Some users may recall older posts in which I talk about having a low GPA. I'm still doing internships and have delayed graduation yet again in an effort to find a job I'm comfortable with. I think (hope) I'll succeed, eventually, and with the help of WSO and my real-world connections.
However, one thing I've been considering is: how do I "fix" a low GPA out of undergrad? I'm from a non-target, which definitely doesn't help my situation. However, I'm at a stage where the circumstances that led to the low grades are no longer an issue.
- I finished my undergrad program (120 credit hours), so I can't retake classes (nor do I have the money for it considering I'd have to retake a lot of them).
- I've considered a second bachelors degree from a NYC school: cheap enough to afford and finish in 1 year, but would only fulfill the express purpose of getting a good GPA. Baruch isn't exactly prestigious.
- Go to a lower-ranked MSF (or eventaully MBA). I don't like this option.
- Save a small country and win a Nobel Prize to offset the GPA. For some reason, I'm not confident I can do this (uplifting commentary is welcome).
Thus far, the second degree from a similar non-target seems to be the best option. I'm aware that it will only correct a grade deficiency (and even then, transcripts reveal all), but the number seems to be that important in applying for jobs in finance. If I can finish it within my 2-3 years as whatever I start out as, why not?
As well, I read of a member here who took a good number of MS courses at NYU (almost 10, IIRC) and got a 4.0 as an independent student. He used this to offset his 2.7 and get into a top-10 business school. This may be a consideration, but I don't have nearly enough money to do that right now.
Thanks for the help everyone, it has really helped throughout my (fledgling) career.
Don't Miss This Awesome Related WSO Content
- Chance at top 25 program with low GPA?
- Post-Bacc Degree to offset low GPA?
- low gpa, msf needed for invesetment banking?
- Chances at decent MSF with low GPA from a non-target??
- Low UG GPA- Will MSF be the antidote
- Getting into MSF programs with a low GPA/GMAT
- MSF programs low gpa/high gmat splitter
- How is an upward trend in grades viewed when compared to cum. ugrad gpa?