Where can I find some of the best discussions on trading?
Click here for our Trading forums. It is where we discuss the industry as well as different firms and groups.
These are a collection of some of the best discussions created for and replied to by members of the WSO community on the topic of Sales & Trading. Keep in mind this is by no means a comprehensive list and reading old and current posts will help you learn more about the industry. If you think we missed one that should be included here, please e-mail [email protected] the request.
Q&A & Interview posts with S&T professionals:
- Exclusive Edmundo Braverman Interview, Part 1 (the Playboy article, dating, divorce, Man Week, diets, fights, writing), Part 2 (the value of a college education, his military experience, travelling, entrepreneurship, drug culture)
- Monty09: The WSO Interview
- Ask Monty09
- Ask Monty09 - Energy Trading careers, interviews, firms, etc
- Treasury Sales VP Taking Questions
- Q&A with a Fixed Income Trader at a Major Bank
- Open for Questions - Equities in Dallas
- Q&A with Michael Giles, founder & CEO of Roboinvest
- Q&A Interview with SirTradesaLot, Part 1 (background, importance of first job, meritocracy isn't dead, building an investment case), Part 2 (experience vs. brand, how to sell, walk away number), Part 3 (becoming the boss)
- 1st Year London BB Rates Trader Q&A
- Ask an Equity Prop Trader Anything
- Ask Me Anything: I'm a Currency Volatility Trader
- Part 1 - Ask a Sellside Options Trader, Part 2 - AMA - Equity Derivatives Trader - User derivstrading discusses what it's like to work both as a flow options trader and an equity derivatives trader.
- I'm a Algorithmic/Derivatives Trader at a Chicago Prop Shop: AMA
- What it's like to be a prop trader: The Inside Info
WSO legend gives us a look into his past, and the results are as entertaining as they are informative, touching on his military service, travel, women, divorce, rum, entrepreneurship, drug use, and the advantages and disadvantages of not attending college.
Energy trader based in Houston talks about his career path to this point, the energy markets today, and his yearly Energy Rodeo event.
Monty provides answers to questions ranging from trading to Greek cuisine in Houston.
A more in-depth Q&A focused on the energy sector.
Bulge-bracket government bond salesman gives some in depth answers regarding sales careers.
TheKing details how he broke into Wall Street, the 4 types of traits the best traders have, and what motivates him.
From hedge fund intern to NYSE floor broker to BB fixed income analyst to property manager to lobbyist to head of institutional sales, with something to be learned from each stop.
Financial Technology entrepreneur discusses his background in trading and starting an online brokerage, as well as the social investing platform he founded - which recently fetched $125,000 in angel funding.
With almost 15 years of experience, SirTradesaLot's thoughts are beneficial to any aspiring monkey regardless of industry.
1st year London BB rates trader answers any questions related to S&T and his experiences in Europe
An equity prop trader in NYC divulges everything you need to know about prop trading and the lifestyle.
A currency volatility trader in London answers questions about his background, breaking in, strategies, and more!
An algo/deriv trader at a Chicago prop shop, previously in S&T at a BB, answers your questions.
A former poker player-turned prop trader gives a great interview on the inside scoop of daytrading.
See the full list of Q&A's & Interviews here: here.
Is S&T Right for Me?
-Discrimination: This thread discusses different views on discrimination on the trading floor, note the very different views of the many participants in this discussion
-Sales vs. Trading: A number of users chime in on whether they think sales or trading is a better career
-Trading vs. Investing: This topic covers the difference between investing and trading
Getting a Job
-Internship Prep: Experienced WSO user derivstrading offers exceptional advice on how to prepare for a summer internship in sales & trading
Interviews: Gekko21, a long-time and respected certified user, gives guidance on how to conduct yourself in a sales and trading interview and how to prepare for different, specific sections of a sales and trading interview
-Recruitment: A WSO user who has recently received an offer shares, in great detail, the process he went through for sales & trading recruitment, with a number of users chiming in with their thoughts
-Undergraduate Classes: A college student asks and gets insight into what the best classes for trading are in college
Life in S&T
-Emerging Markets: This discussion covers what an emerging markets trader actually does, be sure to pay close attention to brotherbear's excellent post!
-Lifestyle: A few of WSO's full-time traders discuss the trader lifestyle
-Location: This topic focuses on the best place to start your career as a trader, focusing mainly on New York City versus Chicago
-Structuring: A number of WSO certified users provide insight into the job duties and exit opportunities for structuring positions within sales and trading, be sure to note the variances in opinion and why people see the structuring role differently