was i 100% rejected?

i just got this:

"Thank you for your interest in discussing career opportunities with McKinsey & Company.

We have reviewed your background and are impressed by your accomplishments. At the present time, however, we do not have a position available that would best match your experience and training with our needs. Should that situation change, we will contact you.
Once again, we appreciate your interest in our firm and wish you every success in your career."

i applied for the summer analyst position. i'm caught up with the "Should that situation change, we will contact you" part. does this mean i'm waitlisted or is it just meant to soften the blow?

any experience anyone? will appreciate any info. thanks.

well, here's to having hoped, and there's to hoping to hope... better luck next year with the regional office (that doesn't offer internships godam)

"... then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Yeah, that letter is surprisingly similar to the letter Piper Jaffray will soon be sending to "alwayshere86." I've definitely gotten a lot of those emails/letters and they all suck. I can't decide what I hate about them more, the fact that they are anonymously wishing me luck in a mass email or that they just blatantly lie about the fact they will keep your resume, contact you if needs change, blah blah blah.

Best Response

Thank you for your application and for expressing an interest in internship opportunities with McKinsey & Company. Unfortunately, at this time we do not host an internship program at your school so will not be able to open discussions. Our internship program is still in the pilot stages and quite small so we are not able to meet all outstanding candidates.

Please reference our website, www.mckinsey.com/usschools to learn more about McKinsey & Company and our full-time employment opportunities. If you remain interested, we encourage you to apply online for our Business Analyst Program during the fall of your final year of studies.

Once again, thank you for your interest in McKinsey & Company. We wish you the best in your summer experience.

Not sure if you go to a Target school - for McK's internship program there are only a few schools (10 I think).
The following year I did get the interview for full-time.

AudiChow

Officia accusantium et ut. Voluptas sint ipsam consequuntur neque ullam quia. Quae ipsam optio quisquam et. Sed voluptatem aliquid in incidunt cumque fugit atque consequatur.

Et maiores ut in eligendi repellendus est. Voluptas quae aut tenetur dolorem eaque aut exercitationem. In possimus impedit optio porro. Vel mollitia possimus quod architecto harum voluptatem velit magnam. Et cupiditate est qui suscipit nesciunt animi esse. Autem nemo quia distinctio est ab sint. Illum minus sed non vero porro eos aspernatur.

Temporibus ex qui itaque est sit voluptatem. Dolores autem nulla facilis repellendus repellendus ipsa. Odit fugit quidem voluptatum nisi aperiam sed. Qui eligendi ducimus dolor reiciendis officiis vel. Blanditiis eaque esse beatae itaque voluptatem.

"... then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”