2.99 GPA. Should I even bother?

So I'm going to UC Berkeley and just finished my first semester as a junior and I ended up with a 2.99 GPA.

I don't think I can do banking anymore and other internships are asking for a 3.0+. I don't know what I can do. I really want an internship this summer. Can anyone help me, or at least put me in the right direction on how to get an internship?

I have a valid reason for why I did so bad the entire year. I contracted a nasty disease that affected me the entire year. I honestly thought I was going to die during the spring semester and I didn't care at all about school. The disease also set me back a lot during the first month of the fall semester, and I was taking really difficult courses and I just couldn't catch up.
But now I've got the disease under control and I know I can do better for the remainder of my career at school, but I really want an internship during the summer of my junior year... I just need to know how...

I'm looking for any sort of finance internship that could help me in receiving a good job in the future, particularly fortune 100.

Answer this question. How bad do you want it? After you answer that, what you should do will be much clearer to you.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

If you really want it, then go for it. Do you have any idea how many people who didn't sit around cranking out As in college have kick ass jobs? Start networking, be persistent, and something will open up.

....if you really want it

Get busy living

you know that as you rise the totem pole in IBD from analyst to MD the SAT scores get lower..... its cuz brains isnt everything. Just network hard buy a ticket to the WSO conference, talk with some ballers there and get you a gig!

I want a lady on the street, but a freak in the bed, Go Bucks!!

Sexy_Like_Enrique:
it will be uber tough to get interviews with that gpa.. I-banking and consulting are out the window. F500 corp finance or Big4 accounting? maybe

2.99 is still below the cut-off level for most F500/Big4 opportunities, but the OP could definitely land something if he is able to get past the initial screening through networking and leveraging his connections.

Impossible is nothing

EPS:
Sexy_Like_Enrique:
it will be uber tough to get interviews with that gpa.. I-banking and consulting are out the window. F500 corp finance or Big4 accounting? maybe

2.99 is still below the cut-off level for most F500/Big4 opportunities, but the OP could definitely land something if he is able to get past the initial screening through networking and leveraging his connections.

I see. So, I guess GPA only matters for screening purposes? Does someone like OP stand an equal chance of an offer as someone else with 3.7 GPA, as long as OP makes it to first round interview?

Also: I hear that GE FMP program have 3.0 GPA cutoff, so OP could be fine for that program. However, I am not sure if GE is being completely honest with their cutoff and would actually interview kids with 3.0 GPA

one option that OP should strongly consider is grad school.

Also, I know a kid from my high school who went to Princeton and graduated last year with 2.9 GPA in Economics. He's been unemployed for a year now... Shit is rough out there. I think the key thing is, like others said, networking hard and trying to land decent number of first round interviews. Having a low GPA will make it uber hard to land interviews even if you go to Harvard

OP, half of these clowns are still in school, so take what ther're saying with a grain of salt. They're not entirely wrong, but realize that networking will overcome ANY obstacle. Trust me on this.

Get busy living

EPS, that is somewhat true but not really, at my non-target around 15-20 went into IBD this last year 5-6were at BB's, most of them to KeyBank, and some to some other good MM's I infact know a kid who did ER at BB junior year then rejected offer to go into the PE arm of another BB. Mind me this is ALL FO. There are ops majors that are going to some bank OPs but in all honesty that is cuz they like Ops.

Also the screening cutoff for BB is 3.7 for out school. What I dont understand is why are F500 companies cutoffs almost the same as BB's. That honestly makes no sence to me....... Then again networking yourself into a F500 is childs play compared to IBD.

Best Response
Ambition:
EPS, that is somewhat true but not really
All schools are different - I was speaking on behalf of my university and my own experience. When I said "all nontargets and semi-targets," I was referring to the fact that there is little IB recruiting at such places, not that everyone at all nontarget schools gun for Big 4 and CorpFin positions only.
<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/finance/earnings-per-share-eps-formula>EPS</a></span>:
UFOinsider:
OP, half of these clowns are still in school, so take what ther're saying with a grain of salt. They're not entirely wrong, but realize that networking will overcome ANY obstacle. Trust me on this.
if someone like the OP can land an interview by networking and leveraging his contacts (i.e. have someone pulling for him on the inside to get OP's resume past the initial screening), then that interview becomes the most important factor in the hiring process
Exactly. Good luck, OP. Get out there and make some connectiuons.
Impossible is nothing

I tremedously believe in what UFO said,,,,,, this is a game, and for people who arent the best at networking the GPA is the only possible route. For the baller networkers they can get IBD without ever showing their resumes ( maybe they should go to sales).

also just wondering -

if you talk to an MD at a bank and he likes you, can he get you the job, or can he just help you get you the first round interview.

my question is, say that MD you spoke to got you the first round interview. Then, when i go into first round interview, do i stand a better chance of getting an offer compared to others, since MD put in a good word for me and might vouch for me??

Sexy_Like_Enrique:
if you talk to an MD at a bank and he likes you, can he get you the job, or can he just help you get you the first round interview.
They can hire you (as well as fire you) on the spot. At that point, HR gets your fucking paperwork in order. HR is useful, it's just very different going to an actual decision maker.

As for my story, it's all over this freaking site. I put it out there to give hope to people who feel like they don't have a chance...like I once did...but it's still an uphill battle. FWIW, I'm getting more education and hopefully going to a top program for bschool...and yeah, I'll be busting my ass for A's.

Get busy living

Sorry, I haven't responded on Wall Street Oasis in a while. I'm majoring in economics.

Internships and jobs aren't going well... I went to a lot of career fairs, applied to a lot of internships, and did so-so networking; but I haven't received anything.

I thought I was going to get an interview with Wells Fargo SA position but nothing ever came to fruition. An MD forwarded my resume for me, but I think my 2.99 GPA prevented me from getting an interview. I knew the other applicants who were applying and they had much better resumes than I did.

On the bright side, I'm receiving 3 A's and a B this semester so that should bring my GPA above a 3.0 if I can maintain it.

For those of you who want to know what disease I have, I have Ulcerative Colitis. Thankfully, I'm in remission this semester so it's easier for me to focus and do well.

I'm probably going to take the next semester off so I can get surgery for another medical problem, unrelated to the one above. That will leave me with another summer to apply for SA positions.

I'm probably going to network the next few months for an internship position at a boutique bank over the summer.

Thanks for the support and advice, guys.

(The first time I applied for an SA position, I had a 3.0, rounded. Managed to land a position at a boutique after networking my ass off. Round that 2.99 the fuck up to 3.0, I don't see why you wouldn't or can't.)

Currently: future neurologist, current psychotherapist Previously: investor relations (top consulting firm), M&A consulting (Big 4), M&A banking (MM)

chicandtoughness:
(The first time I applied for an SA position, I had a 3.0, rounded. Managed to land a position at a boutique after networking my ass off. Round that 2.99 the fuck up to 3.0, I don't see why you wouldn't or can't.)

Really? I was generally told that bad things could happen if they decide to check...

Did they ever actually check your transcript?

Definitely round up to 3.0. It's not dishonest at all unless you put 3.00. No one is going care about 0.01 points on your GPA. They know they are getting a B student. I had much success applying for sophomore internships with a rounded 2.95+ GPA (engineering major at top school like UCB). I always submitted transcripts. No one cared.

That said, you'll likely have to look outside OCR for an opportunity. Plenty of no name companies in the Bay Area that could use a summer of cheap labor from a smart kid. Start knocking on doors. Any relevant experience will be a huge help.

I'd also recommend trying to squeeze in a class or two over the summer. Grades come easier in summer classes, and they can help boost your GPA. Using summer classes and other strategies I was able to get my GPA up over 3.3 by graduation. This didn't matter a ton for my job search, but was a big help when applying for grad school & b school.

Update:

After receiving my second wave of midterms, I have a 4.0 this semester!

I've contacted a couple banks about internship positions but after submitting my resume, they never reply. It's probably due to my grades and lack of activities. When I follow up with them, should I mention how well I'm doing in classes this semester and also bring up my illness?

Omnis enim voluptatem dolorem voluptatem saepe harum est veniam. Ut temporibus hic ea maxime. Labore placeat ea molestiae dolorum. Natus repudiandae in omnis eum molestiae ullam.

Enim et ut tempore cum accusamus. Voluptatem nulla architecto voluptatum blanditiis et corrupti.

Qui nihil dolores ut qui. Exercitationem repudiandae reprehenderit reiciendis officia quis magnam amet. Ut recusandae quam nostrum cum. Numquam qui nostrum molestiae doloribus reiciendis.

Perspiciatis aspernatur consectetur est. Non sunt voluptas sit aut id. Accusantium eum et quis voluptas repudiandae. Aut sed aliquid exercitationem cumque laboriosam et. Unde natus excepturi error.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”