• Sharebar

Does anyone know what jos a bank's superfine rating system means? They have 6, 4 and 2 star ratings but they don't specify what the wool quality is (i.e. super 100, 110, etc.).

Comments (44)

  • olafenizer's picture

    oh for fuck's sake

  • SirLaurenceWildman's picture

    Avoid Jos A Bank. They may have superficially good deals, but the quality is not great. They're like $100-200/suit (using discounts & promotions).

    Go with Brooks Brothers.

    __________________
    "I came here to drink milk and kick ass.... and I've just finished my milk." - Maurice Moss

  • accountingbyday's picture

    DON'T buy at JAB.

    If you're looking to get 1 or 2 decent suits, but not trying to spend much - Brooks Brothers outlet

  • Midas Mulligan Magoo's picture

    Lol. Knew a guy who traded them for a few weeks and made a killing. All because he loved on of their off the rack specials. Go figure.

  • TNA's picture

    All this go buy brooks brothers shit is stupid. That is like someone asking about a honda civic and being told to buy an E class.

    Go take a look at the suit and see hownit feels. If you like it then buy it. Just make sure you get it fitted by a tailor. Banana Republic makes some ok suits.

  • SirLaurenceWildman's picture

    BB isn't that expensive, especially @ outlet malls.

    Macy's has good deals with coupons. Try Hart Schaffner Marx or above.

    __________________
    "I came here to drink milk and kick ass.... and I've just finished my milk." - Maurice Moss

  • BigRedAEM's picture

    I went down to the outlet malls two months ago and BB was offering 2 suits for $500.

  • nelly0's picture

    What Brooks Brothers lines are the best? 1818 collection? I went to the outlets recently and saw the 2 for $500 deal but the suit quality was unimpressive. Maybe I was looking at the wrong line?

    Also, since JAB is running this buy 1 get 2 free deal, are there ANY lines there that are good? Maybe the signature gold line? I'm poor so I'm trying to get 3 serviceable suits for a good price.

  • SirLaurenceWildman's picture

    There are several lines within the BB 1818 collection.

    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.pro...

    __________________
    "I came here to drink milk and kick ass.... and I've just finished my milk." - Maurice Moss

  • TNA's picture

    I am sorry, but I took a look at BB outlet in Philadelphia and I think their quality is shit. Most of that stuff is made specifically for the outlet store so other than the BB name you are getting sub par quality. If you want to talk about normal BB then I will agree that they make some nice suits, but if you are going to the outlet then you are paying for the name.

    I have multiple black label RL suits as well as Hugo and a suit I bought in London. All fitted by a tailer, all very nice and stylish. My favorite suit is the one I paid $400 bucks for at Banana. Fit and feel are all the matters man. I have never once had someone come up to me and be able to call out the brand of suit I have on.

  • In reply to TNA
    dorsia reservations's picture

    AnthonyD1982 wrote:
    I am sorry, but I took a look at BB outlet in Philadelphia and I think their quality is shit. Most of that stuff is made specifically for the outlet store so other than the BB name you are getting sub par quality. If you want to talk about normal BB then I will agree that they make some nice suits, but if you are going to the outlet then you are paying for the name.

    I have multiple black label RL suits as well as Hugo and a suit I bought in London. All fitted by a tailer, all very nice and stylish. My favorite suit is the one I paid $400 bucks for at Banana. Fit and feel are all the matters man. I have never once had someone come up to me and be able to call out the brand of suit I have on.

    Spot on. Suits are like vodka. Anyone can tell a shitty one from a mile away, but once you hit a certain level of quality, no one can tell the difference, except for the experts (but I doubt there are many Wall Streeters that are tailors are the side)

  • nelly0's picture

    Thanks guys. I'll just go check it out for myself.

  • schifm08's picture

    Brooks Brothers outlets I do think are shit. I think the OP would be better off getting 1 suit from BB. I'd take 1 suit from BB over 3 shitty suits from Jos A Bank. The 1818 collection is on sale online right now and the new Milano line is sharp.

    "Buy 1 suit, get 2 free" How does that not sound alarms off in someones head that it's a, ahem, "Shitty deal"

  • yanks88's picture

    Brooks Brother outlet stores are NOT the same as the regular BB's. Quality is much less from the outlet. You can tell by touching and, and even had a salesman tell me they are.

  • ZIRH's picture

    i got a suit from boss and another from theory, best money i've ever spent, great fit, quality and trendy, yet conservative enough to wear to work. i think brooks brothers suits are too boxy...

  • In reply to ZIRH
    schifm08's picture

    ZIRH wrote:
    i got a suit from boss and another from theory, best money i've ever spent, great fit, quality and trendy, yet conservative enough to wear to work. i think brooks brothers suits are too boxy...

    I've yet to purchase a Theory or Boss suit but I've heard good things about them. Compared to the returning trend of thin lapel-fitted suits, yes Brooks Brothers is boxy, but it's what's been the trend for the last 30 years. The Milano line, however, is a new BB line that is more of a fitted suit with narrow lapels.

  • chewingum's picture

    To all you guys talking about RL black/purple label - where do you find these suits (besides the actual RL store I guess)? All I see is the "Lauren by RL" line, which doesn't seem to be the same thing.

    Thanks

  • nelly0's picture

    Went shopping today and looks like I'll be getting a Boss suit for ~$450. Great fit and material. I basically fell in love when I put it on. I'm assuming that it's a great deal too to get it around 60% of the retail price.

  • In reply to chewingum
    TNA's picture

    chewingum wrote:
    To all you guys talking about RL black/purple label - where do you find these suits (besides the actual RL store I guess)? All I see is the "Lauren by RL" line, which doesn't seem to be the same thing.

    Thanks

    You have to go to a Ralph Lauren store in a decent city. I bought one suit on vacation in Vegas and another in NYC. That or go to a higher end mens clothing store.

    @Nelly - $450 for a Boss suit is solid.

  • In reply to nelly0
    Banker88's picture

    nelly0 wrote:
    Went shopping today and looks like I'll be getting a Boss suit for ~$450. Great fit and material. I basically fell in love when I put it on. I'm assuming that it's a great deal too to get it around 60% of the retail price.

    Where did you get a Boss suit for $450?

  • nelly0's picture

    Local Nordstrom's. They are having their "anniversary sale" right now. Suit was marked down from $795 to $500 and then coupons+card sign-up discounts = $450. I was pretty shocked myself as they are normally way out of my price range. It's a Navy Hugo Boss Pasolini suit.

  • chewingum's picture

    Anthony if you don't mind me asking how much did your RL BL/PL suits cost? Any way to get them below retail price?

    Btw on the Hugo Boss, I have a 2-button charcoal Pasolini that I got for $350 at an outlet. It fits like a potato sack though

  • TNA's picture

    I have an older Boss pinstripe suit that I absolutely love. Paid more than $450 though, grrrr.

    @Chewinggum

    I have a navy BL RL, with the side waste adjusters that I paid 1K for. I have a black BL RL suit that cost me about 2K. I enjoy them both and they are very nice suits, but considering the ~$450 Banana Republic suit I have is my favorite I would probably reconsider those purchases. I have 7 suits and the cheaper ones are actually the ones I like better.

    What makes an expensive suit cost so much

    The material is usually (not always) better or more fine. The buttons tend to be better. The stitching is better. The back and part of the body is not fused (glued) which makes it fit better. Shit like that. In general, a whole bunch of little things that only someone into suits and clothing would know about.

    Same thing with ties. It really is all about their thickness. Cheap ties are real thin. You cannot tie a respectable knot with a thin tie. Pick up a tie and feel it. It should be like 1/4 inch thick. That is all you need.

    Hermes ties are printed ties. I personally love the designs (Vineyard Vines also), but it is name brand. I literally have a dozen Nautica ties that I think I paid less than $20 bucks for that are conservative and thick. Real nice knots and hang appropriately.

    Shoes are another thing. I bought a pair of Coach loafers around 7-8 years ago. Absolutely love those shoes. I just recently got them resoled, new heals and a crack filled in. Brand new as far as I am concerned. I paid $200 or so 8 years ago and I am sure I will have them for another 8 years. Shoes take a beating and you can really tell quality if you know what to look for.

    On the other hand I have some rubber soled Donald Pliners that I got maybe 5 years ago and they are going strong. The soles are glued (cheaper build), but they are still in good shape. You don't fall on your ass in the ice like you do with the leather soles also. I paid about as much as the shoes above. I don't think I will get 8 years more out of them.

    Side note, I like the Pliners so much I am trying to get a guy to take off the rubber and sew on leather soles. Don't know if it will happen, but it is in the back of my mind.

    Long story short, buy what you like and take care of it and it will last. That thing that makes a suit look nice are its fit and the stuff underneath. Get a decent white shirt, find a nice and thick tie, know how to tie a knot, shine your shoes, etc. That makes the whole package stand out. Paying a lot doesn't.

    As I have gotten older I am more about getting custom stuff with no tags or brands on it. I could careless who makes the suit as long as I know the construction is superior.

  • chewingum's picture

    Thanks man that was helpful, appreciate it

  • In reply to chewingum
    nelly0's picture

    chewingum wrote:
    Anthony if you don't mind me asking how much did your RL BL/PL suits cost? Any way to get them below retail price?

    Btw on the Hugo Boss, I have a 2-button charcoal Pasolini that I got for $350 at an outlet. It fits like a potato sack though

    I didn't think these suits could possibly fit like a potato sack. I put on the jacket today and it fit like spandex. It was beautiful. The material is also really really nice. Overall its just a really solid suit. I'm happy I found it at this price.

  • IlliniProgrammer's picture

    If you are filthy, filthy rich and want to spend too much money on a suit, wait for The Men's Wearhouse to have a sale, and go in and buy two Joseph Abboudds or Pronto Uomos for the price of one. This will cost about $600 for two suits- a good deal for Joseph Abboud.

    If you aren't rich, I recommend JC Penney. Get a couple of Stafford or Jeffrey Banks 100% wool suits. If you are buying suit separates, buy an extra pair of pants- those are cheaper and generally wear out first. JCP will cost you $150-$200 each.

    Brooks Brothers has great suits, but Joseph Abboud makes high quality suits that generally last for about 250-300 days of use and Joseph Abboud *I think* is a little cheaper than Brooks Brothers when it's on sale. Not sure how Brooks Brothers durability is, but one of my analyst friends had a suit wear out on him after two years of average use. I'm hard on clothes and I've had *very* good experience with Joseph Abboud and Uomo- long-term, they might actually be cheaper than a $200 suit from JC Penney.

  • villagebanker's picture

    When you get an extra pair of pants with a suit, should you rotate the two pairs of pants to keep them from wearing out as fast or just wear one pair until it's worn out then switch to the new pair?

  • In reply to villagebanker
    IlliniProgrammer's picture

    villagebanker wrote:
    When you get an extra pair of pants with a suit, should you rotate the two pairs of pants to keep them from wearing out as fast or just wear one pair until it's worn out then switch to the new pair?

    You live in New York and have limited closet space. I say wear one till its worn out to maximize available closet space in the aggregate.

    At the end of the day, it's really not a big deal; I just wanted to share my discovery that it's more cost-effective to buy two pairs of pants with suit separates than one. Since there's a 90% chance the pants are what breaks on you first, you get, in the aggregate, 1.9 suits for the price of a suit and a $50 pair of pants.

  • villagebanker's picture

    I recently had a suit made for me while in Hong Kong and the tailor stressed that I get an extra pair of pants. I'm glad I did because I definitely won't be back there anytime soon.

  • In reply to chewingum
    Otter.'s picture

    chewingum wrote:
    To all you guys talking about RL black/purple label - where do you find these suits (besides the actual RL store I guess)? All I see is the "Lauren by RL" line, which doesn't seem to be the same thing.

    Thanks

    Lauren by RL is the outlet line. Nothing close to as good as the normal Ralph Lauren line. If you're buying these because you think you're buying good quality Ralph Lauren, you're wasting money. They're cheap and you get what you pay for.

    Go buy one or two good quality suits. They're worth the investment because they last.

    Hi, Eric Stratton, rush chairman, damn glad to meet you.

  • In reply to IlliniProgrammer
    cphbravo96's picture

    IlliniProgrammer wrote:
    villagebanker wrote:
    When you get an extra pair of pants with a suit, should you rotate the two pairs of pants to keep them from wearing out as fast or just wear one pair until it's worn out then switch to the new pair?

    You live in New York and have limited closet space. I say wear one till its worn out to maximize available closet space in the aggregate.

    At the end of the day, it's really not a big deal; I just wanted to share my discovery that it's more cost-effective to buy two pairs of pants with suit separates than one. Since there's a 90% chance the pants are what breaks on you first, you get, in the aggregate, 1.9 suits for the price of a suit and a $50 pair of pants.

    Just a consideration here...but you might be better off rotating them because as the jacket gets worn and dry cleaned, I'm sure its possible for it to fade over time...switching to a brand new pair of slacks might cause a contrast in colors that may be noticeable...maybe not...just something to think about.

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • IlliniProgrammer's picture

    I haven't noticed it, but then again, I'm only a detail-oriented guy when it comes to numbers, rather than fashion. I have ALL of my pants drycleaned more often than my jackets, and a quick look at the charcoal pants and jacket I'm wearing indicates no noticeable color difference.

    Seriously, though, I stick to getting my suit/pants drycleaned every 5-6 months as recommended by the Men's Wearhouse. Your suit will tear long before the number of drycleanings it takes to discolor something.

  • cfaboston28's picture

    To unlock this content for free, please login / register below.

    Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google

    Connecting helps us build a vibrant community. We'll never share your info without your permission. Sign up with email or if you are already a member, login here Bonus: Also get 6 free financial modeling lessons for free ($200+ value) when you register!
  • New Yorker's picture
  • IlliniProgrammer's picture
  • bulge4lyf's picture

    I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing.