So... yesterday I was officially accepted into Carnegie Mellon. Now I'm wondering - is it worth the money?
It costs 55k a year - assuming parents provide 15k a year, I provide 5k a year, and CMU gives me a grant of 10k a year, that leaves 25k a year, or 100k worth of debt.
Short and sweet: is it worth the debt over a public university (specifically, University of Maryland)?
I've crunched some numbers and assumed I get an S&T job out of undergrad in NYC. The numbers would look somewhat like this:
Total Rent: 1750
Total Misc: 750
Total Monthly Cost: 2500
Total Yearly Expense Cost: 30000
Total College Loan Monthly Cost: 1075
Total Yearly Debt Cost : 13000
Total Yearly Important Incidentals: 2000
Total Yearly Cost: 45000
How Much I Will Be Making: 65000 +25000 Bonus = 90000
Net Income = Earnings/2 = 45000
So net balance = 0... so it should be doable (if these numbers look off, please correct me!)
All opinions would be welcome!
- Click here for the 2017 FT IB Analyst Recruiting Megathread discussion page. APPLICATIONS / INTERVIEWS / SUPERDAYS Goldman Sachs Morgan Stanley J.P. Morgan Bank of America ML Citigroup Barclays Credit Suisse Deutsche Bank UBS Wells Fargo Applications open:...
- WSO is excited to have the experts from Accepted on board to answer applicant questions in the business school forum. Here are messages from Natalie and Jen who will be checking this thread every few days: Natalie I'm here to answer any questions you have regarding Business School...
- So I have been asked twice in the past week by ambitious young monkeys "What are the best sources to learn to build a financial model". The problem is these guys are only freshman and sophomores in college. A FINANCIAL MODEL IS USELESS UNLESS YOU HAVE A STRONG UNDERSTANDING OF...
- Let's talk booze. You all knew the time would come that the discussion would branch out from my tried and true (WoodfordandCreatine™) and get more adventurous. There's no rules when it comes to alcohol, except obviously don't be a pussy. Try everything once. Also, girl drinks...
- You’re going to quit at least one job in your life, probably several. In fact, 2.8 million Americans quit their jobs every month. You know what’s heartbreaking about that statistic? Virtually none of those 2.8 million people know how to quit their job and still win. You need to...
- Hello everyone. I've lurked here on and off over the years and realize there isn't much activity regarding wealth management, but thought I'd register anyway. I'm in my 30s, at an independent broker/dealer, been doing this over a decade (after getting my B.S. in finance and...
- I know this sounds insane! But theoretically speaking what if Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan merged together?
- Background: I work for one of the largest banks in the world by assets, in credit analysis. My job is basically to analyze the credit risk of large corporates (generally more than $1Bn in revenue). Products are not limited to loans and revolvers, but extends to everything under the sun that is...
- Hello monkeys, I used to be quite active on WSO under a different name (before and up to the Eddie / MMM days), until the IB grind turned me into a lurker. I can honestly say that WSO played a big part in helping me land the IB gig in the first place, so when I coach young bankers / college...
- Whomever you prefer in the 2016 presidential race, no one can say it hasn’t been interesting (in the same way watching jackals pick apart the carcass of an antelope is interesting). One of the things that makes it so is the fact that we are a month out and it could still go either way. I...
- Currently going through background check for a product control position. Have roughly 5k in collections. Will I failbackground check?
- Hey Guys, I have an upcoming on campus interview with Houlihan Lokey for their restructuring group. I consider myself a competitive applicant, but I know that HLRX is extremely competitive, and that...
- Hey guys. Sign up if you are interested in joining a month-long, closed alpha-test for a menswear start-up. You will receive a box with 3-5 shirts weekly/biweekly (to be finalized) which you will...
- I just received an exploding offer from DB (SA). I do not have any other offers at the moment, but have several superdays with other BBs. If I do not want to renegotiate, should I just take this...
- I understand that the word best is very subjective. But what i am asking for is a list/top opportunistic real estate fund in term of competitiveness to get a job (exclusivity) in terms of money...
- Hi guys, I recently came across a modelling problem and really hope someone here can help. If a transaction is conducted under an asset deal (as opposed to a stock deal), I understand that PPE and...
- I've noticed people generally on this forum pick the group/bank that is perceived as "better" yet may have a significantly lower offer rate. Why?
- I am creating a DCF model for Coca Cola, and I was wondering what ratios were best to use when comparing companies in the consumer staples sector?
- Hello all. I was recently laid off as an equity analyst from a small long-only shop where I worked for about 5 months (with 4.5 years of analyst experience at another larger global long-only prior)....
- I have a phone call tomorrow with a FI trader at JPM. What kind of questions can I ask him to impress but also show that I've been following the markets?
- Has anyone interviewed at Tennenbaum Capital recently? Would be curious to know anyone's experience interviewing for an associate position here?
- Hello monkeys, I used to be quite active on WSO under a different name (before and up to the Eddie / MMM days), until the IB grind turned me into a lurker. I can honestly say that WSO played a big...
- - How to prove that there's no tech bubble through Uber's latest financing round. Uber's Series G is frequently brought in as an example of the perceived tech bubble that should be afflicting Silicon...
- Can you please describe your firm and the structure of your carry. Divulge at your discretion. Thx!
- As we all finished our super days this past Wednesday and Thursday I figured Id make a form to discuss both our experience and if we have heard back yet. Location: Boston Position: Full Time
- PE deal generation professional in Chicago (2-4 yrs of experience)
- Corporate Accountant - Denver - $75-95 base - Real potential for Manager in year
- Senior Process Improvement & Strategic Auditor * 2 Years in Audit = Business Facing Role
- Accounting Manager * Private Investment Firm * Real Estate Focus * CPA Required *
- Junior Execution Sales Trader