Bonus Bananas November 1, 2013

1) Man buys $27 of bitcoin, forgets about them, finds they're now worth $886k (The Guardian) - Hands down the best story I read all week.

2) Sally Dawson, Deutsche Bank Debt Saleswoman, Dies at 39 (Bloomberg) - Incredibly sad, and all the more poignant because she passed in October, which is widely recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Our thoughts go out to her family and friends.

3) Would You Cheat to Make More Money? (Men's Health) - The human ability to rationalize virtually any behavior never ceases to amaze me. Despite protestations to the contrary, most people would revert to cheating as soon as they perceive an unfair advantage benefiting someone else. I've seen it happen over and over again, and the cheaters never even think what they're doing is wrong.

4) Despite Delivering ‘Excellent’ Service, Waiter Receives Anti-Gay Note Instead Of Tip From Patrons (Elite Daily) - Some people really do need to die in a fire.

5) Tesla's Huge Battery Deal Suggests Sales Could Quintuple Within 4 Years (Forbes) - This one made the list because I'm long TSLA, Patrick's short TSLA, and...well...I'm a dick.

6) Startup sets sights on rapid transit Hyperloop prototype by 2015 (NBC News) - Speaking of Musk, his Hyperloop idea might be coming to market sooner than anyone expected. Hyperloop Transportation Technologies published this timeline for the prototype rollout and, while it appears really ambitious, you won't find me betting against them.

7) Scientists Prove God Exists? German Scientists Say They Have (Epoch Times) - So if I'm understanding this correctly, these guys essentially converted Anselm's ontological argument (through Godel's derivation thereof) to a mathematical proof which a Macbook validated in a couple minutes, thereby proving the existence of God. So live your heathen lives accordingly. I'll be at the bar.

8) Warning: Your Sriracha Supply Is in Serious Jeopardy (The Atlantic Cities) - A world without Rooster Sauce is a world I'm not interested in living in. I guess this explains why they make Tabasco Sauce on Avery Island, though.

9) Former Brazilian footballer's head left on his doorstep (CNN) - This is some next level shit right here. Brazil better get a handle on this stuff or things are gonna go sideways with the International Olympic Committee quick.

10) Michael Jordan Allegedly Opted Out of a 1-on-1 Game Against Bryon Russell (Bleacher Report) - There's no love lost between these two, so I suppose it's possible that Russell is just talking shit, but how bad would it suck to think that MJ basically bitched out?

Video of the Week:

I like Russell Brand more and more every time I see him interviewed. In the following video he absolutely shuts down Jeremy Paxman on the subject of Brand's editing a political magazine. I think he makes some great points, especially the point about refusing the vote. It's always fun to watch a member of the establishment try to get his head around a paradigm that doesn't fit his rigid world view, and Paxman doesn't disappoint. Enjoy:

That's it for this week, fellas. Let me know what you think about this week's Bananas in the comments, and have an incredible weekend.

5) Something I read about TSLA on a forum that seemed to make sense to me. Feel free to poke holes as I am not a markets guy

I finally took a look at TSLA's Q1 2013 10-Q. I'm bullish on TSLA for the long-term, but think it's way overvalued today. Here are some things to note about it reaching profitability after 10 years of operating. Revenues included "higher sales of regulatory credits including $67.9 million in zero emission credit sales." Excluding these, gross margin drops from 17% to 5%, which could make a big distinction if you are concerned about the margins on selling cars only. Net income saw a huge boost from Other Income totaling $17.1 million, which included a reduction in a warrant liability and favorable foreign currency impacts. Here's the specific language: Other income, net, during the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $17.1 million, an increase in income compared to other expense, net, of $1.1 million during the three months ended March 31, 2012. The increase in other income, net, was primarily due to the reduction in fair value of our DOE common stock warrant liability of $10.7 million during the three months ended March 31, 2013. In March 2013, we entered into a fourth amendment to the DOE Loan Facility which, among other things, accelerated the maturity date of our DOE loans to December 15, 2017; therefore, the DOE warrant is no longer expected to vest. The increase in other income was also attributable to a favorable foreign currency exchange impact from our foreign currency-denominated liabilities, especially related to the Japanese yen. So, TSLA didn't achieve profitability from selling cars. They had an operating loss. Without selling zero emission credits, TSLA's margins were horrible and profitability negative. Without "Other Income" related to liability write downs and foreign currency gains, TSLA's operating cash flow would still be negative. Just some things to think about.

10) Michael Jordan is a fucking asshat. Nothing surprising here.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Regarding number 7

The theorem says that God, or a supreme being, is that for which no greater can be conceived. God exists in the understanding. If God exists in the understanding, we could imagine Him to be greater by existing in reality. Therefore, God must exist.

Just because you can imagine something doesn't necessarily mean that thing 'exists'. Am I missing something here? I assume "existence" to be a state independent of the subject, so therefore it doesn't follow that God 'exists' in the understanding, since that understanding is through the perspective of an individual subject. Take that Macbook?

Best Response
Going Concern:

Regarding number 7

The theorem says that God, or a supreme being, is that for which no greater can be conceived. God exists in the understanding. If God exists in the understanding, we could imagine Him to be greater by existing in reality. Therefore, God must exist.

Just because you can imagine something doesn't necessarily mean that thing 'exists'. Am I missing something here? I assume "existence" to be a state independent of the subject, so therefore it doesn't follow that God 'exists' in the understanding, since that understanding is through the perspective of an individual subject. Take that Macbook?

Here is my take:

1. The definition above of God is that no greater can be conceived.

2. He exists in the understanding, so therefore no greater can be conceived, by definition above.

3. we could imagine him to be greater does not follow. How can we imagine him to be greater when from #2 no greater can be conceived?

Proof is logically inconsistent.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Cruncharoo:

Regarding number 7

Here is my take:

1. The definition above of God is that no greater can be conceived.

2. He exists in the understanding, so therefore no greater can be conceived, by definition above.

3. we could imagine him to be greater does not follow. How can we imagine him to be greater when from #2 no greater can be conceived?

Proof is logically inconsistent.

Interesting, good point...per your argument, the proof almost implies that the 'God existing in understanding' precedes the 'conceiving' of God.

Going Concern:

Regarding number 7

Just because you can imagine something doesn't necessarily mean that thing exists. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, I remember studying the theorem back in high school, and it basically falls flat on its face because just because you can imagine something doesnt mean that it exists or could even possibly exist. Replace the word god with "unicorn" in the theory, and it highlights how ridiculous the theory is.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

haha, that Russell brand video is like watching Fight Club but everyone's wearing frilly scarves.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

Arguments about the existence of God are best left to people tripping on acid. They will "see" God but most of them are atheists so watching their heads explode will be great entertainment for the rest of us.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Russell Brand is struggling to enunciate the following: "The party system is run for the benefit of those running the parties, not the citizens. Therefore, we must pressure them from outside the formal system. So of course I don't want to vote for the people I see as not having the best thing at heart, I'm just pushing them from a place outside their comfort zone." I give him a lot of credit for speaking up, even if it is just a publicity thing. I don't think it is though, and he's been reasoning down this path for a few years now. He's moving through the "Bill Hicks" phase very quickly and shaping up to become the British counterpart of Bill Maher or Dennis Miller (take your pick of ideological leaning).

RE #4 - why hasn't someone torched the Westboro crowd yet? It's not like it would be difficult. The First Amendment allows you to say what you want and protects you from the gov't, but nothing's stopping some random person from smoking these douches. It's not like there's a shortage of guns in Texas. Not advocating violence, just pointing out the obvious.

RE #2 - wasn't this concept illustrated in a study of monkeys that you posted a while ago? The same study that shows a built in tendancy of female monkeys to exchange sex for food/favors, and the tendancy of monkeys to play by the rules as long as they think they are being fairly enforced?

Get busy living

Russell Brand is the modern day Che. Charismatic and believes everything he says, but is an absolute communist loon whose ideas will destroy everything they touch and then he will say 'but at least we are starving together'.

Even if you can agree with point on the two party system, he isn't really angry at the two party system, he's angry that everyone doesn't do what he says. He's angry that they don't tax 'rich' people at 99%, or that the entire country isn't run on green rainbow power. He knows nothing of basic science or the immutable laws of economics----such 'trivial' things mean nothing to his vision of GLOBAL HUMAN EQUALITY where all opinions and views are accepted except those that disagree with him.

"Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

It took me a few minutes, at first glance the theorem didn't seem to make sense, but breaking it down you can see why it does hold.

1. God or supreme being is that for which no greater can be concieved (we think of the greatest thing we can, and according to this theorem, that is the definition of God)
  2. God exists in the understanding
  3. Since God exists in the understanding AND since the greatest thing we can think of is something that must exist in reality (otherwise it's not really that great), then it follows that God must exist.

globalmacro:

It took me a few minutes, at first glance the theorem didn't seem to make sense, but breaking it down you can see why it does hold.

1. God or supreme being is that for which no greater can be concieved (we think of the greatest thing we can, and according to this theorem, that is the definition of God)
2. God exists in the understanding
3. Since God exists in the understanding AND since the greatest thing we can think of is something that must exist in reality (otherwise it's not really that great), then it follows that God must exist.

This doesn't really break much down, more just restates the original argument without considering its deficiencies.

Let me try to illustrate visually:

Another problem arises. Think of the concept of infinity or just the summation of 1+1+1+...+N. The greatest thing is impossible, according to infinity there is always going to something that is "1" greater than the "greatest thing". This could repeat forever.

Also its like that old Simpsons quote, "Can Jesus create a boulder so large that he, himself, cannot move it?"

@"Edmundo Braverman" fails to mention I bought long dated puts in order to "short" TSLA when the stock was at ~$174 -- so far I'm in the right, but only time will tell...I'm holding on until it hits $120/share (unless it drops like a rock on some bad earnings -- which I see is 50/50 -- then I may hold until closer to $100/share).

I also agree TSLA will be a long term success, the bubble just needs to pop a bit ($80/share or lower) before it can start to climb again.

...hope you got out of those AAPL puts when you could... ;-)

The fallacy in the God argument is that just because you think of something than it must exist. When you account for Newtons laws the fact that energy can not be created or destroyed we must exist in an infinite loop of creation, destruction and recreation. I can think that a large pizza is in front of me right now but it isn't. At least not until I make it so. Therefore people believe God exists there for they make him exist by thinking that he exists. You had to create God in your own mind in order for him to exist. God doesn't exist with out the capability to have creativity.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quaerat impedit id minus nesciunt maxime. Soluta nihil eligendi eum modi tempore. Commodi est et libero aspernatur qui ipsa voluptas. Aliquam perferendis perferendis occaecati voluptatibus in non. Eius dolores cupiditate expedita. Incidunt perferendis maiores repudiandae. Sint et voluptatum sapiente aut.

Occaecati tempore et harum quia et. Sed vero quibusdam eaque velit sed. Sed ea fugiat fuga qui quod eaque harum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (93) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (149) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”