IQ in the 98,6th percentile is my GMAT fixed to 720?

Hello to everyone!

I ve got a little question about the GMAT and the GRE scores I am capable of achieving.

Since I was very small I ve done multiple IQ tests from different providers (Ravens, Wechsler etc.) my scores ranged from the 95th percentile up to 99,5th percentiles and the average of all my IQ tests (which are about 6 in total) is 98,4th percentile . The test in which I scored the highest in - the 99,5th percentile - was a pure logical reasoning tests and not verbal at all-and I suck vebal things - hence the lower scores in other tests. Now, according to Mensa a 720 GMAT equates to the IQ level I am at- like 133.

Now, my question is whether I would be able to get a 730-740 if I d study for months, had luck, and extra time ( I ve got ADHD, but I never had extra time in IQ tests, so this might do something in the GMAT which is timed).

Regarding the GRE, what results could I expect to see there?

I would obviously be willing to study for months and given my undgraduate course which is BSc Economics and at my uni its even more mathematical than at other unis I would also kind of revise for the GMAT/GRE while going to usual lectures.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Take the practice, computer-based GMAT they offer online. The score you get on that is a good predictor of actual performance. I took the practice, and decided I didn't need to study. Ended up score 10 points higher on the actual exam.

People who take the practice and go through a Kaplan (or similar) prep course can increase their scores by 100 points. The GMAt is a learnable exam. It's like a game: if you know the rules to the game, you'll do better than someone who doesn't know the rules.

On GMAT forums, many people say verbal is easier on the actual exam and quant is more difficult (compared to the downloadable practice exam). I would agree with that statement.

I'll do what I can to help ya'll. But, the game's out there, and it's play or get played.

The GMAT is not an IQ test. There is definitely content; you can learn and even game it. I'm taking a course through one of the popular prep providers, and I just took a second practice exam that was 60 points higher than my diagnostic, and I expect to raise that another 40 points (halfway through the course). The material and strategies out there are very helpful.

I think what is posted on Mensa is the average score for someone with that IQ. But you can definitely score above the average for your intelligence if you study more (and smarter) than average. Sure, your average person has no shot at 750, but I'd say you do if those IQ tests are reliable.

Fun Fact: 710 is probably good enough to get you in anywhere you actually have a chance. Rational, look at MBA programs, they all disclose the average GMAT of who they accepted last year, 710 is above all the program averages I can currently recall. Net effect, spend time on the admission essays and interviews, a move from 710 to 750 won't do more for you than a great essay or being legacy. Also, I really don't know how much weight gets put on GMAT other than so long as it's above the school minimum.

BTB, when I say have a chance, to be fair, there's some places you just weren't going to get into regardless of GMAT score. Either the program has too many bankers and wants to balance, or you lack 'non-quantitative' assets.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/04/27/the-super-gmat-schools/

According to this there are actually 11 schools with higher than 710 average GMAT score.

overpaid_overworked:
Fun Fact: 710 is probably good enough to get you in anywhere you actually have a chance. Rational, look at MBA programs, they all disclose the average GMAT of who they accepted last year, 710 is above all the program averages I can currently recall. Net effect, spend time on the admission essays and interviews, a move from 710 to 750 won't do more for you than a great essay or being legacy. Also, I really don't know how much weight gets put on GMAT other than so long as it's above the school minimum.

BTB, when I say have a chance, to be fair, there's some places you just weren't going to get into regardless of GMAT score. Either the program has too many bankers and wants to balance, or you lack 'non-quantitative' assets.

Sometimes lies are more dependable than the truth.

[quote=Ultima-RDK]http://poetsandquants.com/2011/04/27/the-super-gmat-schools/

According to this there are actually 11 schools with higher than 710 average GMAT score.

Fair point Ultima, 714 and 718 were the highest that I applied for, I think they were lower when I got in. Given the spreads listed there, sounds like 680 was enough to get some people in, so I'd stand by my statement that 710 is probably good enough to get in to those schools, and OP would likely get more value from focusing energy elsewhere.

I need to find where the next rat race will be. Then start some B.S. institute and have suckers pay to get my industry recognized designation.

Something like the founder of mensa who suckers naive people to pay for a piece of paper that says they're geniuses. lol

mr.b yeah thats probably one of the reasons cant really concentrate long and thus lose a lot of time to refocus, this obviously makes one even more nervous in the test which then probably has an effect on the end score , but I only care about the pure logical reasoning intelligence, the g intelligence, where I was mostly in the 99th percentile and higher ,which is enough for me. I mean according to both my brothers who hold very high positions in Goldman S and Deutsche Bank say that perhaps if you are a mathemtician and do research you ll notice the difference in the 99th percentiles but for jobs in finance, PE etc. once you reach 98th+ other factors will determine your success.

hockey1316:
Im a Mensan with SAT 2280 and took the GMAT while studying for LSAT and got a 700. You can do it but its not an IQ test and to be honest you need to work on your grammar. It needs help.

Whats your IQ percentile because I know Mensan that have IQs of 160 to who I look like a complete fool?

hockey1316:
Im a Mensan with SAT 2280 and took the GMAT while studying for LSAT and got a 700. You can do it but its not an IQ test and to be honest you need to work on your grammar. It needs help.

"I'm a Mensan with an SAT score of 2280 and while studying for the LSAT, I took the GMAT and got a 700." "You can do it, but it's not an IQ test. However, to be honest, you need to work on your grammar."

It's like reading the work of a 2nd grader. You know what they say about people who live in glass houses?

Rich Capitalist:
Whats your IQ percentile because I know Mensan that have IQs of 160 to who I look like a complete fool?

Okay, hockey1316 is right, you're an awful writer.

"What's your IQ percentile? I know Mensans that have an IQ of 160 to whom I look like a complete fool."

You're both welcome.

"My caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested."

lol

That GMAT has nothing to do with IQ. Just like a math Ph.D. is not guaranteed a 51Q, you are not guaranteed a 700+. If you spend two to three months studying, and you understand everything, you should have no problem getting a score in the 99th percentile. I honestly believe that the only thing necessary for a 700+ is moderate intelligence and a drive to do well.

KKS:
lol

That GMAT has nothing to do with IQ. Just like a math Ph.D. is not guaranteed a 51Q, you are not guaranteed a 700+. If you spend two to three months studying, and you understand everything, you should have no problem getting a score in the 99th percentile. I honestly believe that the only thing necessary for a 700+ is moderate intelligence and a drive to do well.

Then how do you explain that you can qualify yourself for Mensa with a 720, the guys that set these entry standards surely knew what they were doing

Rich Capitalist:
KKS:
lol

Then how do you explain that you can qualify yourself for Mensa with a 720, the guys that set these entry standards surely knew what they were doing

Just because Mensa requires that as a score does not mean it tests IQ. I scored a 700 on the GMAT. Had I studied more, I could have easily scored a 720. I am not a genius. I also know plenty of people with 99th-percentile scores that are of average intelligence.

To be fair, and I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight, but I've found that following rules in the mundane helps me get ready for the important stuff. I almost always use proper email formating, even on my Blackberry, because then I don't fuck up and use shitty formatting/grammar when I'm emailing clients. Whether it's Youtube comments or email, setting and using proper writing conventions is useful practice. As I read this back I sound like a pretentious D-bag, but it's worth getting into the habit of always using proper grammar, it'll help make you a better banker. Traders can ignore this.

Dude, just put Mensa on your resume and wait for the offers to start rolling in. Everyone will be impressed with such a towering achievement. You can squeeze it on your resume in the spot right next to your NAMBLA membership.

Pretty weird question. I don't think there is a strong correlation between IQ and GMAT scores for the most part. Obviously at the outliers you can make some generalizations. So a person who scores a 550 is probably not that intelligent while someone who scored say a 770+ is probably pretty smart. There is a big middle ground though where people frequently improve their scores within a short amount of time. So someone who jumps from 670 to 740 simply did a better job of studying for the GMAT rather than getting "smarter."

mbavsmfin:
Pretty weird question. I don't think there is a strong correlation between IQ and GMAT scores for the most part. Obviously at the outliers you can make some generalizations. So a person who scores a 550 is probably not that intelligent while someone who scored say a 770+ is probably pretty smart. There is a big middle ground though where people frequently improve their scores within a short amount of time. So someone who jumps from 670 to 740 simply did a better job of studying for the GMAT rather than getting "smarter."
yeah but returns on studying diminish dramatically after a certain point. i think each person has an equilibrium score dictated by intelligence/IQ. that could be 100 points higher than their first cold attempt or it could be 10 points higher.

in most cases the dramatic gains occur after only 2-3 weeks of studying and level off quickly. so when someone says "i got a 700 but i could have hit 750 if i studied harder" it's usually not true. they probably studied enough to get pretty close to their max and further studying wouldn't have really helped. most people take the test when they hit a ceiling...if you think some extra studying would add 50 points then you are a moron for prematurely taking the test. most people aren't that stupid.

How the fuck did I miss this thread for over a month?

"Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat, that's a fact.

lol - most geniuses would solve this particular puzzle in about one second - so either you are trolling us or you are significantly over-estimating/reporting your iq

Error quis quam sunt quis. Minus occaecati aperiam eius consequuntur autem numquam. Aut ea qui asperiores quasi qui dolores quos. Et maiores quis quidem eveniet cum ipsam facere. Nihil illo tempore repellat et earum eveniet.

Voluptas debitis eos et sunt voluptatem. Saepe voluptatem dolor quos dolores reprehenderit maiores maxime. Recusandae voluptatem sint molestiae deleniti quasi quos ipsa adipisci. Veritatis magnam enim ipsa sit impedit. Illo nisi magnam aut eius excepturi cum. Aperiam id ut voluptas magnam id adipisci. Velit qui quis omnis. Nesciunt ex corporis minus.

Illo voluptatem est ad sit et non beatae. Reiciendis qui voluptatem asperiores deserunt. Dolor perferendis voluptatem et ut rerum. Non possimus earum aliquid.

Magni odit ratione excepturi quaerat dolor sed doloremque quaerat. Repellendus nemo repellendus et enim vel repellat voluptas. Laborum et sequi voluptas repudiandae ipsam aperiam. Soluta assumenda voluptas rerum ullam qui perferendis atque. Quod facere eaque repellat nesciunt temporibus corrupti assumenda itaque.

Odio nostrum sunt molestias. Quasi assumenda culpa quam laboriosam. Voluptatem error pariatur laborum occaecati est modi.

Quia ut minima quas libero. Quidem ullam itaque labore beatae quibusdam repellendus sit. Voluptates odit qui sunt eum aliquid. Ad sed at molestias necessitatibus voluptatibus repellendus. Exercitationem impedit sit consectetur voluptate distinctio.

Qui et debitis nisi cumque dolor. Dignissimos veritatis voluptatibus quia aut. Et rerum dolorum omnis dolor voluptate minus nobis ea. Culpa possimus vero at alias dolorem. Voluptatem fugit eos fuga sint suscipit quibusdam et. Ut qui magni quia inventore cupiditate. Consectetur amet possimus repudiandae libero aut aut. Itaque animi dolor quos in.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”