GPA is 3.62 -- Am I Screwed?

No one to blame but myself really...

I go to a semi-target. It's a high semi-target though, a top 20 school.

First semester I got a 3.4 flat. Liberal arts requirements got me b/c I have no passion for them and I didn't put any effort into them. Lesson Learned. This past semester I got a 3.9 flat, bringing my overall GPA to 3.62 (I did pass-fail for the worst class this past semester).

I did the math and if I make two As and the rest A- I will have a 3.69 GPA, but IDK if I can make that happen. I know recruiting starts second semester sophomore year, so do I have a chance?

Also, can I say a 3.69 is a 3.7 on the resume?

Comments (15)

May 26, 2020 - 10:55pm

The fact that it's a semi-target will hurt you, but remember that GPA is only one part of your resume, and the fact that it's a top 20 school makes that number a bit better.

• Intern in IB - Cov
May 26, 2020 - 10:59pm

3.62 is totally fine, especially with the fact that you go to a really good school. I go to a total non-target, had a 3.7 entering recruiting, and had a relatively easy time getting interviews and an offer late in the spring. I'd definitely recommend not putting a 3.7 on your resume, because there's a good chance you get called out for it during your bg check.

Try to get as high a GPA as possible next semester, just to maximize your chances. Don't fret if you're still at a low 3.6. If you network like I did, I'd be surprised if you don't get an offer.

Most Helpful
May 26, 2020 - 11:02pm

I disagree, nobody in HR is going to call out and cause a scene over a 3.7 GPA on the resume if the transcript says 3.6927.

Array

• Intern in IB - Cov
May 27, 2020 - 12:25am

My bad. I'm an idiot and didn't read the 3.69 part.

HR is fine with that kind of bump. In fact, I had a 3.67 rounded up to a 3.7 and had no issue with my BG check.

May 26, 2020 - 11:11pm

You can round a 3.65 to a 3.7 and no one will bat an eye. I'm at a nontarget and rounded my 3.56 to a 3.6. I'll be honest, I had contacts at mid tier BBs that told me they hesitated vouching for me because they wanted to see a 3.7, but I ended up at a low tier BB. You're at a semitarget so you should have a somewhat easier time. Try for the 3.7 though.

May 27, 2020 - 4:40pm

Look, don't get so gungho over your GPA.

Yes it's one big facet on your resume, but your story and your answers to your interviews are going to count WAY more than your GPA.

Take it from me, I too was at at a non-target (top 15 school) with BB. I had an unfortunate class/professors structure that killed me in my first 2 years but whatever. They're more looking for what you've been doing to show interest in the markets, corporate finance, and how you show leadership/own your mistakes.

We've actually declined someone when the GPA was extremely high and we thought they were TOO qualified. Banking is not hard and you dont' have to be smart to do it, it's just hard work.

May 28, 2020 - 8:52pm

Banks send the whole arsenal (MD's / ED's / VPs / Associates / Analysts) to go recruit at certain schools. Asking this team or even different teams within a group to do this for 5 schools is a lot, (flight, networking, more networking, flight back). Now think about it for doing it for top 15. It's hard enough to be away from the desk for 30 minutes, to be away for an ENTIRE day or two is absolutely crushing. I'm not trying to exaggerate this at all, but most higher ups in banking hate to go to recruiting events because of the time it takes away from actual work / revenue opportunities.

Some schools just generate much more interest in finance since they have undergraduate business schools. Banks needs to be selective in where they travel to. The top BB will go to the top 5-10 schools, then the more boutique shops will go to the 10-20 typically (because they know they have no chance against a firm like JPM/BAML/GS)

May 28, 2020 - 8:57pm

forgot to respond to your second question

This only happened once in actual practice, but this person was extreme. Huge quant, and certainly qualified and intelligent, but seemed like interests more aligned with something outside of banking.

Again, it's not about how smart you are, but your story, your drive, your interests.

May 27, 2020 - 5:05pm

1) 3.5+ is pretty much the only real threshold that makes a big difference (but even that can be overlooked depending on your other qualifications)
2) Yes, you can definitely round a 3.69 to 3.7
3) Work hard to get those As, but it's not the end of the world if you get a 3.6 or whatever. Just do your best to make your resume stand out in other places, and do well in your interviews. You'll be fine.

Jan 9, 2022 - 2:43pm

Tenetur impedit molestiae beatae numquam excepturi et nobis. Maxime deleniti tempora cumque autem ipsa voluptatem. Omnis accusamus minima similique eligendi quam ipsum. Ullam beatae temporibus sed nulla. Ut dicta odio tempore doloribus. Quae et exercitationem corporis dolor quia laborum.

Animi est sint rem atque. Natus eum consequatur quia quis tempora ea laboriosam. Nostrum et qui omnis fugiat aperiam ut voluptatibus. Officiis similique laudantium totam quia enim. Necessitatibus qui ipsa quo deserunt et eum.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

January 2022 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (5) $604
  • Vice President (21) $384
  • Associates (144) $238
  • 2nd Year Analyst (84) $153
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (15) $150
  • 1st Year Analyst (295) $142
  • Intern/Summer Associate (63) $143
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (225) $90