2021 Full-time Analyst Recruitment

Just got off a phone call with an alum who works for Deutsche Bank in London. She mentioned that a lot of the banks are considering skipping fall recruitment this year for full-time positions and only hire summer analysts, at least in the London office. Does anyone have any insights on what fall recruitment for FT might look like in the US or maybe Hong Kong office?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (26)

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
May 18, 2020 - 1:51pm

I think, for most BBs, that the recruiting timeline might get pushed into more "normal" timing, i.e., in the late summer/early fall. Banks seem to be pretty focused on restructuring their summer 2020 programs at the moment so I wouldn't expect them to surge on FT recruiting just yet.

That said, I went through this last year and it's still important to network, although no one knows any real information until the intern program ends/offers are given out, i.e., as to whether they need to bring in more talent. By networking effectively, if the firm does FT hiring, you're already on the radar as interested.

• Intern in IB-M&A
May 18, 2020 - 1:57pm

How did you balance networking before the internship ends with managing your SA position? My SA is online so I assume I'll have time to network, but I'm more worried about my current bank getting wind of my recruiting somehow and not getting a return offer or people I network with being annoyed that someone with a decent SA position is still looking around for FT opportunities.

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
May 18, 2020 - 2:30pm

Not the commenter above, but was in the same situation. I wouldn't really network with anyone you don't already have a close connection with (e.g. genuine friends or mentors) until you have secured a return offer. Most FT processes are towards the end of summer (late July through September) anyway, although who knows with what's going on now.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB - Ind
Jul 12, 2020 - 4:06pm

Curious as to whether I should contact analysts that just started (Class of 2020 graduates) or analysts who just finished their 1st year (Class of 2019 graduates)? Or does it depend on the firm?

Jul 12, 2020 - 7:55pm

Thinking about moving to NYC to network for FT (graduate May 2021). Is it even worth it with people living outside of the city (WFH) and the stigma of meeting up with people, not to mention low hiring rates?

• Intern in IB - Ind
Aug 11, 2020 - 5:40pm

Understanding that this would be a unique year, does anyone have an idea of the deadlines for interns to accept return offers? Wouldn't open spots depend on how many don't accept (probably a small number on any given year and potentially smaller this year)

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

April 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (35) $364
  • Associates (188) $234
  • 2nd Year Analyst (107) $150
  • Intern/Summer Associate (96) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (26) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (391) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (322) $82