Technical Question: Cost of Capital in 100% Debt Company

I was recently asked this in an interview.

Q: Assume a company's capital structure is 100% debt. The cost of debt is 4%. The tax rate is 40%. What is the cost of capital?

Well, how would you answer?

debt in this case is functioning as the first loss capital - i.e. equity. Although the market rate on debt might be 4%, I would guess that cost of debt would approach the cost of equity - and would say that the market rate of debt would be 10% - the company's after-tax cost would be - 10* (1-40% tax) = 6%

discrete:
debt in this case is functioning as the first loss capital - i.e. equity. Although the market rate on debt might be 4%, I would guess that cost of debt would approach the cost of equity - and would say that the market rate of debt would be 10% - the company's after-tax cost would be - 10* (1-40% tax) = 6%

I don't understand--why construe the cost of equity for the market cost of debt? If we view the new debt as actually being equity, wouldn't the closest thing to market cost be the interest rate on the debt? Maybe I'm just lost, but I'm not getting why the 10% cost of equity comes in.

http://people.stern.nyu.edu/adamodar/pdfiles/country/levvalue.pdf

check out slides 44 onwards, and especially slide 45. As you increase leverage level to infinity D/E (or 100% debt financing), the riskiness of the company increases. In this case there is no equity, and as you can see mathematically when Damodaran computes it (check out the Hamada equation), the cost of debt approaches the cost of equity.

In that case, from the Company's perspective if debt is just called equity, and you get the tax benefits, the appropriate market-charged cost of debt should equate to the cost of equity for the company. Thus Kd * (1-t) = after-tax cost of capital for the company

I like to think of cost of capital for a company as what would be the marginal rate charged on an incremental dollar of capital.

2.4% would have shown that you know how to apply the formula. I remember getting this question during undergrad banking recruiting a few years ago - and i think it was a relatively standard concept taught in corporate finance.

out of curiosity - jd - what was the answer you thought was right afterwards?

discrete:
2.4% would have shown that you know how to apply the formula. I remember getting this question during undergrad banking recruiting a few years ago - and i think it was a relatively standard concept taught in corporate finance.

Well, this is what I was contemplating:

The capital structure on the books may be 100% debt, and therefore include zero equity. But the market value of equity is a separate measure. You could apply a multiple to the company's revenue or EBITDA to get an enterprise value, and using the debt on the books, back into an implied equity value. Then, you carry through with WACC.

Thoughts?

Best Response
jd-to-ib:
discrete:

Well, this is what I was thinking:

The capital structure on the books may be 100% debt, and therefore zero equity. But the market value of equity is a separate measure. You could apply a multiple to the company's revenue or EBITDA to get an enterprise value, than using the debt on the books, back into an implied equity value. Then, you can carry through with WACC.

Thoughts?

That's a stupid idea for several reasons

The excess value would just get reflected in the debt trading above par

discrete:

Are you saying 2.4% is the answer expected, or that the "standard concept taught in corporate finance" is what you posted about earlier, that the cost of debt in this case is actually the cost of equity?

Whoah, no need to get hostile.

Of course debt can trade over par. I didn't think anybody was questioning that. We all know the difference between book and market value.

But your solution doesn't make sense. If the debt is trading above par, the yield (and hence the cost of capital) would be lower, not higher. If you are arguing that debt in a 100% debt company should be treated like equity and take on a higher cost, one would expect the debt to trade below par, not above. This makes sense from an intuitive level. In order to entice investors to buy debt in an all-debt company, where he must accept equity-like risk, the debt would have to sell at a discount, not a premium.

Anyway, returning to the original query: if I answered 2.4%, how is the interviewer likely to have assessed my answer?

so just got back and saw the rest of the posts - a hypothetical situation posted was dividend recapping the company after buying it so that it is financed by 100% debt. Now in such a scenario - look at it from the lender's perspective - if they are at first risk of loss of capital (i.e. there's no equity cushion below them), then they should theoretically charge at least the cost of equity Ke (if not more considering the control rights attached to equity) in return for giving you the $100 loan.

I was approaching the question from that perspective - any incremental capital added would then be priced at Ke

Regarding the interview - like I said, I remember discussing this is in Advanced Corp. Fin in undergrad. Was asked this during the analyst interview - and the interviewer said "that's it" when I got it.

I agree with JD - look at any distressed company - as the market value of equity disappears, the subordinated tranches of debt start to trade way below par and are priced more like equity. If you think about interest rates charged for different tranches of the capital structure - i.e. mezz vs HY bonds vs senior loans etc. - you'll see that the more junior you are - the greater that specific slice of capital will cost.

In an LBO situation - the WACC doesn't really make sense due to the highly levered structure - and the APV is arguably a better valuation method to use (not really done in practice though - since you're just backing into expected IRRs in various scenarios).

Going back to JD's question - if I was interviewing, I would likely have pushed you on the logic of the answer. However, missing one question is not necessarily the end of the world for interview as long as you qualify / explain it.

discrete:
so just got back and saw the rest of the posts - a hypothetical situation posted was dividend recapping the company after buying it so that it is financed by 100% debt. Now in such a scenario - look at it from the lender's perspective - if they are at first risk of loss of capital (i.e. there's no equity cushion below them), then they should theoretically charge at least the cost of equity Ke (if not more considering the control rights attached to equity) in return for giving you the $100 loan.

I was approaching the question from that perspective - any incremental capital added would then be priced at Ke

Regarding the interview - like I said, I remember discussing this is in Advanced Corp. Fin in undergrad. Was asked this during the analyst interview - and the interviewer said "that's it" when I got it.

I agree with JD - look at any distressed company - as the market value of equity disappears, the subordinated tranches of debt start to trade way below par and are priced more like equity. If you think about interest rates charged for different tranches of the capital structure - i.e. mezz vs HY bonds vs senior loans etc. - you'll see that the more junior you are - the greater that specific slice of capital will cost.

In an LBO situation - the WACC doesn't really make sense due to the highly levered structure - and the APV is arguably a better valuation method to use (not really done in practice though - since you're just backing into expected IRRs in various scenarios).

Going back to JD's question - if I was interviewing, I would likely have pushed you on the logic of the answer. However, missing one question is not necessarily the end of the world for interview as long as you qualify / explain it.

Yeah but if you did the LBO at 100pct debt off the bat, it should price at par with the risk being reflected in the higher coupon.

Look, it's a stupid highly theoretical question that you can probably explain several different ways. What I can't stand though is people giving lame ass textbook answers like "debtholders are only entitled to interest and principal" so debt can't trade above par if a company's value (and therefore creditworthiness) increases.

mrb87:
Yeah but if you did the LBO at 100pct debt off the bat, it should price at par with the risk being reflected in the higher coupon.

Look, it's a stupid highly theoretical question that you can probably explain several different ways. What I can't stand though is people giving lame ass textbook answers like "debtholders are only entitled to interest and principal" so debt can't trade above par if a company's value (and therefore creditworthiness) increases.

Well, remember, the interest on the debt is given: 4%. That does not change. To increase yield, the price of the debt must be discounted. As expected, yield and price are inversely related.

You are right that debt holders aren't only entitled to interest and principal, as they often have legal claims to assets in the event of a distressed scenario. However, the more distressed a company gets, the more the market value of the debt tends to trade below par. Not above. You have it backwards. Think about it this way: the more distressed the company, the riskier any investment in it. Hence, any security in the company will be discounted to reflect that increased risk.

Of course, distressed investors will look for value where the broader market sees little or none. However, they operate on the very assumption that the market value of debt approaches zero as a company becomes increasingly distressed. There would be no bargains for them to find if that assumption didn't hold true.

I think the simple way of looking at (resulting in the 2.4% answer) is most likely what the interviewer was looking for (100% debt just simplifies things).

Alternatively, I could also see an answer that takes into account other factors (e.g. riskiness) as being relevant as well. Obviously hard to say over the internet, but I'm leaning toward the simple answer, though it can't hurt to mention other things that could affect the cost of capital.

Ok this is a long post and I didn't read through all the comments to see if there was a correct answer.

But the correct answer is it depends:

Graphically, the relationship between debt and wacc is non-linear but a parabolic one. The minimum point at the curve indicates the optimum capital structure of a company, If your company has not met its target capital structure, then taking on more debt is beneficial due to the realized tax benefits resulting from it (Lowers wacc)

However, once you move past the optimum capital structure, taking on additional debt has an adverse effect due to too much leverage (increases wacc).

So for this question, I would answer 2.4% if assuming the company is at its target capital structure (which is unrealistic), otherwise, with a 100% debt capital structure, I would answer that the cost of capital is at LEAST 2.4%.

Agree with mrb87, and going along the same lines of reasoning as Blackhawk Invoke Modigliani Miller here. Draw a picture of the WACC, cost of debt and equity as a function of leverage. In this scenario, your debt is extremely risky (as risky as equity) since an operating loss will mean that the company cant make its required payments. As the company earns profits, there is equity created, at which point you can try using WACC. You'll see that the debt is still risky (but less risky than before), but the cost of equity is high teens, low twenties or so.

Eum ullam quo maiores eum. Minus aperiam delectus molestias. Eum nisi sint deserunt consequatur soluta vel et. Ratione rerum reiciendis veniam dignissimos voluptatum dicta nam. Fugit omnis nemo magnam.

Sed itaque qui nihil reiciendis consequatur. Et dolorem harum nihil cumque omnis. Praesentium et corrupti incidunt sed.

Ut illum nemo iusto voluptatem sit alias quidem. Aliquam eius culpa sequi quo qui eos.

Eos aut quo repellat et vel quidem autem molestiae. Corporis sed voluptatem magnam dicta mollitia. Id ad consequatur nihil sed.

Fuga et sed voluptates consequuntur. Accusantium quos consequatur velit corrupti quia ad voluptatibus alias. Explicabo sed magnam dolor aut vitae rerum. Numquam dolore expedita est excepturi aliquid. Qui ipsam ut provident aspernatur.

Facilis quas aut vel qui impedit perferendis. Deleniti quia nulla voluptatem eum eos praesentium dolorem. Mollitia ea vel omnis velit. Error itaque officiis placeat aut vitae. Sapiente vel neque itaque voluptatem alias tempore soluta. Ipsa cupiditate et ullam quia aut quod.

Non enim ut est expedita magnam ea nesciunt. Quo autem sint nemo modi similique velit sint. Quasi ut et fuga nemo nihil occaecati.

Quia aut officiis debitis quidem. Laborum consequatur maiores sequi occaecati repellat aut. Et vitae quia iusto aut quibusdam. Enim ipsa architecto et neque.

Qui asperiores harum quia nobis sed quia distinctio debitis. Culpa cum atque illo labore et dolorum. Quos et corrupti fugit quis in voluptatem repellendus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”