NYC SA Recruiting 2012-2013

Couldn't find a thread like this (besides the HK/Sing one), but thought it would be good for people to know what stage in the process most of the banks are in. Post updates as you hear back from various BBs and the main boutiques/MM firms in terms of 1st round interviews, superdays, etc. This is for non OCR and also non-accelerated processes, so just the general application process timing. Post if you have any updates.

Morgan Stanley- Superdays
JPM- Superdays
Deutsche Bank- 1st rounds
Credit Suisse- 1st rounds
Goldman Sachs- Superdays
BAML- Superdays/2nd rounds
Barclays- Superdays
Citi- super day Feb 8
UBS- 1st rounds out
RBS- 1st rounds out (Feb 1, 5) superday Feb 15 scheduled
RBC- Superdays
Lazard- 1st rounds out
Evercore- 1st rounds
Greenhill- 1st rounds out
Perella Weinberg- 1st rounds
Moelis- Superdays
Jefferies- Superdays
KBW- Super- Done
Sandler O'Neill- Done
Houlihan Lokey- 1st rounds
Brown Brothers Harriman- Done
Piper Jaffray- Done
Blackstone- Superdays
Centerview Partners- 1st rounds out
Lazard MM- Done
Gleacher- Superdays
Cowen- 1st rounds being sent out
Wells Fargo-Done
HSBC- first rounds out
Rothschild- Done
Oppenheimer- 1st rounds being sent out
Nomura- 1st rounds
Macquarie- 1st rounds
BMO- 1st rounds
Miller Buckfire- 1st rounds
Peter Solomon- Pending
Imperial Capital- Pending
CIBC- Pending
BNP Paribas- Pending
TD Securities- 1st rounds
Duff & Phelps- Pending
Canaccord- Pending
BBT- Pending
Cantor Fitzgerald- Pending
Wedbush- Pending
Needham- Pending
JMP Group- 1st rounds ou
Sagent- Done
Stifel- 1st rounds out

Deadlines for referral? Not sure what that means/have not heard of that.

On another note:

Lazard MM begins it's recruiting process after the holidays (potentially actual Lazard as well?)

Evercore will begin their process with first round interviews in early January

Moelis will kick off their process in the next few weeks, though possibly not until beginning of January

Question if anyone can answer-

The Nomura app has a section where it says- do you know anyone at the firm? It also has a separate "how did you hear about us" where employee referral is an option. I emailed last spring a guy in their London office, and I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to put him under the first section and just say he is an alum from my school. I would probably email him either way to let him know I applied/set up a chance to speak with him

If you still keep in contact with him, then yes

Black Jack:
Question if anyone can answer-

The Nomura app has a section where it says- do you know anyone at the firm? It also has a separate "how did you hear about us" where employee referral is an option. I emailed last spring a guy in their London office, and I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to put him under the first section and just say he is an alum from my school. I would probably email him either way to let him know I applied/set up a chance to speak with him

The Wells deadline was for S&T only. At least that's how it was at my school. They told us if we applied online to their website, rather than through OCR, we'd be auto-screened. But if this is for non-OCR than that makes sense

"You rarely have time for everything you want in this life, so you need to make choices. And hopefully your choices can come from a deep sense of who you are." - Mister Rogers

couchy:
imperial capital, lincoln international, CIBC, TD, Canaccord, Needham, BNP, cantor fitzgerald, Duff & Phelps, Ray Jay, Wedbush, Stephens, BBT, Suntrust, Lazard MM are pretty good bank to add...

Will add, though Lazard MM is on there and Lincoln has a tiny NY presence and Suntrust has like no NYC presence. Anyone know if Nomura prompts everyone for the online reasoning/logic tests?

MinneBanker:
Black Jack,

What was the Nomura test like?

2 parts

Part 1- Standard online math/logic tests- reading percentages, graphs, tables, charts, etc. 20 questions 20 mins; a little time pressed but not bad

Part 2- Picture analogies. Gives you a sequence of pictures and asks you to say which would be next. 22 questions in 10 minutes I think. These can be fairly tough (kind of a either you see it or don't sort of thing). Unsure how much stock they even put into these tests. I imagine if you have a referral they look to make sure that you are competent and passed them.

Mark2010:
Most BB's are kicking off first rounds at targets second week of Jan...with non-target recruiting early Feb

FYI GS non-target recruiting is happening alongside OCR

Don't believe that this is true. Haven't heard of different time schedules for non-targets vs. targets- everything should be kicking off with first rounds in the first 2 weeks of January and superdays the last 2 weeks of the month (and beginning week of Feb).

Black Jack:
Mark2010:
Most BB's are kicking off first rounds at targets second week of Jan...with non-target recruiting early Feb

FYI GS non-target recruiting is happening alongside OCR

Don't believe that this is true. Haven't heard of different time schedules for non-targets vs. targets- everything should be kicking off with first rounds in the first 2 weeks of January and superdays the last 2 weeks of the month (and beginning week of Feb).

You're talking to the wrong people

Bump- has anyone heard anything from any of these places?

I've managed to get some sort of decent referral at most of them, so I should be able to keep this as updated as possible, though who knows how strong those will be and any help is still appreciated; didn't apply to the bottom 10-15 on the list.

Edit: Saw someone recently added a Lazard MM review for 2012 SA- I'm thinking that was from last year, as I'd been told by an MD at the firm that they would start the process after the holidays- if anyone knows anything though, let me know.

couchy:
does that mean apps are clsoed for Jefferies?

I haven't checked, but I wouldn't assume so. Some of these places don't close apps online until like March (but fill up all spots months earlier).

Jefferies looks like it is still up upon checking; that said, I would turn it in asap. They still have openings online for European interns, but I know that that has already been wrapped up.

TheBlueCheese:
theboi123 - you sure BAML 1st rounds are out? Are you at a target? Perhaps I'm wrong but I doubt any banks have been sending emails for first rounders Dec ~25th - Jan 1st...

I am not a target, but I would assume non-targets would receive their interviews after targets. I actually heard on December 17th. However, I have not received a date. We are supposed to get a specific date by the 4th.

As for Citi, the superday is on the 18th of January.

theboi123:
TheBlueCheese:
theboi123 - you sure BAML 1st rounds are out? Are you at a target? Perhaps I'm wrong but I doubt any banks have been sending emails for first rounders Dec ~25th - Jan 1st...

I am not a target, but I would assume non-targets would receive their interviews after targets. I actually heard on December 17th. However, I have not received a date. We are supposed to get a specific date by the 4th.

As for Citi, the superday is on the 18th of January.

And are invites out for the Citi superday?

xoxonino:
Mtntop990:
Can anyone confirm status changed to "under review" at GS?
My status is still application received - is that not a good sign?

I got an e-mail for a first round from GS today but online it still says application received so I'm not sure it's connected!

Black Jack:
A Fellow Linguist:
Does anybody know if Oppenheimer takes any SAs, and if so, how to submit an application to join their firm?

They definitely do take a handful (same as most other banks their size maybe 10-12). Unfortunately they are not accepting applications online, and their drop through referral is over.

Thanks, Black Jack. You're a good guy for keeping this thread updated. I'll be sure to chime in if I hear anything, although I'm mostly going through OCR.

kidflash:
Black Jack:
Cowen and Qatalyst are both closed

Believe Evercore and Moelis are as well, but I won't update until I get confirmation (you may still be able to apply, but they are beginning interviews first week of Jan)

evercore definitely isn't closed. my target has resume drops next week.

FYI- this thread is for non OCR. A lot of banks will close for non-targets (non ocr recruiting) well before they do their OCR (which they hold spots for). Robert Baird for example finished non-core recruiting in November but recruits OCR at a few schools in January.

TheBlueCheese:
Black Jack do you have friends at all these places? Have you heard from anywhere personally? Mind giving us a brief intro on your background? (non-target? ~GPA, etc...)

I go to what I guess would be considered a target or semi-target and my GPA is around 3.7- some have higher, some have lower. Everything I have updated (besides what others have posted) has been personal information I have received through some contact or another at the bank. Where there weren't alums at the banks I tried (and sometimes failed) to cold call the bank and ask to speak with those in charge of recruiting for SA or email someone at the bank from a similar background/school as myself. Came into the recruiting season with the attitude that there was no reason to not get at least a first round interview at most everywhere- which can be done with decent stats from a solid school by just getting someone to refer you to HR. Was unsuccessful in these attempts at a few places, which others have fortunately kept updated for me- Citi, BAML, HSBC, Piper Jaffray were some of a few that I had to apply straight through the online app and cross my fingers. Nonetheless, I'm still on the job hunt like the rest of you, so whether I had a good strategy remains to be seen.

Black Jack:
TheBlueCheese:
Black Jack do you have friends at all these places? Have you heard from anywhere personally? Mind giving us a brief intro on your background? (non-target? ~GPA, etc...)

I go to what I guess would be considered a target or semi-target and my GPA is around 3.7- some have higher, some have lower. Everything I have updated (besides what others have posted) has been personal information I have received through some contact or another at the bank. Where there weren't alums at the banks I tried (and sometimes failed) to cold call the bank and ask to speak with those in charge of recruiting for SA or email someone at the bank from a similar background/school as myself. Came into the recruiting season with the attitude that there was no reason to not get at least a first round interview at most everywhere- which can be done with decent stats from a solid school by just getting someone to refer you to HR. Was unsuccessful in these attempts at a few places, which others have fortunately kept updated for me- Citi, BAML, HSBC, Piper Jaffray were some of a few that I had to apply straight through the online app and cross my fingers. Nonetheless, I'm still on the job hunt like the rest of you, so whether I had a good strategy remains to be seen.

Best of luck man! Do post in success stories when you get though this.

Black Jack:
TheBlueCheese:

Best of luck man! Do post in success stories when you get though this.

MinneBanker:
Lincoln told me that they are exclusively hiring from targets...so yeah. I guess that would count as drop ended?

I didn't put Lincoln on here since most of it is for their Chicago office. As for that- don't worry about it; I did an interview with them as well and was told the exact same thing. The interviewer was pretty sympathetic really stressed that I should apply for the full time position in the fall because they have more spots then and can take non-core kids. It's rough, but just is what it is I guess.

couchy:
anyone know if raymond james, william blair, KBW, or brown brothers are still accepting summer analyst apps?

I have no info on Raymond James BBH is closed (finished accepting last week I believe or earlier in December)

KBW and Blair seem to be running very informal processes this year- they have definitely already done first round interviews for many candidates, but it might be on a sort of 'rolling basis' in that if you have the right people see your resume/application now it won't be too late to still get into the process.

MinneBanker:
Ok, i figured. My school doesn't have any alumni (wtf?) at WB, and I emailed HR and was told to "apply via OCR" that didn't exist so I guess cold calling it is...

I think you should have time. Their OCR hasn't taken place yet, and they told me the super day would be mid/late January, so if they are interested there would surely be time to squeeze in a quick phone interview.

couchy:
My guess is most of these banks have closed apps for non-targets (unofficially) and are just leaving the online portal for target students with OCR...

This is very true. Some of these places will leave the online postings up until much much later (sometimes as late as mid-feb or even early March), but this is for target OCR students.

Pienaar21:
Pienaar21:
Are applications for Citi completely closed??

If anyone can answer this I would really, really appreciate it..

Just checked for you and it looks like the positions are still online, so you should be able to apply for a bit.

Whether they are still looking at resumes dropped by non-targets online is another story.

If you are super interested though, you should go check on their site.

Does anyone know if William Blair has started recruiting yet? I don't see a posting on their website (HR is unhelpful and refers me to website.)

Does that mean their process is just later?

*edit: Contacted HR and they said they are hiring from their targets (OCR) only....so nevermind!

MinneBanker:
Does anyone know if William Blair has started recruiting yet? I don't see a posting on their website (HR is unhelpful and refers me to website.)

Does that mean their process is just later?

*edit: Contacted HR and they said they are hiring from their targets (OCR) only....so nevermind!

I interviewed them (not a target there) back in December, and they said similar things. Basically said they might take 16 kids for the summer and 12 spots were for target schools. Had some pretty high up referrals, so I'm hoping to move on to their super day later in the month, but who knows, crossing my fingers.

I didn't put it on here because IB operations are mostly out of Atlanta/down south, but for anyone who is interested, STRH is almost exclusively recruiting from their core schools (mainly the southern targets). I was referred by a very senior person at the firm in the division and told to reach back out in March to see if they were looking to fill any other spots.

Black Jack:
I didn't put it on here because IB operations are mostly out of Atlanta/down south, but for anyone who is interested, STRH is almost exclusively recruiting from their core schools (mainly the southern targets). I was referred by a very senior person at the firm in the division and told to reach back out in March to see if they were looking to fill any other spots.

yea it's going to be extra tough for non-targets this year. seems like most firms aren't looking to hire outside of their target school lists.

MinneBanker:
I am a semi-target. no email :( I am assuming that email = good thing

Who knows- I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just one bank, and even if it doesn't work out there will be others.

For all you guys in the recruiting process, best of luck. For all the places you apply and all the rejections you might get, it only takes 1 offer- easy to forget.

JamesHetfield:
Pending means they still have to put up the opening on their website right?

No- pending means they are either still collecting resumes/applications or just that first rounds have not been announced. I'm sure for some of those that they are past that stage but that nobody on here has been notified (for the smaller shops)

jcas5585:
BlackJack, just to keep you updated on a few of the smaller banks- I was notified this week by both Oppenheimer and Cowen about 1st round interviews, so I'm assuming all 1st round interview notifications are out for those two firms

Thanks for the update. Oppenheimer I believe is doing 1st rounds on a rolling basis, so I don't think that is fully closed yet. I will update Cowen, though I believe that may be rolling as well.

On another note- Centerview 1st rounds are out.

Finally contacted by a recruiter from Citi for a phone interview after an MD that I met at an event last month connected us. Applied in late November for Summer Associate position but checked my status on their recruitment page and it still says that my application has been received and under consideration.

Will update you guys after I speak with the recruiter.

Are those deadlines only for NYC offices for those companies or just the overall deadlines for online applications?

I went to a UChicago JP Morgan meeting on Jan 10th and got a sheet saying that the deadline is Jan 11th for IBD, S&T and Public Finance. So I am not sure if the deadline is for Chicago only or any application online. Does anybody know how that works?

Beny23:
Are those deadlines only for NYC offices for those companies or just the overall deadlines for online applications?

I went to a UChicago JP Morgan meeting on Jan 10th and got a sheet saying that the deadline is Jan 11th for IBD, S&T and Public Finance. So I am not sure if the deadline is for Chicago only or any application online. Does anybody know how that works?

I'd say its for UChicago's OCR. So if you go to UChicago, those are the deadline dates. Otherwise, its another date, which I'm guessing is the 15th.

Beny23:

The deadlines I have been posting are either for online app or in the case of interviews purely for NYC offices.

Minus doloribus ut culpa sed distinctio atque molestiae. Laudantium aut et facere quod voluptas sapiente ut.

Rem quo facere dolore. Vitae temporibus aut praesentium ad dignissimos ea. Atque culpa dolor omnis et dolorem optio non. Quo eaque a quos doloremque qui sed. Repellat natus ut ut ut sit aut. Ipsum dolore ut libero voluptatibus.

Aut impedit eos architecto tempora sed sunt doloribus. Aperiam praesentium sequi et voluptatem aperiam et totam rerum. Distinctio pariatur iste sed. Quibusdam maxime molestiae magnam vero. Non autem eligendi omnis nostrum velit.

Dolorum perspiciatis alias facere rerum eos. Sit quae deserunt itaque porro. Fugit vitae ducimus et.

Porro blanditiis tempore ducimus molestiae odit necessitatibus. Impedit velit qui saepe ut et ratione iusto.

In doloribus officia non rerum. Dolores consequuntur veritatis est qui et. Laudantium repudiandae quia sint et.

Nihil culpa excepturi aut officiis doloribus veritatis eveniet. Sint ex non pariatur hic quia recusandae distinctio. Suscipit molestiae quod provident facilis.

Ab aut consectetur soluta blanditiis possimus odio omnis blanditiis. Numquam et odit explicabo cupiditate. Voluptas veritatis inventore minus ullam nulla.

Voluptate necessitatibus illum sit sint. Est quos veritatis qui qui sit quaerat. Sed sequi atque unde non voluptatem accusantium. Cumque quia aut in facilis ut delectus sequi velit. Alias minima in velit iure libero aut tenetur.

Optio dolor molestiae voluptatem perferendis totam temporibus. Architecto et quae et est ratione est iste. Nam saepe laborum quia doloremque qui et tempore facere.

Placeat possimus laborum tempora est molestiae dignissimos. Soluta quae odit blanditiis vero eveniet sint mollitia. Iusto voluptates error neque recusandae.

In rerum asperiores occaecati minus facere. Qui aut nisi velit ipsum. Reiciendis magni et enim autem. Veritatis enim molestiae voluptatem sint nostrum fugit. Corporis quae ut aut ratione. Culpa ipsa minima explicabo veniam.

Doloribus nisi in quasi quis sit odio eveniet. Ut reiciendis id enim fuga. Corrupti impedit culpa sed repellat sint atque labore. Aliquid saepe asperiores cupiditate nesciunt voluptate.

Cum quaerat optio et et reiciendis in. Suscipit quibusdam laudantium autem ipsum commodi nihil eligendi. Autem eius voluptatum voluptas facere dolorem quis ullam. Ipsum in consequuntur recusandae excepturi magnam et modi.

Dolore voluptatem autem et earum. Est rerum cumque a dolor. Cum sed et odio voluptatem. Tempore ea repellat praesentium quibusdam.

Alias tenetur expedita et dolores occaecati quod. Qui consequatur ipsum consequuntur itaque sit expedita. Unde neque molestias iure optio magni sed praesentium qui.

Expedita maxime eos doloribus quidem. Neque placeat hic voluptatibus exercitationem neque sapiente totam ea. Est sed reiciendis voluptatem perspiciatis architecto quis. Voluptates quidem non eaque debitis asperiores. Magni aut ut quisquam provident dolores nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”