Struck Out on IB Summer 2013 Recruiting

To start: I'm a Junior with a 3.8 at a non-target and an internship at an Asset Management firm last semester. I switched from accounting to finance, and it really put me behind on the IB recruiting. Basically, I had a few interviews with 2 boutiques in Charlotte but struck out. Need some help going forward.

I am currently searching for any kind of work this summer but most likely will be taking classes to graduate a semester early. Since I was not able to find any IB SA internships this go around, my plan is to apply to Michigan's MAcc program for the Fall of 2014(with my GPA and 710 gmat score I believe I'll get in). How will recruiters look at my lack of internship this summer if I tell them I chose to take classes instead in order to graduate early?

I will most likely use my open Spring 2014 semester to intern at either an IB or if I strike out again, a Big 4 Accounting firm. With regards to summer 2014, will I be able to apply for IB summer internships again if I'm graduating then going back to school for a masters?

And in a longer term scope, how will FT recruiters look at me as a MAcc student at Michigan? I know Michigan's UG puts some students on Wall Street, but I don't know if I'll be looked at the same.

A few questions in 1, but thanks in advance.

lol That first paragraph describes me to a tee except for me it was Canadian bulges instead of American Boutiques.

Question though, if youre applying to Ross, why not concetrate on Finance as opposed to entering the Macc program?

Look into MFin instead of MAcc, and PM TNA.

From reading his past posts, I get the impression that you're going to have to put a lot of the legwork yourself (i.e. network with your undergrad alumni and the MFin University's alumni even if you're doing your MFin at a 'target' program)

volstreeter:
I'm thinking of retaking the GMAT this summer with the added free time I will have.
Moving from 710 to 730-750 will take a decent amount of time and practice. The question is whether it is really necessary for you to retake GMAT considering that you already got a really good score.

I'd suggest doing accounting. It's obvious that's what you want to do. You're trying to force feed yourself IB, that's why you're striking out. This isn't what you want to hear, but it's obvious from an interviewer's perspective. You started majoring in accounting, then switched to finance. You failed at getting an IB internship, which happens to people. But your alternative route was back to accounting. If you know accounting doesn't get you to where you want to be (read: IB) then why would you even entertain the idea? Once you learn to be brutally honest with yourself, the answers to these questions become more obvious.

volstreeter:
Well the main reason I was interested in a MAcc is because what I've read about MFin's is that they are more geared towards math majors interested in moving into finance and not students with a bachelors in finance.

But if Finance is what you want to do it doesn't matter towards who its more geared towards. If you want to do X, fuck everything else and do X. If you want to do Y, fuck everything else and do Y. The thing is that you need to make up your mind which one you want Finance or Accounting...btw, think from a recruiter's POV

veljones69:
I'd suggest doing accounting. It's obvious that's what you want to do. You're trying to force feed yourself IB, that's why you're striking out. This isn't what you want to hear, but it's obvious from an interviewer's perspective. You started majoring in accounting, then switched to finance. You failed at getting an IB internship, which happens to people. But your alternative route was back to accounting. If you know accounting doesn't get you to where you want to be (read: IB) then why would you even entertain the idea? Once you learn to be brutally honest with yourself, the answers to these questions become more obvious.

I dont see what the problem is with being an accounting concentration. Banks hire IBD analysts with accounting concentrations all the time. A solid understanding of accounting is much better prep for an IBD job than being a finance major. A few finance classes are relevant and helpful (corp finance aka finance 101 as well as the specific/elective type classes that ug BBA programs as good schools offer - investment banking/pe class, valuation/financial modeling, etc.) but most finance majors do not even have the option to take classes such as this as their school does not offer it.

However, trying to break into banking with a Macc is completely different. Here you are doing post-graduate work in accounting which shows an interest in that field. You are able to pick up enough accounting at the UG level to have enough tools to do banking - just needed accounting 101 + intermediate.

If I were you I would focus on getting a relevant job in finance that gives you a transferable skillset and focus on breaking in down the road. That is a MUCH better option than doing Macc and Mfin.

If I were you I would look at jobs in corporate/commercial banking, valuation (duff&phelps/big4), corporate finance FLDP or entry level analyst position. Any of these jobs will give you some overlapping skills and are related to an extent to IBD. The rest will depend on your networking efforts. If you are still not able to break in, apply to solid MBA programs after 2 years and you will have another shot. This approach will give you a much better ROI than going back to school again. If you fail to get what you want from Mfin/Macc you will end up taking a similar job to the one i mentioned above except you will be in a lot more debt and have wasted time.

Best Response

I appreciate the responses. Question on the MFin, another component of my thought process to get a MAcc was that it required no work experience and basically just extended the time I have to build my resume/land an internship another year. Does the top MFin programs take students right out of undergrad or is it more of an MBA where you need to work ~4 years?

I'm going to keep coldcalling boutiques in Charlotte and Atlanta this week, but even if I do get an internship at a small shop, what are my odds of landing a MM/BB FT analyst position right out of undergrad? Would my high GPA/GMAT coupled with a regional boutique internship and lots of networking give me a shot of leveraging myself into some interviews? What if I landed a small boutique this go around and still pursued a MAcc/MFin? I'd have the opportunity to search for Spring internships at other boutiques then maybe pursue some major boutiques for a SA internship the summer before my MAcc/MFin starts?

Just spitballing some ideas to put myself into the best possible bank for my FT analyst position.

volstreeter:
I appreciate the responses. Question on the MFin, another component of my thought process to get a MAcc was that it required no work experience and basically just extended the time I have to build my resume/land an internship another year. Does the top MFin programs take students right out of undergrad or is it more of an MBA where you need to work ~4 years?

I'm going to keep coldcalling boutiques in Charlotte and Atlanta this week, but even if I do get an internship at a small shop, what are my odds of landing a MM/BB FT analyst position right out of undergrad? Would my high GPA/GMAT coupled with a regional boutique internship and lots of networking give me a shot of leveraging myself into some interviews? What if I landed a small boutique this go around and still pursued a MAcc/MFin? I'd have the opportunity to search for Spring internships at other boutiques then maybe pursue some major boutiques for a SA internship the summer before my MAcc/MFin starts?

Just spitballing some ideas to put myself into the best possible bank for my FT analyst position.

It is incredibly tough without being in their SA class. at least 70% of the offers go to them, then it's the ivy kids they try to poach from other banks, then the OCR, then finally non-targets.

People still make it. Hope for a strong M&A, IPO season and network so you can interview when the OCR kids get their chance.

similar position as you.

you are correct in that MSF's give you an extra year to work with. decide now whether you really want to do big 4 or ib/s&t (pe and hf later on). based on that pick masters in accounting or finance.

pm TNA about which msf is best. plenty of threads on it. Princeton and LBS has a 2 year work experience requirement so cross that out. MIT is the next best, but huge on math, and typically need a 750+ GMAT.

columbia i personally feel is overcrowded and expensive. 2 years for mfin in economics, and 1 year for MFin engineering, again math intensive. best bet is UVA.

could try LSE or Oxford Mfin, but again comes down to how well you network...have heard students with problems landing jobs from their, but its a cool study abroad experience. my advice, UVA mfin, or MIT mfin, take it with a grain of salt.

Key with MSF** use it as a year to learn anything and EVERYTHING about finance. once you're in the work force, hard to learn new things while working a job like IB. people who transition to PE or HF from ib, typically already have that in the back of their mind when they graduate...and they've already read up on it. this is where MSF comes in handy, you'll be ahead if you use it right.

One of my friends did the Michigan MAcc. It is possible to get into banking from it, but you have to network your ass off and really be on top of your stuff. Like people said earlier, you have to think from a recruiter/bankers perspective - why would they want to hire you? What makes you different from every other accountant who wants to do finance?

Michigan MAcc also costs a ton, so you'll want to do a cost/benefit analysis vs. your other options.

PM me if you want to know more

Ullam omnis voluptatem deleniti quae error. Harum repellat est ad enim nulla. In id cumque molestiae. Nesciunt consequuntur blanditiis sunt qui sit illum non. Dolore totam temporibus ab consectetur et. Dolores minus dolores qui.

Doloremque error consequatur ducimus labore totam at. Repellendus voluptatem earum qui voluptatem non. Esse soluta tempora voluptates sunt voluptates sint.

Nihil et quia placeat non sunt rerum voluptatem. Provident quia nihil accusantium aperiam quae. Omnis impedit est id nisi voluptatem omnis vel.

Nulla reiciendis reprehenderit cumque asperiores tempora. Atque cupiditate natus voluptatibus consequatur qui rem. Quia eum recusandae vel quod.

Aliquid et inventore tenetur libero neque et ipsa. Porro adipisci omnis dolorem sint qui ducimus sint. Temporibus eum numquam voluptatem qui. Consequuntur nihil molestias sunt non omnis exercitationem laboriosam. Magni reprehenderit similique quod. Sed autem exercitationem at consequatur inventore est vitae unde.

Similique provident ut enim sunt. Sequi quo totam ducimus voluptatem odit accusantium sed. Magnam sequi maxime magni illo et officia. Ab quod eveniet eum modi ipsam expedita omnis. Sit natus sed cupiditate aut expedita aliquam praesentium.

Ipsam error laborum voluptas ut cum. Autem est voluptate excepturi. Omnis enim ducimus quam non repellendus quidem modi dolor. Itaque praesentium totam qui aperiam. Impedit perspiciatis explicabo eum sequi facere. Amet voluptas nostrum aperiam sunt blanditiis. Aliquam enim ut nobis ratione maiores laudantium.

Enim quo voluptatem sit et sed consequatur est consectetur. A ad velit impedit numquam necessitatibus ullam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”