I'm a junior Econ major at a non-target liberal arts college with a sub 3.5 GPA and my only relevant work experience was at a really small lower MM PE firm last summer. I've got a few interesting abroad / volunteer experiences mostly in South America. I want to do IBD and realize that to even have a slight chance for FT, I've got to do IBD this summer. Not surprisingly I struggled to get interviews at BBs and major MMs/boutiques. I interviewed at a boutique in Boston back in January that I networked pretty extensively at. I was told I had a pretty good shot but it took 2 months for them to finally tell me I was rejected ( I did follow up with HR multiple times). I also interviewed at a few consulting firms and for some wealth management roles at a BB. Those didn't pan out either.
31 Mar 2014
I have an offer from Stifel Nicolaus for their IBD office in Baltimore. I also have an offer from Ewing Bemiss, its a boutique in Richmond with about 20 bankers. I liked the guys at Ewing Bemiss more, but I feel like Stifel would provide me with better exit opportunities. What do you guys think? Your input is appreciated.
25 Oct 2010
Hi guys, I am a non - EU student graduating in late 2017 from a target BS in France (think HEC, ESSEC, ESCP). I am a CFA level 3 candidate, having done two internships related to corporate banking/credit analysis roles in top tier corporate banks in France (think BNP, SG, CA, Citi, HSBC, etc.). Recently, I received an internship offer with a potential employment from a "no name" regional M&A boutique (10-20 deals/y, value ranging from EUR 10m to EUR 75m) in a major continental European city (think Frankfurt, Paris, Milan...). I will probably take the offer. So my questions are: 1. I am aiming
29 May 2017
Hey Monkeys, I have an offer from a no-name boutique in a 2nd/3rd tier city, which I wasn't that stoked about. But after talking with the MD, he said I would do mostly M&A (sell-side and buy-side), but I could also work with their small PE arm (there is also a restructuring arm which I could maybe get exposure to as well). This sounds really interesting - does anyone have any experience with something similar? Is this "normal?" Will this help me lateral to a larger MM/BB/EB after a year because I have M&A and PE experience? Let's say hypothetically I did some M&A deals and some PE deals in the
24 Oct 2016
Some background info: I am a 4th yr junior at a complete nontarget and will be graduating next December with a mediocre gpa (3.3-3.4) but will get it up hopefully to 3.5ish or above before I graduate. I just landed a part time internship from cold calling boutiques. An alum from my school is an MD at one of the boutiques and when I called we talked for about 25 min just about my school, market etc and he told me to come in, meet the team and see if I like it. Note: This is a very very small boutique around 5 to 6 people all senior people who all have BB experience and other tons of industry experience.
28 Jan 2010
I am a first year undergrad at a target university in the UK and understand that cold emailing is very common in the US. I was wondering if cold emailing people at BB's/Boutiques regarding internship/work experience opportunities in London or Europe in general is just as acceptable? If so, has anybody had any success in any capacity with this method? It would be great if people from both the sending and receiving end of cold emails could shed some light on what they have experienced. Thank you in advance. :)
28 Mar 2018
Hello, I'm running into this internship dilemma with one boutique, and I really need you guys advice. I had an internship interview (sort of 'cause it wasn't very technical or fit ) with a boutique last month (probably unpaid). At the end of the phone conversation, the MD told me to let her know my decision at the end of this month to work things out. So I assume that I got the opportunity (she didn't specifically say I was accepted or anything like that). I told her my decision that I'm very happy to intern at the firm this summer yesterday and asked for the start date and stuff. But she replied and said "still thinking about it and will let me know right when she decides". What does that "still thinking 'bout it" mean? Is that about just the start-date or about me being offered to work at the boutique? This is tricky and I'm a bit worried 'cause if she was just tryin' to avoid telling me that I can't work, then I would have to start doing other boutiques all over again n it's kinda late now. What do you guys think? Should I email (or call) and ask for some sort of acceptance confirmation? If I should, then what's the effective way to put it?
25 Mar 2010
Recently received an offer from a boutique bank, but was not given a salary figure. That will be discussed at some point in the future and was asked what I had heard/expected for boutique compensation. Given that BB banks raised base to $85K, have boutiques in NY (not EBs) followed suit and also increased their compensation packages? I know not to expect that a boutique would also have an $85K base for first year analysts, but would they have raised comp to $70K+ base? Also what is the typical bonus % for analysts at boutiques? Thanks in advance.
31 Jan 2015
Hi, I have a real problem and maybe it will become clearer to me as I type. I really value this forum's advice and any thoughts would be much appreciated. I currently work for a Big Four CF team in a small market and have done so for the last two years. I have been approached by a new small M&A boutique consisting of two partners and an associate. The lead partner is a well known deal maker where I'm from and is well regarded in the market. They have offered me a job as an analyst with a base salary very similar to my current salary. They are saying if they deliver their pipeline that I will
03 May 2016
I am new to this site and find it tremendously helpful. I recently just interviewed with a small shop boutique investment bank and had the final round earlier this week. The partners seemed to like me and they informally told me that they would be happy to take me on. They did mention that they would need to contact some of my past employers after the interview. The problem I have is that I also have several other interviews with various boutiques in the area. The shop I interviewed with already though is my top choice, but I have not heard back yet on whether or not I would be getting a formal offer. Should I continue to interview with these other shops and what should I do if I am asked to sign on the spot (one of them is tomorrow and a first and final round within the same day)?
25 Apr 2012
I am currently a junior who attends the semi-Target school and currently studying abroad in London. My plan was to do off-cycle internship in Asia region (Korea particularly) and then do an internship in a boutique in NY and network there. The reason for this is to delay my SA recruitment season to next fall and gain more experience in the finance industry. However, I got an email from the international office advisor that I am not eligible to get a work authorization (CPT) since I am not a full-time student for a year. Basically, I can't get any paid or unpaid internship in the States. I want
10 Oct 2017
I am looking into going after an analyst position at a boutique mutual fund company in the midwest. I have been working for a small independent money managing firm since graduating undergrad in 2008, so I don't have much applicable experience. My hope is that with doing some homework, I could qualify for an entry level analyst job at a small fund company like this (approx 60 employees). Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice to share?
09 Nov 2010
I'm currently a senior at a top state school majoring in Political Science. I've taken several supporting coursework in accounting and finance throughout my college life. Unfortunately, I think my main disadvantage is that I have a sub 3.0 gpa and I don't have any finance experience. Regardless, I am going through the 200 Investment Banking Questions and Answers guide because I am still interested in pursuing a career in this field. I've heard that considering my GPA, I should consider applying to smaller IB firms but I've also heard that the best way to get in touch with these firms are
23 Nov 2015
Can anyone give me some advice regarding my career choice? education: a target school in Asia, First Class in a quantitative subject, graduated a year ago. Current job: fund sales in a top global asset manager, also based in Asia. I joined after I graduated. Aspiration: Public side investing Initially I wanted to take advantage of some internal transfer opportunities but I feel the skill set I am getting in fund sales is not that relevant. I have an offer from a boutique ib focusing in Asia Pacific, which has some reputation in the region. They have quite a lot of deal flows, mostly m&a, Dcm and valuation work. The deal size are small (most are
29 Nov 2014
Hi All, I'm currently a first year analyst in Ops at one of the big banks in NYC, and I'm looking to get out and make the transition to one of the many boutique IB firms here in the city. Has anyone had success doing so? And if so, would it be wise for me to check out a few Head Hunting firms to make this lateral move? I've done a little research and most of the Head Hunters I've come across (CPI, Oxbridge, etc) only take candidates from IB and help move them into PE, rather than from somewhere into a boutique IB firm. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys.
06 Mar 2014
How valuable is an internship experience at a boutique investment bank that specializes in private placements of debt and equity. I would have a lot of experience with closing deals, and the partners were former directors at BBs.
27 May 2014
I've been trolling around these forums for a while but this is my first post. So, after some laborious cold calling I managed to make some headway towards earning internship. Someone at a satellite office of a boutique firm forwarded my resume along to a higher up HR rep at the firm's headquarters. Lo and behold, I get an email the next day telling me that they have a paid position available. They told me that we'd move on to get some pre employment/hire paperwork done. Does this mean that I'm very likely to get the position? I've tried to find a definite answer but nothing really came up. I
03 Apr 2014