Canada SA 2013

Hey everybody,
I know there are a dew Canadians here and I wanted to create a thread so we can track how SA recruiting is progressing. Here are the deadlines I know of:

S&T: Deadlines
CIBC S&T: Jan 3rd
BMO S&T: Jan 7th
TD S&T: Jan 7th
RBC S&T: Jan 9th
Scotiabank S&T: Jan 9th

IBD: Deadlines
Scotiabank IBD: Jan 9th
RBC IBD: Jan 8th
TD IBD: Jan 7th
CIBC IBD: Jan 7th

Here are all the dates I have.
Has anybody heard back from any of the banks?
Do you know if first rounds have already taken place?

Cheers!

Region

blueskye:
So basically since I didn't hear from anyone for IBD SA this week then I've likely been dinged in all of them? Unbelievable...
Same here but for S&T... Can't believe that I didn't get a single interview... But I guess you only need one!

Honestly I think it depends on the firm. Last year I interviewed at CIBC and didnt get a rejection email back. On top of that they were two hours late for the interview in the first place.

Finally decided to join.

Anyways, I had my first round interview on Monday afternoon at RBC Plaza. They said at the end of the interview that I should hear back from them next week and that Superday was on Friday. They also said that Superday lasts for 1 hr 30 mins to 2 hours.

Low and behold I didnt get a call today and I know somebody who did so I am guessing I wasnt good enough. To those who also applied good luck.

Powa23:
Is this for IBD or S&T? Ah I wish they just notify us when we're rejected rather than making us wait.
Personally, my interview was for IBD, Lol i was so busy with co-op and considered RBC IBD boom or bust. Didnt bother applying to the rest. Shouldve considered Merrill Lynch though

how did you all feel about your interviews though?

when you get rejected it always makes you wonder how talented the successful applicants are during their interviews

Got my RBC IB reject call today. Basically I was told that I did very well presenting myself and thinking through questions but my DCF valuation answer wasnt as in depth as those at targets and he said this was a trend he noticed with McMaster students. Note to all my highschoolers surveying...DO NOT GO TO MAC.

It is a shame that a ignorant decision made at age 17 can have such a large impact on your life. Transferring to Queens or Ivey next year hopefully.

Did you actually study the guides, text books on M&A and valuations and read every source out there? Did you meet alumni and get mock interviews? No? Then I'm afraid you're to blame McMaster is a shit school where dreams go to die, I agree. However, I know a few who got into banking from Mac over the years, including one last summer, and they all hustled real hard and took things into their own hands. Moving to Ivey is not a bad idea, and you should probably do it. But remember that at the end of the day, you should have and could have hustled harder.

For instance based on what I see in the forums about how to answer the DCF well I would say my answer was more than definitely enough if not more. Shit maybe its cause I'm black lol.

Then again when they asked a follow up question about switching that to equity valuation or something i kinda fumbled. So maybe thats what they meant. shrug It's over ...until next time.

Best Response

I don't know him personally, but I know of him. I'm sure he would be able to tell you better than I would since he is from your school. Did you contact him? Big mistake if you didn't. A great answer would be descriptive and would start with the assumptions ->financial projections including NWC items->calculate unlevered FCF, 5 years (insert FCF formula) - > calculate terminal value using either multiples method or gordon growth method and mention both and how to do this -> calculate WACC and find the NPV of both iterms and that's your EV. To get Equity value you merely Take EV, add back cash and take out debt.

CNB90:
I don't know him personally, but I know of him. I'm sure he would be able to tell you better than I would since he is from your school. Did you contact him? Big mistake if you didn't. A great answer would be descriptive and would start with the assumptions ->financial projections including NWC items->calculate unlevered FCF, 5 years (insert FCF formula) - > calculate terminal value using either multiples method or gordon growth method and mention both and how to do this -> calculate WACC and find the NPV of both iterms and that's your EV. To get Equity value you merely Take EV, add back cash and take out debt.
you got it. i answered the DCF by saying exactly that. and adding a little more. but the Equity value question I didnt understand at first. Overall it was a good experience.

As far as Ivey or Queens is concerned I still prefer to transfer even though I'd enter my last year. The thing with Mac i feel is that the school's career services wont do anything for you to be sucessful not in Finance specifically but in general. I want to go to Ivey or queens because they have a lot more breadth. If you dont make IB, perhaps you can fall amongst the stars and still go for some Corp Finance roles, Consulting or even Investment Mgmt you know? It's not strictly boom or bust.

Prospective monkey here who will be going through the process next year. Do you guys mind sharing what type of GPA/Experience that Canadians should aim for to be a competitive applicants (to get interviews)?

I've seen numerous amount of posts and know what gpa and ec to have in general, but I am just curious what canadian banks' standards are. Thanks!

Veniam maiores doloribus sint amet et quisquam. Alias cupiditate quas id omnis sint ut omnis. Explicabo rerum mollitia consequatur nisi autem ut.

Distinctio animi ipsam fugit exercitationem velit. Libero illo quo et id sunt. Ipsa eaque sunt et et sunt vel sit. Sint dolore blanditiis ducimus iste rerum aut. Sed provident consequatur aspernatur enim ut ab. Magnam placeat est velit veniam consequuntur quia voluptas.

Quos dolor repellendus autem explicabo ut aut ut. Quos ipsum sed ullam consequatur amet dolores ea. Molestiae debitis libero enim amet non distinctio id. Impedit distinctio sapiente repudiandae iusto cumque.

Et ut autem perferendis omnis commodi quo ut. Adipisci perspiciatis explicabo aut beatae. Temporibus assumenda qui ab doloremque facilis tenetur. Ad repudiandae dolor id ratione omnis. Vel harum praesentium voluptatibus ab facilis. Non perspiciatis vero similique et. Et consequatur rerum ut deleniti.

Quibusdam omnis sapiente odio nemo animi. Aut distinctio consequuntur et rerum ad rerum.

Necessitatibus dolores iure numquam excepturi et eum dolorum autem. Vel sint sunt sit corrupti rerum ut eligendi deserunt. Blanditiis et qui adipisci eius laudantium. Cum nulla necessitatibus recusandae vel dolore sequi sunt.

Voluptate aspernatur totam eos qui ipsam sint non. Quis hic odio atque aperiam aut soluta. Recusandae odio laborum debitis aspernatur molestiae. Ipsa at delectus assumenda expedita nesciunt voluptatum est. Numquam excepturi est voluptate sit culpa nam placeat.

Nulla accusantium dolorem quaerat doloremque voluptatum qui modi. Nemo consequatur ab corrupti qui qui voluptatum.

Porro omnis numquam provident sapiente. Quia quibusdam a doloribus autem nam et. Minus ut et voluptatem occaecati ratione delectus numquam.

Earum porro minima quisquam sequi. Eius at eveniet nostrum hic quia ut labore. Ullam dolore nobis enim velit.

Nostrum sunt voluptatem atque quae. Adipisci ea iusto autem sunt distinctio. Cumque ea nam esse possimus occaecati facilis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”