Worker skips office mega millions pool, his group nails the $300mm lotto

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/he_out_of_luck…

On one hand you have this office pool finding out they won the mega millions. That must be such an insane feeling. While on the other end of this spectrum, I can't imagine how painful that was to discover you missed out on a healthy share of the mega millions.

GoodBread:
Brutal. I always buy one ticket if it's over 200 mill. Before taxes and making it a lump sum, you're actually getting positive EV (I would never be able to play without making those concessions).

Don't think thats true. Because as the jackpot increases, the # of players increases as well. So while the probability of you hitting the jackpot numbers will never change regardless of the payoff and # of participants... the expected payoff amount will change because with more participants there is an increased so you'll be splitting the jackpot.

On another note, I would love for an office pool of a bunch of high paid bankers to have won the lotto jackpot. The media/public reaction would be classic. Not like a Paulson and Blankfein.... but maybe like a few VPs on the Goldman prop desk and maybe a buddy or two of theirs that structures CDOs.

Marcus_Halberstram:
Don't think thats true. Because as the jackpot increases, the # of players increases as well. So while the probability of you hitting the jackpot numbers will never change regardless of the payoff and # of participants... the expected payoff amount will change because with more participants there is an increased so you'll be splitting the jackpot.

You're right, but I'm purposefully ignoring some stuff for the sake of making it look rational.

I would ask my fellow pool winners to pitch in a small portion of their winnings and get the guy something like a $1M consolation cut (like that would be what, $200K per person and you just won $16M each)?

I think that would make me feel better than having a presumably close co-worker go insane and/or green with envy.

If your happiness decreases at all between $16M and $15.8M, there is something seriously wrong with you...

alexpasch:
I would ask my fellow pool winners to pitch in a small portion of their winnings and get the guy something like a $1M consolation cut (like that would be what, $200K per person and you just won $16M each)?

I think that would make me feel better than having a presumably close co-worker go insane and/or green with envy.

If your happiness decreases at all between $16M and $15.8M, there is something seriously wrong with you...

Why would they care about a coworker who is not even a team player enough to participate in their pool?

200k is (more than) 2 years worth of income for most people, better keep it and not have to work with the envious coworker :)

More is good, all is better

The fact that all 16 of them quit immediately tells you the only reason we all work is for money. Don't let your boss tell you otherwise..

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

Even if the lottery did have a negative EV, if you can't throw away $3 to have a shot at winning $200 million you're a fucking moron.

One of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

Edmundo Braverman:
I can't say with 100% certainty, but if I was this guy there's a better than even chance that I'd kill myself. Just sayin'.

Can you imagine rolling into the office everyday, while your other 16 friends/ex-coworkers are out there doing whatever the fuck they want?

The lottery is just a tax on poor people. It occasionally has a positive EV, but let's be real; is the guy who buys six tickets at the corner store every Friday really making that calculation?

Anyway, studies pretty consistently show that winning the lottery tends to make you less happy in the long run, so I don't think this guy needs to be too bummed. If he didn't hate his life before, no reason he should now. If he did, no reason $16mm is going to change that.

Best Response
drexelalum11:
The lottery is just a tax on poor people. It occasionally has a positive EV, but let's be real; is the guy who buys six tickets at the corner store every Friday really making that calculation?

I wouldn't call it a tax. Buying a lotto ticket is a choice. Even if he did know it was a negative EV play, he might still want to participate - Where else can he risk $1 and potentially win hundreds of millions? I suspect people are willing to except a negative EV bet, so long as there is a ridiculous upside.

drexelalum11:
Anyway, studies pretty consistently show that winning the lottery tends to make you less happy in the long run, so I don't think this guy needs to be too bummed. If he didn't hate his life before, no reason he should now. If he did, no reason $16mm is going to change that.

Those same studies also show that paraplegics are no less happy over the long run. Should that guy also not be that bummed if he lost the use of his legs?

drexelalum11:

Its because people who win the lottery tend to lack the creativity needed to enjoy that amount of money.

invictus:
Question for all of you monkeys: Would you rather lose a winning ticket or go through not chipping in on a winning ticket. You'd have to go with the latter correct?

I think I would rather not take part than to lose the ticket...otherwise I would spend the rest of my life (unless there's a cut off...which I'm sure there is) looking for something that may or may not exist and wonder if someone found it and claimed the prize, etc.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Vel assumenda atque qui eum. Dicta veritatis qui provident nisi modi tempore minima. Non assumenda placeat sit totam eius.

Omnis fugit consequuntur enim sunt. Reprehenderit maiores dignissimos natus eum eveniet. Nihil deleniti similique deleniti qui corrupti dicta ad.

Quasi non reiciendis rerum tempora omnis. Rem quae similique adipisci ab. Dignissimos unde sed nam exercitationem. Dignissimos doloribus error nostrum.

Tenetur distinctio et nemo tenetur eos. Commodi ut doloribus magnam quisquam.

Sapiente tempore error et deserunt deleniti qui alias. Enim molestias dicta mollitia asperiores tempora dolores nihil impedit. Laborum tenetur sapiente dolor. Quibusdam temporibus maxime pariatur quia et laudantium. Quia dolores error omnis labore quidem eveniet ducimus. A dolor sapiente laboriosam similique rerum odio qui.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”