2009 iBanking Analyst Bonuses

Whether or not anyone agrees with this sentiment I don't know, but while we were sitting around the other day eating dinner a couple of associates and analysts I was with were talking about bonus levels for the upcoming year and everyone seemed to feel like 2009 bonuses are going to feel alot more like 2002-2003 from what they were hearing from senior people who were complaining about the lack of deal flow.

First off what are your guy's thoughts on this? Too generous or completely off base?

Also does anyone have any idea what the ranges were for analysts/associates by year during those two years?

Edmundo Braverman:
Let's do the math...

$75,000 base + $20,000 bonus = $95,000 total comp 100 hours per week for 50 weeks = 5,000 hours labor

$95,000/5,000 hours = $19 an hour, or a little less than an apprentice plumber

But you get to say you work on Wall Street!

75,000 base? Where are they paying 75k?

HA..."incentive" for long hours. you don't put in the long hours because you're working for the incentive bonus (that helps govern the quality of your work). you do it because if you're not in the office pulling the long hours, your ass will get shit canned. good luck leaving the office at 9 now that the incentives aren't in your favor...

Nobody works 100 hour weeks consistently. If you want to apply some figure consistently across 50 weeks then try 80-85. It's true that you can't leave the office as you'll get screwed but in general I think people stop giving as much of a shit about everything when they know payout will be low, it's just human nature.

Oconnor:
Nobody works 100 hour weeks consistently. If you want to apply some figure consistently across 50 weeks then try 80-85. It's true that you can't leave the office as you'll get screwed but in general I think people stop giving as much of a shit about everything when they know payout will be low, it's just human nature.

100% true. There will be very brutal stretches for sure, but it isn't like you do it every single week. My worst stretch was probably 8 weeks without a single day off with 5 or 6 of those weeks being 100 hour beat downs. It was pretty brutal, to be honest, but you can will yourself through.

Oconnor:

You little 3rd bucket analyst. You work 80h because you just pitch.

I started in 07 and was on 3-4 live deals at any given time. Hours were peaking at 130+ hours (that's the equivalent of sleeping every two to three days). We were not pitching because there was no capacity. So you could suddenly get a 60h work week once in a while when deals would quiet down. That averages at 100+h a week.

So sh"t up and don't take your miserable banking experience as a reference.

Strange..

I recall a thread a few weeks ago that said the BB raised the base salary for his contract (Summer '09) from 60k to 70k.

Can anyone confirm base raises across the Street?

On first thought, it does not make sense to me why you would raise bases in this economy, but perhaps it is as a means of softening the blow when bonuses are complete shit.

My friend at Goldman S&T who just started this summer got his base bumped to $70K. I got an offer from two BBs and they were both 60K base, and the boutique I got an offer from is 70K.

bkm125:
My friend at Goldman S&T who just started this summer got his base bumped to $70K. I got an offer from two BBs and they were both 60K base, and the boutique I got an offer from is 70K.

I'm assuming the 2 BBs you got offers for were for IBD?

Clueless Wanderer:
bkm125:

I'm assuming the 2 BBs you got offers for were for IBD?

Yeah all the offers are for IBD.

ideating dont be bitter because I made more trading my PA senior year of HS than you do at your current job.

No but in all seriousness good prop guys can easily do 3k-10k a day consistently.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

trade4size:
ideating dont be bitter because I made more trading my PA senior year of HS than you do at your current job.

No but in all seriousness good prop guys can easily do 3k-10k a day consistently.

The only problem is every good prop trader has will go down at some point in time. But even when you go down, you don't lose what you've made, you just get fired.

Best Response
indian-banker:
what's the rationale for this? lower bonuses in the future? will the pay in banking be like the pay in consulting in the near future?
Part of it is to retain talent. They've made a bunch of changes to policies to try and prevent analysts and associates from jumping ship after two years. One of them was higher base. Another is that the analysts get bonuses in December, so instead of getting two full bonuses in the first two years, kids only get 1.5x. If they leave after the 2nd year, they lose out on all of their bonus for the 2nd year. So for example if you started this July, you'll get a stub in December 08, a full bonus Dec 09, and then another if you stay in December 2010. If you leave summer of 2010, you miss out on that 2nd full bonus, which would could be enough incentive to get a few extra people to stay for their 3rd year.

bkm125:
I think it's a stupid move by Goldman. The prestige of the Goldman name isn't THAT vital. I think they'll see more people going elsewhere so they can get paid.

Especially given other shops might not only pay more but have less of a hire and fire culture too.

Better rentention and more money - umm in this climate, what's the downside?

Nam minima ipsum excepturi quasi magnam cupiditate mollitia. Et at vel alias numquam iste rem ut. Dolores sint aut accusamus est magni eum repellendus. Ipsum incidunt fugit repellat tempora laborum voluptates.

Accusamus dolorem et odio quibusdam sint corrupti. Vero aut corrupti animi magnam ipsum. Unde facilis mollitia recusandae quis nemo ea. Voluptatum et ut libero officiis commodi corrupti harum.

Totam dolorum rem in odio non veniam. Qui voluptatem dolorem blanditiis suscipit eligendi voluptatem. Beatae nobis qui adipisci nulla quaerat qui. Aut quis aut autem corporis sed dolorem. Quo impedit commodi ut expedita velit. Quia ut voluptatibus rem et sint omnis.

Similique nihil tempora ut optio eveniet aspernatur quo. Nobis qui totam et quo vitae est dicta ut. Corrupti temporibus ipsa laborum perspiciatis quia quia. Ad dolorum cupiditate eos. Et est libero cum eos quia. Autem accusantium ullam nulla reprehenderit ut non rerum. Possimus error perferendis non reprehenderit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”