Been doing m&a / ECM for 2 years and am one of the few analysts who absolutely loves it. For example:
- get a kick when I get a complex model working / make something from scratch
- absolutely killer when seniors take me out for a client meeting and I get to exchange business cards and contribute to client discussions
- love it when I get praised by VPs/MDs for being a 'good guy' and 'sharp'
- feel great when I need to teach / explain stuff to interns and new joiners (no arrogance, treat them with complete respect)
- love seeing the new analyst / intern class every year - smartest graduates in the country, all willing to give everything to succeed (though quite a few give up in 6months)
- enjoy working with lot of different teams in banks to meet more and more TypeA people, see how they react to situations and how they operate in life in general
- love networking all the time and increasing my contact base
Is this weird? For me it's hard to imagine life outside the bank / finance industry anymore in general...
- Throughout my career I was constantly reminded of how little I knew. When I interviewed for the job at <span class='keyword_link'><a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/goldman-sachs" target="_blank">Goldman Sachs</a></span>, as...
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): Check out wilowallstreet's AMA <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ask-an-ex-ib-md-anything">here</a>. The AMA is still live and he is actively answering any questions that you may have.</em> I learnt a lot about failure...
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): #TBT Throwback Thursday - this was originally posted in 2006. To see all of our top content from the past, click <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/highest-ranked-discussions">here.</a></em> So I'm new here and spent a good deal...
- <strong>Big Announcement: WSO Resume Template is Out in the Wild!</strong>: <em>Mod Note (Andy): If you're looking for our resume for experienced IB professionals or a <a...
- You can ask me anything. I know there are probably a lot of questions you wish you could ask your boss, but can't. I was at <span class='keyword_link'><a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-dictionary/what-is-the-bulge-bracket-BB">bulge...
- Confidence matters. Often it matters more than whether or not you’re actually qualified. Hewlett Packard discovered this years ago… They were researching the discrepancy between men and women in upper management. Sexism was certainly a potential factor. But they found another factor...
- In the forums I see a lot of questions and comments contrasting banking and the buy-side. It seems many of you are thinking about all the right topics, and I want to share with you some of my insights from my own career at Goldman and Carlyle as well as from working with clients on both...
- <em>Post any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer!</em> There doesn't seem to be much information on this website regarding this niche role so I'd like to just expand on this and hopefully future readers can gain insight on this function. I...
- Given that we have built up relationships with hundreds of companies and finance recruiters, we thought instead of just a simple job board (which you can find <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-jobs">right here</a>), we would also create a WSO Applicant...
- So, I know this doesn't go in here, but I know the Other Road won't get any views on this or very many, and its not exactly Sales and Trading. I've been working in a sales development role at a hot startup in the SaaS sphere. We are innovating and disrupting in our field, and...
- I worked as a management consultant for 4 years. I learned a bunch of stuff about business and strategy and operations. I also learned how to sound smart about something I knew nothing about, and how...
- Is this a common transition? How difficult is it to do? Would a Masters degree in financial maths help?
- I've been hearing chatter from high placed people in the Consulting Industry that AT Kearney (first) and Bain & Co (second) do not have scale to survive on their own and might be bought out by a...
- Join me for a coffee chat in DC and NYC to learn more about an MBA in China and the benefits of a CEIBS MBA, ranked #1 in Asia by the FT, Bloomberg-BusinessWeek, and Forbes. Register via the links...
- Hello, is anyone aware of a way to buy cheap USD/Yuan options in order to bet on a devaluation of the Yuan? I found some puts on the CYB ETF but they seems rather expensive.
- I'm very interested in applying for these opportunities, but most of the postings mention they are looking for 3rd year students. I was wondering if 2nd years are still considered for these positions...
- I'm trying to choose which Schweser package to buy to prepare for the CFA Level I exam. A former classmate took and passed the exam and he suggested purchasing the Premium Schweser package, so I can...
- I am currently working as an intern and was asked to find the OECD average of total debt-to-gdp ratio. I tried imf stats, worldbank, oecd database, etc. but was not able to find this simple figure. I...
- Hey guys. Currently accepted a full-time analyst IB offer that is set to start next June. However, I am graduating undergrad this December and am not sure what I will do for the next 6 months....
- ASIAN Girl Defends Herself Against Group of Coward thugs.
- Is using DCF to value an airline wrong? I did hear a mix of answers and the reason cited for those who said no is due to Capex being a huge portion of the FCF and the Capex for the airline industry...
- In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics: 5 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Consulting Post By @Alistair-ClarkI worked as a management consultant for 4 years and...
- Box Office Movie Platinum, Watch Creed Online Free Download Creed (2015) Movie Free Full HD Putlocker, Megashare, Viooz, etc. WATCH Creed Online Free Watch Creed Full movie 120mnt, without register...
- Hey monkeys, I'm looking into the GS SSG process and am curious as to what the thoughts on their internal groups are. They've made it more publicly available recently but the four teams are: 1. Multi...
Long term, which career path interests you the most?
Corporate Finance / Strategy / Development
Investment Advisor / PWM
Sales & Trading
Other Finance Role (academia, non-profit, government, legal, etc)
Other - Non Finance
Total votes: 1186