2014 Recruiting - Chatter About things starting up

I've been hearing some chatter around the bullpen and from the recruiters that things are starting to get going. Fresh from a headhunter today - Centerbridge, New Mountain, GTCR & Audax are all going out this weekend / early next week and over over the next few weeks everything will be happening.

Anybody heard anything else? Or received invitations from the firms mentioned above?

I have heard the same as well. Sounds like the process is getting started.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

ricottacheese:
hedge funds have started

My understanding was that most hedge funds tend to hire as-needed and not with the 14-16 month lead time that many PE firms follow. Is there a certain group of hedge funds that follows that cycle as well?

wso1234:
ricottacheese:
hedge funds have started

My understanding was that most hedge funds tend to hire as-needed and not with the 14-16 month lead time that many PE firms follow. Is there a certain group of hedge funds that follows that cycle as well?

Yes. Talk to your headhunters, more than a few have already started and are currently in process for 2014 associates.

ricottacheese:
tdorman08:
Yep, can definitley confirm the WP process.

Nope not true. WP is starting coffee chats and the like with a few analysts and hasn't even sent out all the invites yet. official process hasn't started and will not happen until january.

This isn't what I have heard. What makes you so confident that they will wait until January?

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

ricottacheese:
tdorman08:

Nope not true. WP is starting coffee chats and the like with a few analysts and hasn't even sent out all the invites yet. official process hasn't started and will not happen until january.

I doubt that...I can see Warburg holding off if any of the other megafunds decide to start recruiting.

AstonMartin:
ricottacheese:
tdorman08:

I doubt that...I can see Warburg holding off if any of the other megafunds decide to start recruiting.

I think he is contending that they will all hold off until January, not just WP. Though I'm interested as to the source of this rumor.

NorthSider:
AstonMartin:
ricottacheese:
tdorman08:

I think he is contending that they will all hold off until January, not just WP. Though I'm interested as to the source of this rumor.

This is not a rumor - most of the big funds waited until January to recruit for their Summer 2013 classes and they all will continue as such for Summer 2014. A few large funds did not wait and recruited in Spring, including Silver Lake and Advent, though most megafunds waited. Don't know what the landscape will be like this year but I imagine that since GS and now MS has a policy where analysts have to wait to recruit, more funds will be inclined to wait but time will tell. i can confirm that warburg (which did 2013 recruiting only 2.5 months ago) is NOT recruiting for 2014 until next january as they (along with the other funds that waited) were happy with the results. they may be starting coffee chats but that will continue for the next ~8 months and will span across a very wide group of analysts across the street.

Best Response
ricottacheese:
This is not a rumor - most of the big funds waited until January to recruit for their Summer 2013 classes and they all will continue as such for Summer 2014. A few large funds did not wait and recruited in Spring, including Silver Lake and Advent, though most megafunds waited. Don't know what the landscape will be like this year but I imagine that since GS and now MS has a policy where analysts have to wait to recruit, more funds will be inclined to wait but time will tell. i can confirm that warburg (which did 2013 recruiting only 2.5 months ago) is NOT recruiting for 2014 until next january as they (along with the other funds that waited) were happy with the results. they may be starting coffee chats but that will continue for the next ~8 months and will span across a very wide group of analysts across the street.

Definitely am aware that the big funds waited until January last year, but it seems like there is chatter that the process could go earlier this year. There are definitely GS / MS analysts that are involved in the process going on right now, despite the official policy.

EDIT: Per GoBuyside, WP held an analyst event and interviews could be "a quick turnaround".

i can confirm that warburg (which did 2013 recruiting only 2.5 months ago) is NOT recruiting for 2014 until next january as they (along with the other funds that waited) were happy with the results. they may be starting coffee chats but that will continue for the next ~8 months and will span across a very wide group of analysts across the street.

I can confirm you're wrong about warburg and probably one or two other megafunds regarding waiting until january. In general funds were not happy with the results except maybe TPG, but their returns have been so shitty they'll take anything.

Nobody wants to be stuck with a pool of only GS candidates and leftovers from other banks.

And I heard there have been plenty of GS candidates at these interviews/info sessions

perecruitingquestions:
What happens at these cocktail events? If you're invited, what are your odds of getting an actual interview?

think of it as the networking portion at the end of a campus networking event. tons of people crowding around a few investment professionals schmoozing, etc.

odds are high, probably 60+% once youre invited to the cocktail event. more like 100% if youre a top 5 group.

If you're on the GoBuyside distribution they you can see a pretty extensive list (that I posted below) of all the firms that are interviewing currently. I think they update this list regularly and send email updates.

American Securities American Securities Opportunities Fund Anchorage Capital Arlon Capital Partners
Audax Group Baupost Group Berkshire Partners Cantillon Capital Management Centerbridge D.E. Shaw Dragoneer Farallon Capital General Atlantic GTCR HBK Investments The Jordan Company King’s Street Capital Marcato Capital Maverick Capital New Mountain Capital Pershing Square Sansome Partners Silver Lake Sumeru Silver Point Capital SPO Partners Stockbridge Investors (Berkshire Partners Hedge Fund) Sycamore Partners Valiant Capital Valinor Management Vector Capital Welsh Carson

akybaky:
If you're on the GoBuyside distribution they you can see a pretty extensive list (that I posted below) of all the firms that are interviewing currently. I think they update this list regularly and send email updates.

American Securities American Securities Opportunities Fund Anchorage Capital Arlon Capital Partners
Audax Group Baupost Group Berkshire Partners Cantillon Capital Management Centerbridge D.E. Shaw Dragoneer Farallon Capital General Atlantic GTCR HBK Investments The Jordan Company King’s Street Capital Marcato Capital Maverick Capital New Mountain Capital Pershing Square Sansome Partners Silver Lake Sumeru Silver Point Capital SPO Partners Stockbridge Investors (Berkshire Partners Hedge Fund) Sycamore Partners Valiant Capital Valinor Management Vector Capital Welsh Carson

D.E. Shaw, pershing, and baupost are probably the most selective firms on this list.

mbavsmfin:
akybaky:

D.E. Shaw, pershing, and baupost are probably the most selective firms on this list.

Ridiculous comment.

Interesting that none of the other megafunds have started. I wonder if they are going to hold off until January once again.

A more updated version from Gobuyside of firms currently interviewing:

Advent International American Securities American Securities Opportunities Fund Anchorage Capital Arlon Capital Partners
Audax Group Baupost Group Berkshire Partners Cantillon Capital Management CD&R Group Centerbridge Century Park Capital D.E. Shaw Dragoneer Eton Park Management Farallon Capital Francisco Partners General Atlantic Golden Gate Capital GTCR HBK Investments Hellman and Friedman The Jordan Company Kayne Anderson Capital King’s Street Capital Leonard Green & Partners Madison Dearborn Partners Marcato Capital Maverick Capital NEA New Mountain Capital Oaktree Principal Group Oaktree Distressed Debt Pershing Square Reservoir Capital Sansome Partners Silver Lake Sumeru Silver Point Capital SPO Partners Stockbridge Investors (Berkshire Partners Hedge Fund) Sycamore Partners Technology Crossover Ventures THL Partners Towerbrook Capital Valiant Capital Valinor Management Vector Capital Warburg Pincus Welsh Carson

I can confirm, I am chatter

Disclaimer for the Kids: Any forward-looking statements are solely for informational purposes and cannot be taken as investment advice. Consult your moms before deciding where to invest.

dukebanker12:
it seems recruiting starts pretty early during your 1st year. do you guys have any recommendations for incoming analysts to do in order to prep / position themselves for PE interviews? practice building LBOs? books to read? deal experience to request?

thanks in advance

+1. If Nouveau Richie has something to say about West coast recruiting that'd be fantastic.

dukebanker12:

it seems recruiting starts pretty early during your 1st year. do you guys have any recommendations for incoming analysts to do in order to prep / position themselves for PE interviews? practice building LBOs? books to read? deal experience to request?

thanks in advance

ditto...

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

djkakoc:
djkakoc:
Did anyone hear back from Warburg or TPG?
And btw did Warburg sent out the second round/modeling test invitations?
Can confirm they have done modelling tests. Had a first round and they asked to stay right after for a modelling test and additional interview. Does anyone know if WP made offers yet or called more people back post modelling interview??

The hedge fund forum isn't quite as active so posting here. Is there any movement on the hedge fund front? More specifically for distressed funds?

I know there were interviews at some major funds; did anybody receive offers already? ie. Centerbridge, King Street, Silver Point, Anchorage etc...

Aut et molestiae excepturi molestiae molestiae. Possimus facere et assumenda dolorum harum totam. Quia cumque esse aut accusamus officia quos.

Unde autem esse eos sit dolorem delectus. Aut tempora ad distinctio sed omnis deserunt in. Rerum in voluptas sit. Ducimus amet temporibus perspiciatis. Et sapiente totam non perspiciatis. In id minus inventore harum aut et ut.

Eos modi dolorem vel rem similique id earum. Aut libero repudiandae consectetur laboriosam consequuntur.

Odio debitis inventore velit sit et. Maiores reiciendis dolor sit et. Dolorem rerum dignissimos tempore architecto placeat assumenda.

Hic voluptates tempore dolores culpa quod. Eius molestiae qui eaque excepturi saepe hic. Et voluptatem autem impedit magni. Eos voluptatum nostrum at voluptates.

Fugit natus et minima. Voluptate corrupti officia vel autem veniam explicabo nihil. Repudiandae beatae quaerat eaque eos officiis debitis. Non eius fugit rerum ipsa.

Temporibus omnis qui non dolor. Omnis earum beatae suscipit minus eum laboriosam. Voluptate quibusdam et officia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”