My boss just offered to stake me $500k

Alright monkies, so my boss just offered to stake me up to $500k if I can find a good idea to bring to him whether it be a trading idea or an M&A deal. I can run the entire thing and all he'll do is provide capital.

The stipulations:

• No tech investments (which sucks ass because that's my area of expertise)
  • No investments in anything that involves significant amounts of infrastructure (this rules out something like a restaurant).

$500k can't exactly buy me a bunch of companies that I can package up and resell so right now, I'm thinking options and futures plays for the most leverage.

Having said that though, I'm sure there are better ideas out there.. so I'm now turning to WSO. As additional incentive, if you bring me a deal that goes through, I'll pay a finders fee.

alexpasch:
manbearpig:
Dude, I just posted a few minutes ago because I'm looking for a financial backer for my trading strategy. I've returned over a 100% in 4 months on my paper trades.

Key word there, PAPER trades.

Paper trades only because I'm in consulting at a Big4. Independence policies not allowing me to trade for real are really screwing me over. With real money, I would do the exact same shit.

-MBP

$500K is a ridiculous amount to work with. Big enough that it's kinda a big deal, too small to really accomplish a huge project with.

I have a couple ideas on the algorithmic trading front as well as a few ideas to help with the sales process in IBD. If you work at the same bank as me, maybe I can help. Otherwise, I have an IPA that I can't violate.

IlliniProgrammer:
$500K is a ridiculous amount to work with. Big enough that it's kinda a big deal, too small to really accomplish a huge project with.

I have a couple ideas on the algorithmic trading front as well as a few ideas to help with the sales process in IBD. If you work at the same bank as me, maybe I can help. Otherwise, I have an IPA that I can't violate.

Mmmm, India Pale Ale....

More is good, all is better

alexpasch:
^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHA

well played, sir.

(No way the OP's boss goes on WSO, lol)

You would be surprised...

Joshua Keller

EDUCATION Columbia University NY, NY Bachelor of Science in Finance, May 2009 • GPA: 3.8 / 4.0; Major GPA: 3.8 / 4.0 (Dean’s List)

I would go with coal companies, It is hard to substitute, is in short supply because of the weather and once steel mills get it on again its going to do even better. An M&A deal, but this is kind of risky proposition, is to go into emerging markets. There is a database of a Latam country with reputable financial information about a lot of companies based there, so all you have to do is search which sector do you want, see if any of the companies look good, and then decide (I have used it for credit risk assessments).

Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards. - Tacitus Dr. Nick Riviera: Hey, don't worry. You don't have to make up stories here. Save that for court!

El_Mono:
I would go with coal companies, It is hard to substitute, is in short supply because of the weather and once steel mills get it on again its going to do even better. An M&A deal, but this is kind of risky proposition, is to go into emerging markets. There is a database of a Latam country with reputable financial information about a lot of companies based there, so all you have to do is search which sector do you want, see if any of the companies look good, and then decide (I have used it for credit risk assessments).

A link to that database would be useful...

^ ^ ^ ^ LMAO. XD

Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards. - Tacitus Dr. Nick Riviera: Hey, don't worry. You don't have to make up stories here. Save that for court!

Best Response

Unfortunately, this comes from the 2011 Roommate Thread... But well-played nonetheless.

Paul.Allen:
City: NYC Preferred Areas: Midtown, Murray Hill, Somewhere near Rockefeller Center, Soho, Near a Subway Start Date: July 1st (Will start training overseas however) Lease Start: After June (Prefer mid June) Position: FT Analyst - IBD at a MM/BB Total Roommates: 2-4 Your Gender: Male Roommate Gender: No preference Budget: up to 1500(lower is better) Contact: PM
Paul.Allen:
Just to update my post

I will start in Mid July, looking to start leasing July 1st in midtown/Murray hill

Well A. is the obvious metrics: position of price relative to historic, value, etc etc

B. the cardiac study. The cardiac study is requested because of the effects of bupropion, and it seems like really bad news but it really isn't. First of all bupropion is already approved and is sold as Wellbutrin and Zyban. Granted, Wellbutrin it is not recommended to patients with heart problems, but NOT because it is highly dangerous - it is being compared to SSRIs, which have been shown to have a positive effect on heart health after a heart attack, can't beat that. Also, while depression is loosely linked to heart disease, the link isn't strong enough to offset the potential risk from Wellbutrin. Second, the study would not need to be very long. For obese people, losing even 5-10% of their body weight drastically improves their health and lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, thus offsetting the risk of cardiac problems that may be caused by elevated blood pressure and increased heart rate that bupropion causes in about 1% of cases. Pretty much the study would need to consist of a more representative profile of obese people, last about 1-2 years (at 5% body weight loss per year), and hopefully avoid deaths. Third, even if the experiment fails for people with heart problems, it doesn't mean that the drug won't be approved. It will just be approved with disclaimers to exclude people with heart disease. Obviously it's not the best scenario, but it's not as bad as not being able to release the drug, which I don't think is a big risk. Another obesity medication that is subject to heart disease restriction is phentermine. It's an amphetamine-based (=heart risks through the roof) appetite suppressant, that is prescribed for short term treatment (no longer than 3 months) ONLY to obese patients without existing heart problems (so similar profile to the subject of the existing Contrave study). Moreover, Zyban also has a disclaimer excluding people with heart problems, and it can be argued that the link between smoking and heart disease is as significant as the risk between obesity and heart disease, and so excluding smokers with heart disease makes the drug useless to people that need it the most (argument used to justify speculation why a cardiac study not showing benefit to obese people with heart disease would not get the drug approved)

Of course, there's a risk that OREX will chose to not bother (although I don't see why they wouldn't, since FDA will most like request similar cardio data for their other bupropione based drug), but there's another ace in the sleeve:

C. Empatic While Empatic is still in stage 2, I believe that it will be much more promising than Contrave, mainly because I like Zonisamide better than naltrexone. First of all, bupropione's main side effect is not heart problems, it is seizures. Seizures are very dose-dependent, so the higher the dose, the higher is the risk of seizures. By combining bupropione with a seizure medication such as zonisamide, the dosage of bupropione can be increased significantly without increasing incidence of seisures. At higher doses bupropione would be more effective for weight loss, and at that point the risk/reward profile of the drug changes significantly and the heart risk wouldn't be as big of a problem. Second, as a GABA reuptake inhibitor, it would foster better self-control. And let's be realistic here - fat people aren't fat because they have special hoarding genes (theory has been refuted) or a super low metabolism , but because they have no self-control around food. Third, loss of appetite is one of the side effects. And last but not least, FDA issued a warning that it may cause metabolic acidosis. Sounds horrible, right? Except that metabolic acidosis in this case is most likely ketoacidosis (eliminating other causes such as renal failure which would be excluded as a pre-existing condition), and ketoacidosis is an out of control ketosis. So if some people have an out of control ketosis, i think it is a prudent assumption that many others get normal ketosis, and while an actual study would need to be done, i think in this case the indication may be that zonisamide encourages the body to enter a ketotic state, i.e. use fat reserves for fuel, rather than crave glucose . Because of these characteristics of zonisamide, I believe that the results of stage 3 of Empatic will be very very promising.

P.S: A lot of my points are addressing the concerns in the anti-orex articles, such as this for example:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/250322-orexigen-therapeutics-70-off-is-…

More is good, all is better

Soluta ab tempore autem veritatis nemo. Consequatur ea id officiis et asperiores ut. Tempore soluta odit est eum et rerum.

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”