$650M AUM HF

I'm looking at a hedge fund with a $650M AUM and 3 guys in the office. How would one view the size of this shop?

Is it considered big because of it's AUM vs people in the office or is just a medium/small sized? Just interested. Thank you.

fraoz02:

Nope. Just asking about this specific fund. Not sure what your point is?

My point is if you don't think you could ever manage that amount of money, then it's big enough for you. If you think you will, then it's small.

AUM is mid-sized but I'd be very concerned about having only 3 people at that size. That is way too few for a sustainable investment firm (I almost doubt you're not trolling it's so off market). At the very least the fund should have 2-3 investment people, 1-2 operations people, 1 accounting/CFO type of person, usually a business development person as well. I'd guess the ratio is about 1 staff per 50-100 million of AUM (the ratio changes as the fund grows, even $100mm AUM fund should have 3-4 people) of AUM, so the average one billion hedge fund has 10-20 employees.

Best Response

$650mm shop has 2 & 20 fee structure --> $650mm shop has a 15% return one year --> $650mn shop enjoys $32.5mm between the mgmt & performance fee in one year --> $650mm shop shares that $32.5mm amongst 4 people (the 3 guys, plus you when you join)...

That seems like an amazing setup to me! If you don't take it could you refer me?

It's a mid size hedge fund. I look at it this way. If it has 3 to 4 people and they are managing $650M, it's a great opportunity for you to learn and have more exposure than going to a big fund where you would just be analyzing and that's it.

bluegold:

It can work, OP hasnt mentioned any sort of strategy. But a lot of the back office can be outsourced

This. No need to spend a bunch on infrastructure and back office staff when you can get a 3rd party to do it on the cheap.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Depending on strategy this sounds like a great opp to me. Not sure what your concerns are. If you don't like the people, obviously don't accept or you won't make it to 6 months mark.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Everyone who is replying that having only 3 people and that much AUM is actually a good thing (ie WOW! FEES/EMPLOYEES) is just naive. Can anyone here name a single other $500 million hedge fund with just 3 employees? How about just 5? Maybe it's fine (it could certainly be) but there is a lot of risk when you are grossly understaffed. Make sure you ask the right questions.

HedgeHog:

Everyone who is replying that having only 3 people and that much AUM is actually a good thing (ie WOW! FEES/EMPLOYEES) is just naive. Can anyone here name a single other $500 million hedge fund with just 3 employees? How about just 5? Maybe it's fine (it could certainly be) but there is a lot of risk when you are grossly understaffed. Make sure you ask the right questions.

This. Might be good experience at entry level but high level of career risk. I know $250MM funds with >10 employees.

To me it sounds like you have 3 PMs that all want to be paid like the head of a HF so they haven't hired other people so they all can make a big pay day. I'd do a lot of research into their backgrounds and plans for the firm. Everyone saying aum/person is great but they'll pay you the same analyst pay you'd get a firm with a worse ratio, I promise.

Yes it is more akin to joining a start up than a graduate program at a bank in terms of the risk/reward scale, but thats the point, its risk and reward.

People using AUM per person metrics dont understand how easily it scales. Managing 200m is the same as managing 650m, which is the same as managing 1b, the key factors that determine headcount needed is market depth/liquidity/strategy type, everything else is just a matter of scaling.

Also most large multi strat hedge funds will have teams of 1-3 running a couple hundred million of capital each. Obviously this doesnt factor in back office/legal/compliance, but that can always be outsourced.

The beauty of a lean firm is that there is a lot for you to get your hands on and add value in. Trust me, in a good year you will get much more than a generic analyst in a 30bln fund with 300 FO employees unless the PMs think of you as just a pure cost and therefore will pay you as little as they can get away with. But if its a situation where you can come in and be considered part of the team and its fairly collegiate (which in a small team rarely doesnt happen), then the upside is much larger.

End of the day, this is a question of risk and reward, theres risk, but the upside is there, and the OP needs to make that judgement based on a) his confidence in the firm and b) his confidence in himself.

Sometimes the risk averseness on this forum shocks me. Swing the bat kids, life is a lot more fun if you do.

As people said, just run the numbers, 2% fee is 13m then if you make 10%, thats 65m and you get 20% of that which is another 13m, so 26m that is for running costs and comp. Obviously if you dont have an equity stake then you definitely wont have a big slice, but at least theres a lot to go around with not that many mouths to feed.

You also have massive upside as being one of the early people in the door if the thing properly takes off.

If you want to hit it big, this is one of the ways to do it. If you look at a lot of the big funds, even people who were in IR did extremely well if they were in the door very early.

Yeah same here. Sounds like a lot of non industry posters ranting about headcount. Ask any PM at a multi manager platform and see if they have a huge team to manage .5bn. 3-4 max if that... You can outsource everything and I presume group is running a single strat so very easy to manage among a small group.

Leaner the better for so many reasons. OP, disregard the nonsense from the college students.

Et dolores possimus sed vel. Quibusdam qui eveniet aut quia sint rem perferendis. Unde ea velit odio fugit.

Delectus ullam et dolorum et. Nisi doloremque quae saepe sit optio molestias. Sunt dolores est soluta id sit omnis consequatur. Est ipsum sit quis deserunt eos culpa blanditiis. Molestias sed est voluptates debitis illo sunt blanditiis nam.

Pariatur velit aperiam placeat. Quidem culpa repellat est porro.

Tenetur officia maiores distinctio placeat vel et dolor. At laudantium dolorum asperiores ut fuga repellat sunt cum. Est minus neque eligendi voluptas dolorem labore. Commodi numquam sint est. Voluptatum ducimus optio et beatae eos quo eum. Nobis a tempora ut optio corrupti atque similique.

Fugit incidunt dolore et maiores et ut non. Corrupti id et quisquam aperiam voluptatum. Ea nesciunt ipsa qui ratione blanditiis ut.

Cupiditate quia fuga et iste quidem qui enim. Itaque est dolorem voluptas commodi odit consequatur incidunt. Natus quia occaecati veniam commodi vel voluptas architecto. Consequatur sed eum cupiditate dolorum consequatur consequatur. Odit totam ratione ut nobis tempora veritatis molestiae.

Itaque harum laboriosam rem et amet. Odio non voluptatem aut sunt vel. Tempora vero exercitationem ut est. Illo iste ut error praesentium rerum delectus quisquam. Quibusdam laudantium voluptatem pariatur et consequatur id. Dolores eveniet atque quo enim. Harum quis qui quas.

Aut consectetur voluptatibus laudantium voluptatem sit itaque saepe. Maiores sit voluptatem minima aut. Ad eligendi ea voluptatem voluptatem alias doloribus. Ea dolor ullam deleniti. Fugiat libero officiis modi et aut. Voluptatem dolores sed nobis nemo soluta aut provident et. Sunt quis quibusdam officia aperiam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”