• Sharebar

Hi guys,

Just wondering what are the chances of getting into Deloitte/Accenture technology consulting with a Canadian GPA of 3.54 for engineering master program. I know it's a bit low..but what is the reality? My undergrad cgpa was even lower so I don't even put it in my application.

I have done internships (hardware engineering, not relevant), some IT experience, and was also involved in university student associations in a target school in Toronto.

I have been facing rejections...I am not sure is it because of my GPA or I need more work on my cover letter /resume. I am targeting Toronto consulting firms.

Thanks guys, I would really appreciate some help.

Comments (15)

  • BCGDreamer's picture

    I'm sorry, man, but with this GPA, unless you are a Canadian Rhodes Scholar, your chance of getting even an interview is quite low.

  • Hsp70's picture

    I dont think his GPA is low

  • JackDevlin's picture

    What was your major field of study? Your GPA isn't low enough to ding you out of the gate. You're looking at the right firms - may I make a suggestion? IBM might be in your wheel house as well. It'll really help if you had an advocate at one of these places as well. I think your experience is good enough to get a call. Network, boss.

  • In reply to BCGDreamer
    pnb2002's picture

    BCGDreamer wrote:
    I'm sorry, man, but with this GPA, unless you are a Canadian Rhodes Scholar, your chance of getting even an interview is quite low.

    What's with your obsession with the Rhodes? Seriously...

    To the OP, your GPA isn't too low for Deloitte BTA or Accenture tech consulting. I'd say you just need to network more.

  • Steveisnotmyname's picture

    I've tried and failed with the Accenture route (despite thinking I did quite well), any other suggestions besides Deloitte?

  • In reply to JackDevlin
    skyblueseven's picture

    JackDevlin wrote:
    What was your major field of study? Your GPA isn't low enough to ding you out of the gate. You're looking at the right firms - may I make a suggestion? IBM might be in your wheel house as well. It'll really help if you had an advocate at one of these places as well. I think your experience is good enough to get a call. Network, boss.

    Thank you for your reply JackDevlin! I studied in Electrical Engineering. In fact I did send in an application for the consulting by degree program.
    Most of my applications are without referrals, I guess I have to network more for the up coming Jan cycle.

    In terms of IT consulting, how much do the manager weigh on extra curricular work like "case competition" or student association. Should I place more emphasis on work experience or technical skills? I feel like my resume/cover letter
    is missing the spark that would get my foot into the door.

    Thanks!

  • In reply to skyblueseven
    JackDevlin's picture

    skyblueseven wrote:
    JackDevlin wrote:
    What was your major field of study? Your GPA isn't low enough to ding you out of the gate. You're looking at the right firms - may I make a suggestion? IBM might be in your wheel house as well. It'll really help if you had an advocate at one of these places as well. I think your experience is good enough to get a call. Network, boss.

    Thank you for your reply JackDevlin! I studied in Electrical Engineering. In fact I did send in an application for the consulting by degree program.
    Most of my applications are without referrals, I guess I have to network more for the up coming Jan cycle.

    In terms of IT consulting, how much do the manager weigh on extra curricular work like "case competition" or student association. Should I place more emphasis on work experience or technical skills? I feel like my resume/cover letter
    is missing the spark that would get my foot into the door.

    Thanks!

    As expected, your undergrad degree is quant heavy. I would imagine you would be given some leeway with your GPA as your degree is an engineering BS (or CA equiv.). Speak to your technical skills on how your classes helped you evolve a deductive way of thinking. Consultants love RESULTS. In your cover letter and CV, make sure you make them aware of what you did and how it made the project better. Also important to speak about your ability to work well with a team, etc from your past experiences. Most all of this could be considered moot if you're going in cold (no networking). Keep us posted.

  • In reply to FinServConsultant
    Steveisnotmyname's picture

    Hey MBACFApending, sorry for the delayed response. I got through the first interview of the first round (which I feel like we could just call the first) and then got dinged after the second interview of the first round (which I feel like we could just call the second). Thought I did horrible on the first, and great on the second, so not sure why one passed me and the other dinged me...

  • static's picture

    I have a Canadian GPA lower than yours but have an offer for IT consulting. I did have more than "normal" amount of internships at big companies and did as much networking as possible. I lined up most of my interviews that way and that networking helped me get offers, too. So, I would not dwell on your GPA but work on networking and building a fantastic resume. Good luck!!

  • skyblueseven's picture

    Thanks JackDevlin and static! I will certainly network as much as I can before the next recruiting cycle.

    I do try to do networking, I do find people and some of them are willing to refer me for the application. However,
    I am wondering what other objectives do you guys suggest when I am doing networking? To be blunt, can networking with a VP or director in a big firm get me an interview at a big firm? I have always thought the
    recruiting processes are standard in big firms, unlike the old days...?

  • static's picture

    I have heard from more than one senior reps that (And maybe it's a Canadian thing so it may not be the case for our American friends here) partners/seniors are more than willing to go for coffee with aspiring consultants. I think the biggest thing for me was that i didn't ask for a job or ask for an interview. I just genuinely wanted to learn about consulting and asked questions about how they got to where they are.. and i guess they took sympathy?! haha I dont know - but they offered first to pass off my resume to their colleagues to skip the structured recruitment process.

    I've never tried the cold calling thing (asking out to coffee) so I can't tell you how successful that would be.. but I find 1:1 networking is so much easier and personal!

  • blah23's picture

    To unlock this content for free, please login / register below.

    Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google

    Connecting helps us build a vibrant community. We'll never share your info without your permission. Sign up with email or if you are already a member, login here Bonus: Also get 6 free financial modeling lessons for free ($200+ value) when you register!
  • FinalRoundPrep's picture