Anyone heard anything about Maxim Group IB?

So, I'm deciding between PWM at UBS or Merrill vs. IB at Maxim Group. I've been told PWM is usually bullshit - but I'm wondering whether the name will be more important than the "experience." I am a Sophomore, go to target school, decent GPA, etc... if anyone has heard of Maxim Group and can give me some advice on this, hit me up.

What is it Like Working at Maxim Group?

Maxim is a small middle market investment banking shop. They don’t pay as well as other firms, but it is an opportunity to get investment banking experience. WSO members shared their insight:

From Certified Corporate Development Professional – Manager @adapt or die"

• I would prob take the IB gig at Maxim rather than go PWM, it would probably help you land a IB MM/BB next summer

From Certified Investment Banking Professional – Vice President @Bullet-Tooth Tony"

• They are an average MM shop IMO
  • Most of their deals are public offerings or placements, where they piggyback
  • The lead arranger/underwriter transactions are very small, as are most of the M&A deals
  • Still, seems like they have some deal flow
  • Has lots of MDs/SVPs/C-Suite though, meaning less comp for the lower guys

From Certified Asset Management Professional – 1st Year Associate @Angelus99"

In some circumstances its actually a pure cold calling firm but they are involved in a lot of big deals that MSSB is involved in.

Recommended Reading

Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?

The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.

IB Interview Course

..yeah it probably will help u land a spot a MM given that you network ur ass. but maxim for full time is shitty unless u want to spend ur time doing reg 144A transactions and bs ipos and get paid $10 an hour.

its the classic boutique vs brand name argument

------------ I'm making it up as I go along.

They are an average MM shop IMO. Most of their deals are public offerings or placements, where they piggyback. The lead arranger/underwriter transactions are very small, as are most of the M&A deals. Still, seems like they have some deal flow.

Another group that has lots of MDs/SVPs/C-Suite though. Meaning less comp for the lower guys.

DontMakeMeShortYou:
You're kiiiind of going about this the wrong way. People on this forum usually:
  1. Ask a question / ask for advice

2. Read responses / comment / ask further questions

3. Make a decision

You're going 3, 1 and, presumably, 2. You already made your choices. Nothing we say will change them.

I see your point, I was in the running with other firms and eventually lost out to other candidates. Things turned into Maxim or summer classes. I'm not asking you to change my choices, just asking if anyone had any insight into the firm today and their internship program.

GoodBread:
I'm pretty sure Barry Ritholtz used to work for them. If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is. Of course, the experience will be what you make of it.

I looked up some things about him and besides him being a macro guy, a market bear, and writing a book about the crash (this can't be all that bad though cause we all love Michael Lewis) there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with the guy to reflect on a firm.

GoodBread:
Ritholtz's blog is absolutely top-notch. I was just implying that a shop he used to work at is probably a decent place.

Oh ok sorry for some reason my mind read your previous post as sarcastic, sorry about that. Thanks for the info.

Voluptatem ipsum ad culpa libero aliquid cumque rerum. Nulla qui rem quisquam esse illo. Velit sed dolore corporis non aspernatur. Earum consequuntur nemo autem et est. Ullam nemo quae et possimus tempora est. Et laudantium nobis tempora alias consectetur. Quia excepturi sed rerum nostrum id laborum.

Beast

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”