Pages

• Sharebar

Hi college juniors,

I thought it'd be helpful if we all compiled out status in this thread for our HK IBD SA applications, as I think it was practiced last year and the year before.

So let me just start:
CS: 1st round invite
Citi: pending
JPM: pending

Best of luck to all of you!

The WSO Advantage - Land Your Dream Job

Financial Modeling Training

IB Templates, M&A, LBO, Valuation. Learn More.

Wall St. Interview Secrets Revealed

30,000+ sold & REAL questions. Learn More.

Resume Help from Finance Pros

Land More Interviews. Learn More.

Find Your Mentor

Realistic Mock Interviews. Learn More.

Comments (289)

• BigBear85's picture

What process are you going through for Asia IBD? Through the website or campus recruiting?

• Blade1988's picture

My Chinese is useless and I stated that on my application as well.

Depends on the college, we have a resume drop for most banks but they tell you to apply online in addition to that. Good luck with UBS and GS in HK, I heard the interviews are intense!

• ibhopeful532's picture

cs first round interview coming up tuesday

GS superday is pretty standard
    UBS HK has "assessment center" consisted of:

1) 1 Individual interview
    2) Math test
    3) Individual presentation
    4) Chinese test
    5) group project

• hellllllllllooooooo's picture

a couple questions.
    1. Does Asia Pacific SA recruiting start earlier than US? If so, is it just IBD or is it the same for S&T?
    2. If I apply to HK, am I still allowed to apply for US?
    3. Is it too late to apply to HK (like most of the resume screening would have been over)?

• Blade1988's picture

Do you go to a target? If not, you need to look up the timeline on banks' websites. My school has a resume drop for HK positions and the deadlines are different from the website deadlines.

• ibhopeful532's picture

1. Yes, APAC SA recruiting (S&T/IBD) both start and end earlier than US recruiting. Deadline is either today, or a week from now for basically all the BB firms.

2. Depending on bank, yes you can apply for both. But there's an unspoken understanding you're supposed to decide which you would prefer (cause they're gonna ask you "why Asia?"). If you end up getting an offer say from JPM NYC and JPM HK, someone is not going to be too happy.

3. No, it's not too late. The HK process, unlike the NY yone, is stretched over 1.5 months. In New York, first rounds - superdays happen in like a week.

• parachute_3's picture

jpm pending
    ms pending
    ubs online assessment
    does DB have an exact deadline? in just said Dec online...

• bananafreak's picture

anyone hear back from Citi, MS, JPM, CS, Nomura, Deutsche HK IBD??

I just had my interview with CS. So I guess they are still conducting 1st rounds. and they say they will let me know in about a week or two

• dfb's picture

I applied for a position in Global Markets with Citi and received a rejection today. Did other people receive a similar email? I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fact that I'm a sophomore. On the application, there was an option to select student status, and the only choices were "penultimate year" or "ultimate year" of study. I selected penultimate year but then to be completely upfront, I noted in "additional information" that I was only in my second year..

Didn't even bother applying to CS because I talked to a recruiter who said that they wouldn't accept sophomores for any positions this year (besides through their minority program, which is only for the US anyway).

The WSO Advantage - Land Your Dream Job

Financial Modeling Training

IB Templates, M&A, LBO, Valuation. Learn More.

Wall St. Interview Secrets Revealed

30,000+ sold & REAL questions. Learn More.

Resume Help from Finance Pros

Land More Interviews. Learn More.

Find Your Mentor

Realistic Mock Interviews. Learn More.

• vjunreal's picture

BofA-ML: didn't apply
    BarCap: haven't submitted app yet
    Citi: no news
    CS: just had 1st rounds even though I haven't finished the numerical reasoning test, weird.
    GS: no news
    JPM: no news
    Laz: sent in resume+cov letter. my friend had his 1st rounds recently, not sure about me.
    MS: no news
    Nomura: no news
    UBS: no news

This is going pretty slowly. I'm a sophomore but graduating 1 year early if that helps. Tuition fee hike sucks

• dfb's picture

Got an email yesterday from MS that my application was under review and that they would contact people for first rounds in January. Kinda weird that it was from a specific HR person's email and not just some generic campus recruiting address.

I agree, this is going rather slowly..

• In reply to dfb
    hellogoodbye's picture

deutschlandfb:
    Got an email yesterday from MS that my application was under review and that they would contact people for first rounds in January. Kinda weird that it was from a specific HR person's email and not just some generic campus recruiting address.

I agree, this is going rather slowly..

I know and the guy forgot to put a subject for the email... linkedin show he's based out of india

• In reply to vjunreal
    SirBankalot's picture

vjunreal:
    BofA-ML: didn't apply
    BarCap: haven't submitted app yet
    Citi: no news
    CS: just had 1st rounds even though I haven't finished the numerical reasoning test, weird.
    GS: no news
    JPM: no news
    Laz: sent in resume+cov letter. my friend had his 1st rounds recently, not sure about me.
    MS: no news
    Nomura: no news
    UBS: no news

This is going pretty slowly. I'm a sophomore but graduating 1 year early if that helps. Tuition fee hike sucks

Lazard takes HK SA's?

• vjunreal's picture

yes apparently. my friend sent a cold email to the asia pacific recruiting address. i was surprised too. go look it up

edit: maybe the recruiting is rather informal for SA's. i honestly am not really sure myself so i sent in a cov letter and resume. can't hurt to try because they never said that they don't hire SAs for asia pacific offices

• ibhopeful532's picture

there is no reason to go to Lazard APAC.

M&A is very weak in Asia. Most deals are equity/follow-ons. In Asia, especially on China team, industry groups > product groups. in fact, Financial sponsors sees the LEAST deal flow. I was at a BB the past summer in HK discussed here, and our Financial Sponsors team (all 4 of them), left 5pm everyday with 0 live deals.

• vjunreal's picture

I can attest to M&A being weak in Asia but logically, I would think that Lazard's financial advisory division in Asia would also have industry coverage groups as well.

• ibhopeful532's picture

As far as I know, Lazard does not engage in any kind of capital markets activity (i.e. underwrite securities). It is purely M&A advisory. How it is structured though, is that there is no M&A group. It has a "FIG" team for example--- but that "FIG" team purely does M&A advisory.

• monkeyinasuit's picture

If M&A is weak in Asia and most deals are equity/follow-ons then why bother applying to Asia?

• ibhopeful532's picture

re: monkeyinasuit

I was at SA at one of the top BB's in HK IBD last year. Your question, i.e. 95% of deals are IPO/Follow-ons/block-trades, is exactly the reason I think there is a tradeoff by beginning to work in HK versus NY.

What you gain by being in an emerging market and a cool city, you also lose in variety of deal exposure and client sophistication. I was on a DD call last summer, and the CEO of a Chinese company we were DD'ing literally couldn't come up with some of the answers we were asking him because he was quote "I'm too hung over from last night".

• ibhopeful532's picture

Nah dude, not necessarily. I like the people I met in Hong Kong, I like the city, I grew up in new York so it's rather monotonous by this point. Long term wise, I don't forsee myself pursuing the path of a MD. I still think there are a lot of opportunities in China provided you cultivate a strong network and learn the language/culture. I think there's only one or two firms I'd stay in NYC for, and if I don't get those, I'll head back to HK.

• hellogoodbye's picture

anyone know when HK SA recruiting usually gives out first rounds? I got one and then just kept getting emails doing random online assessments up till even this week.... if anyone could give more information on timelines that would be great....

• ibhopeful532's picture

Based on last year, CS is usually the earliest. I was contacted by UBS/JPM/MS/GS last year during december last week, and first rounds are usually first week or two of January. Superdays are late january/early february.

• ibddddd's picture

when was the CS superday last year... and how many rounds of interviews does CS conduct.. only first and final?

• ibddddd's picture

i was supposed to have two interviews, but instead i had a 2 on 1 phone interview... so weird

• ibhopeful532's picture

CS Superday was January 22nd last year, and UBS was I believe January 21st if memory serves me correct. too lazy to dig upthe emails. anywho, if you're on the top of their list, you will receive calls from them before you go to sleep that night.

CS last year <5 interns
    UBS <15 interns

• Blade1988's picture

Nomura is out, got invite today. Any news about other BBs, except for CS, Nomura, UBS?

• venice316's picture

Hey guys, good luck with your interviews. I just have a few questions regarding recruiting @HK.

1. Is mandarin required for IBD & S&T positions in HK? Looks like UBS even has a chinese test. As a native speaker of Korean I am curious if I need to get started on studying mandarin (+ I am interested in chinese culture as well). Just curious if at least being conversational would help since a lot of people seem to say unless it's fluent its useless.

2. This Sounds like a stupid question but when applying for multiple offices how would you do this? Applying online and also through resume drops?

3. How is HK office compared to that of Singapore? (Class size, deal flows, exit opps, etc)

Thanks.

• ibddddd's picture

if you are not fluent, you should apply to singapore. lots of deals involve chinese clients, so fluency is expected for some firms...

• vjunreal's picture

No notification email yet from Nomura for me. Do rejections get sent out later or what?

I applied IBD in any case

• ibhopeful532's picture

Venice, the answer to your question is if you know Korean you don't need to know chinese. In fact, honestly, if they like you they wont even look at the Chinese test. The few people I know who don't speak chinese fluently in the office are the korean people. There's a VP @ JPMorgan who doesn't speak a lick of any Chinese/southeast asia language that started as an analyst. He's ABC. But then again, you have your analysts & Directors who are caucasian who will speak flawless mandarin.

• bananafreak's picture

how did you see that information on their website??

• In reply to vjunreal
    bankwanna's picture

Hey vjunreal, where did you get the email address for lazard asia recruitment? I cold-called them a couple of times during office hours but couldn't get through past HR... I'm more interested in the Seoul office if you have the contact info handy.

Meanwhile, for me:
    BarCap initial interview, didn't bother applying online, only applied through networking

• venice316's picture

ibhopeful532, thanks for sharing the info.

• ibddddd's picture

just got a citi invite... any other invites

• honga's picture

MS ibd interview coming up
    competency? technical? anyone?

• ibhopeful532's picture

completely depends on your interviewer. If you get an asshat, yes you will get a ton of technicals. If you get someone chill, he'll understand that as long as you are an intelligent, articulate person, you can learn the "technical" skills of IBD in two weeks.

• honga's picture

^^^
    will there be a mandarin part in the interview?

• Blade1988's picture

Yea, if u speak mandarin, they'll test u...

As a status update: UBS, Nomura, Citi, JPM r out now as well...

I thought MS wasn't yet, but I guess honga just proved me wrong.

• genieli's picture

are these invites to UK, US students only or across the globe.

I am applying HK from Asia and so far only receive Citi ... guess I am rejected for others?

• honga's picture

I think for MS HK IBD, you can check your status by going back to the application website.
    rejected/under review
    not 100% sure though.

I am pretty sure Citi, UBS and CS are out. If Blade is correct about Nomura and JPM, then I guess I'm rejected from all five.

...great

Pages