Click here for our Investment Banking forums. It is where we discuss the industry as well as different firms and groups.
These are a collection of some of the best discussions created for and replied to by members of the WSO community on the topic of Investment Banking. Keep in mind this is by no means a comprehensive list and reading old and current posts will help you learn more about the industry. If you think we missed one that should be included here, please e-mail [email protected] the request.
Q&A & Interview posts with IB professionals:
- 2nd year IB Analyst Taking Questions
- Q&A with WSO Founder Patrick, Part 1 (background in IB and PE, the idea for WSO, Wharton MBA), Part 2 (the past, present, and future of WSO)
- HappyPantsMcgee the Interview.
- Ask CompBanker
- I'm f***ing in, you're f***ing out
- The rufiolove Interview - Part One (WSO, daily life, experiences in the industry, and advice for new hires), Part Two (entering finance, advice for prospective monkeys, and target vs. non-target)
- Recruiting and Resume Advice from the Rockies
- Former M&A / here to field questions
- Former BB VP giving advice to all you wannabe bankers
- Ask a 2nd Year IB Analyst
- Interview With ThePillowPocket Founder Chad Riddersen, Part 1 (Big 4, banking, why entrepreneurship?), Part 2 (his ventures and lessons learned as an entrepreneur)
- The Forgotten IBD: Big 4 Corporate Finance
- 2nd Year Analyst Answering Questions
- Ask a 2nd Year IB Analyst
- duffmt6 2nd Year Analyst Unconventional Route Part 1, Part Two
- Answering Australian iBanking Questions - Ever wondered what the industry is like in Australia? This is the thread for you.
- SA Recruiting Megathread - Compilation of the best SA recruiting content on WSO.
- FT Recruiting Megathread - Compilation of the best FT recruiting content on WSO.
Top-bucket analyst in a top coverage group of adiscusses breaking into banking with a sub-3.5 , comparisons to consulting experience.
The "overlord of WSO" shares his experiences in investment banking and, how WSO started, and his advice to aspiring bankers.
Words of wisdom for undergrads and newly minted workers from a strategist at a top 5 bank.
Veteran WSO member CompBanker, who has worked exclusively on M&A and leveraged buyouts his whole career, answers questions.
Kenny_Powers_CFA, with 3 years of credit analysis experience, opens himself up to questions.
"Power-user" rufiolove speaks on a wide range of topics and imparts some advice for aspiring financiers.
A senior account executive for investment banking recruitment gives specifics on what a recruiter is looking for, and why they don't care about your cover letter.
Insightful question and answer thread with 10xleverage focused on.
VP left banking to work in natural gas sourcing, explains why, and answers questions.
Analyst gives back to the WSO community that helped him break into investment banking with advice forapplicants.
Riddersen runs through his experiences as a Big 4 audit associate and an IB analyst, and how he transitioned from IB.
Associate at Big 4group answers questions about the non-accountants under the accounting roof.
2nd year analyst at a top bank headed to buyside answers any and all questions.
Another 2nd year analyst answers all your questions providing feedback.
duffmt6, a second year IB analyst, describes his unconventional route to breaking in
See the full list of Q&A's & Interviews here: here.
Is Banking Right for Me?
-Banking vs. Consulting: A discussion on the differences between consulting and banking, focusing mainly on and & Company
-Why Banking: A discussion on the pros and cons of Wall Street in a down economy
Getting a Job
-Breaking In: full time analyst offer at a top-tier, middle market investment bank. A number of WSO users chime in with helpful advice and encouragementCompBanker explains his method for obtaining a
-Human Resources: This thread was started to vent the frustrations of dealing with various HR departments as a prospective IB analyst
-Offer Rescinded: This thread discusses what you can do if your offer was rescinded or you did not get a full time investment banking analyst offer
-Resume Mistakes: LB Banker created this thread to point out a number of mistakes that have been found in investment banking resumes
-Summer Analyst Tips: This is a fantastic thread for all future investment banking summer analysts. The discussion focuses on what to do and what not to do during your experience
-IB Background Check this FAQ for all you need to know.:Wondered what an IB background check entailed? Read
Life in Finance
-Compensation: This discussion started by Monkeygames123 gives an inside view on first year analyst's bonuses in 2009
-Fashion: Targetboy started this discussion about what may or may not be appropriate for a male investment banking analyst in terms of piercing, which turned into a general discussion on presentation on Wall Street
-Health and Lifestyle: WSO users discuss how to try and stay healthy as a first year investment banking analyst on Wall Street.
-Hours and Lifestyle: A candid discussion on the reality of a career in banking, from hours to home life
-Leaving Investment Banking: Certified user Edmundo Braverman discusses leaving investment banking for greener pastures
-List of Investment Banks: Make sure to check out "Searching for a Summer Internship" thread, which includes a list of 200 , middle market, and boutique banks as well as an interview with Scott Morris (former CEO of Boston Stock Exchange and Managing Director at )'
-Elite Boutiques (exit ops): WSO users discuss the exit opportunities for analysts at elite boutiques, touching on the day-to-day and lifestyle as well
-Middle Market Banks: A great discussion on what differentiates middle market from bulge bracket investment banks