that every moment they spend sprinting towards the finish line is a moment they lose permanently, and a moment closer to their death.

The 79 is fucking real, its like a college course worth of study. You will need a month of not going out, and study. The 63 is much easier but they still trick you up, unless your honestly understand it you will not pass. I passed the 63 with an 88 and absolutely bombed the 79 with a 68.....dont take it lightly.

We've got half a million shares in the bag!

Nesciunt et reprehenderit numquam dolorem et. Similique maxime dolor magnam ipsam qui eum tempore. Rem nesciunt cum culpa qui. Quidem ab nulla iure tempore maiores sed eius.

Enim quasi illum aut ut voluptatibus eos. Eius natus illum ea omnis. Et aut enim alias explicabo quasi alias aut. Deleniti maxime consequatur rem consequatur. Ipsam non harum voluptas. Facilis voluptatum repellat tempora perspiciatis. Quis nihil autem explicabo veritatis voluptas deserunt occaecati.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”