Euro 2012

Not really a fan of soccer in general, but when international play rolls around, whether it's the World Cup, the Olympics, or the Euro tourney, I always follow the action. Who do you guys got winning it all? My favorite team at the moment is the Netherlands. Gonna be pulling for them.

FinancialNoviceII:
I would say England, but our team is terrible.

Inclined to say Netherlands or Germany. France a dark-horse and obviously Spain but I see them falling short this time around. The long domestic seasons will take their toll.

France is shocking

I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

Germany, best young crop of players. Netherlands is good, esp with RvP killing it, but they are aging. Some other teams could stand out (Denmark, Croatia).

I think France will do very well. Great team and it would follow their historical patterns of shit performance followed by championship appearance.

Spain will do well, but are old and over hyped.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

PaddyPower has these odds (with 1/2 paid for EachWay top 2):

Spain 5/2 Germany 10/3 Holland 7/1 England 10/1 France 12/1 Italy 14/1 Portugal 18/1 Russia 20/1

The rest have no shot...the best value here looks to be Holland..England no hope, France zero shot, Italy will get shot by all the snipers and continually fall down

Germany and spain are obviously the favourites, but it isnt worth putting a large stack on them to win when you can E/W with Holland...better odds on winning...and just making the final is better odds than germany winning...definitely doing at least 50€ each way (so hundred total) on holland

Holland to win and Van Persie top goal scorer is going off at 25/1...awesome bet

trazer985:
Has anyone checked the route of who is likely to play who?

I remember Greece winning with a similar eventuality. Playing randomwhothefuckareyou's until the final when they win on sheer enthusiasm.

You're misremembering then.

They beat Portugal in their first game, then drew with Spain, before beating Russia, the only random team they played all tournament.

They then beat the French, who shockingly forgot that it's best not to leave a man unmarked in your own area. Some of the worst defending I've ever seen at international level.

Then, Czech Republic, which was a very, very good team back in 2004 - Cech, Rosicky, Nedved, Baros, etc...

Finally, they beat Portugal (again) in the final.

Bar Russia, none of those teams count as random, easy, or whothefuckareyou's...

drexelalum11:
trazer985:
Has anyone checked the route of who is likely to play who?

I remember Greece winning with a similar eventuality. Playing randomwhothefuckareyou's until the final when they win on sheer enthusiasm.

You're misremembering then.

They beat Portugal in their first game, then drew with Spain, before beating Russia, the only random team they played all tournament.

They then beat the French, who shockingly forgot that it's best not to leave a man unmarked in your own area. Some of the worst defending I've ever seen at international level.

Then, Czech Republic, which was a very, very good team back in 2004 - Cech, Rosicky, Nedved, Baros, etc...

Finally, they beat Portugal (again) in the final.

Bar Russia, none of those teams count as random, easy, or whothefuckareyou's...

Didn't they beat France twice?

Whgm45:
I'm rooting for France, but I'd be surprised if Germany didn't win. They have so many great young players (Hummels, Gotze, Muller, I'm forgetting a lot right now) and they have solid leadership. Can't count out the Spanish obviously but I think it's Germany's tournament to lose

Ozil, Gomez, Kroos, Neuer, Reus, Schweinsteiger (not so young). But I agree, everyone is counting out France but I think that they have a really good chance of winning. It is always when everyone thinks they'll do poorly that they blow everyone out of the water. They have a great team and after the WC's poor performance, it is time that they did well.

above_and_beyond:
Sell me your ticket for Portugal - Germany!

I know a guy that still has a few tix left, they're going to be a little more pricey though, since cat 1 tix, but games in Ukraine are cheaper.

If you're above and beyond crew, I love it, sir.

As long as Spain has Xavi, Iniesta, and Cesc Fabregas they have to be the favorite and I think they'll probably win it. I can't, nor have I ever been able to, stand Germany. As a fan of Brazil since birth Germany has been nothing but a thorn in the side of the world's greatest soccer nation for decades, for that I simply must hate them.

BigBucks:
As long as Spain has Xavi, Iniesta, and Cesc Fabregas they have to be the favorite and I think they'll probably win it. I can't, nor have I ever been able to, stand Germany. As a fan of Brazil since birth Germany has been nothing but a thorn in the side of the world's greatest soccer nation for decades, for that I simply must hate them.
Are you Brazilian?

Wow that was just not a good game for NED

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

FinancialNoviceII:
D M:
Wow that was just not a good game for NED

They play a little conservatively. I like the expansive game they played in the World Cup. Sneijder seems off his game, has been pretty much all season.

Man, Robben is off his game, too. And they shanked a number of good opportunities. There were some shady lack of hand ball calls, but other than that, NED blew it imho.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Although I will wait until this afternoon's game before jumping the gun, but I genuinely would be shocked if Italy made it past the quarter-final stage. A poor team. Don't see where the goals are going to come from.

I can see France winning, they're playing for one another and as a unit and as we've seen from Germany prior to being established like now, playing in this fashion does wonders. Too many players look for individual brilliance throughout the game.

Still not convinced on Italy. Too many things will have to go right for them (3-5-2 has to work, no real wing play, too many of the same midfielders, no goalscorer, Ballotelli not to go all Ron Artest on someone or something)

Still have France as underdogs.

@FinancialNovicell

France and Italy aren't underdogs and never will be. Historical jurisprudence. Even if they have a relatively weak team, they are almost always expected to progress, even in a group of death situation.

Italy is shit though. Balotelli is just too much an idiot, he's a great player, but people like that don't deserve to pull on their nation's jersey.

Anyone's thoughts on best goal so far?

Poland's against Russia was awesome!

And whoever said Germany is unconvincing because they inched past Portugal is ridiculous. They played quite well and deserved the win. They will win it all. Or France.

You are what you are right now, and right now Italy and France are underdogs. The question wasnt whether they would progress, but whether they could be potential winners. I mean, come on. If Italy was in the Germany group, you'd expect them to progress? Get a clue brah.

?? Yeah, I would. It doesn't matter if there are three super powers in a group, they are all expected to progress through different analysts and opinions. Dutch look ready to drop out, but most people thought they would progress above Portugal.

Their personal form doesn't really matter like you seem to think though. France hasn't done well in 6 years, but they always have a team worthy of the semi finals. That is what a favorite is. Most teams are measured on their individual parts. Most of France and Italy's players start at top clubs across Europe, so they are expected to perform. Croatia, while good, does not have the calibre of players that these super powers do. France, England, Holland, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Portugal will never ever be considered underdogs in a Tournament, especially in the Euros. They may be "underdogs" against Brazil, but in general you can't consider them this way.

I really don't know much about how most people follow soccer on here, but I've grown up with it. Most people are momentum watchers, like the Olympics. Its a big deal in the soccer world, so they tune in, even if its the first time since the WC. Not referring spec. to you FN, but that just seems to be the general tone to me.

Best Response
Relinquis:
streetwannabe:
... France, England, Holland, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Portugal will never ever be considered underdogs in a Tournament, especially in the Euros. They may be "underdogs" against Brazil, but in general you can't consider them this way....
By this rationale what would you consider an underdog? Ukraine?

Ukraine is an underdog of course. But to properly classify, there are underdogs (contestants who stand little to no chance, e.g. Greece '04) and there are dark horses (contestants with solid teams, yet inferior to major participants, current Euro '12 e.g. Croatia, Russia, Sweden)

To categorize most teams, Superpowers: France, England, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Brazil, and Argentina Dark horses: Croatia, Uruguay, Sweden, Russia, certain African countries (varies by year), US (sometimes), Turkey, South Korea ('02), may be lacking but this is general list Underdogs: Nearly everybody else.

streetwannabe:
?? Yeah, I would. It doesn't matter if there are three super powers in a group, they are all expected to progress through different analysts and opinions. Dutch look ready to drop out, but most people thought they would progress above Portugal.

Their personal form doesn't really matter like you seem to think though. France hasn't done well in 6 years, but they always have a team worthy of the semi finals. That is what a favorite is. Most teams are measured on their individual parts. Most of France and Italy's players start at top clubs across Europe, so they are expected to perform. Croatia, while good, does not have the calibre of players that these super powers do. France, England, Holland, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Portugal will never ever be considered underdogs in a Tournament, especially in the Euros. They may be "underdogs" against Brazil, but in general you can't consider them this way.

I really don't know much about how most people follow soccer on here, but I've grown up with it. Most people are momentum watchers, like the Olympics. Its a big deal in the soccer world, so they tune in, even if its the first time since the WC. Not referring spec. to you FN, but that just seems to be the general tone to me.

What utter bullshit. Let me get this straight.

So all 3 from a group of 4 are expected to progress when only 2 can? No one knows how this thing will play out but teams are considered certainties to progress based on the strength of their current team and to an extent run of recent form. You make no sense.

Personal form absolutely matters. You expect players who are suffering say a run of 10 defeats to suddenly just turn it on and win because its a major tournament? There's something called morale to consider. I would take Luka Modric over any French or Italian player in this tournament (even Ribery) so there's nothing to your argument. If I recall, France werent favourites for the semis in the World Cup, and neither were Italy. And guess what? Both perished within the first round.

Teams are underdogs when no one considers them to win it. It doesnt matter about their past pedigree or anything. France are underdogs because no one has selected them as a winner. In fact several analysts favor them as underdogs or dark horses so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I agree where such players play in terms of club competition matters because of the level of competition they face but look at teams like Argentina, Portugal or England. Terrific individual players, playing at the top level but yet often falter at international level.

I dont understand why you dont understand that if a team isn't expected to win the tournament, the eventual victory by said team is an upset because of their UNDERDOG status.

My god man.

And to your final point, I'm British. I've grown up around football. You on the other hand appear to know nothing.

FinancialNoviceII:
I would take Luka Modric over any French or Italian player in this tournament (even Ribery) so there's nothing to your argument.

Even the striker with an allergy to grass?

www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-striker-Mario-Balotelli-h…

FinancialNoviceII:
I agree where such players play in terms of club competition matters because of the level of competition they face but look at teams like Argentina, Portugal or England. Terrific individual players, playing at the top level but yet often falter at international level.

Jordan Henderson and Martin Kelly are terrific? I would have thought terrifying more apt...

FinancialNoviceII:
streetwannabe:

What utter bullshit. Let me get this straight.

So all 3 from a group of 4 are expected to progress when only 2 can? No one knows how this thing will play out but teams are considered certainties to progress based on the strength of their current team and to an extent run of recent form. You make no sense.

Personal form absolutely matters. You expect players who are suffering say a run of 10 defeats to suddenly just turn it on and win because its a major tournament? There's something called morale to consider. I would take Luka Modric over any French or Italian player in this tournament (even Ribery) so there's nothing to your argument. If I recall, France werent favourites for the semis in the World Cup, and neither were Italy. And guess what? Both perished within the first round.

Teams are underdogs when no one considers them to win it. It doesnt matter about their past pedigree or anything. France are underdogs because no one has selected them as a winner. In fact several analysts favor them as underdogs or dark horses so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I dont understand why you dont understand that if a team isn't expected to win the tournament, the eventual victory by said team is an upset because of their UNDERDOG status.

My god man.

And to your final point, I'm British. I've grown up around football. You on the other hand appear to know nothing.

Haha, come on now. WHO IS EXPECTED TO WIN? Two teams, therefore by your logic, everyone else is underdogs. That is stupid.

And yes, I Played soccer. Maybe your British, I don't give a shit. If you as a team expect (realistically, such as Portugal, even though odds are, Germany and Dutch will proceed) yourselves to proceed, you are not so much underdogs.

And form does not matter!!! If Brazil was playing horribly up till the WC, they'd still be expected to progress, regardless of their group, etc. Certain teams are expected to go thru. What I meant with a group of death is that 3 or even 4, are REALISTICALLY expected to go thru. That in them going thru, even in second place in the group, the could realistically go past the next round.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with France and ITaly about the semis of the WC?

And aside from your opinion that I know nothing about soccer, just goes to show you no nothing about anything.

Every decent nation, has a chance of winning the tournament, even if they are not the top three odds. I know great club players falter on the international stage, but usually the best nation wins.

It is rare that an "underdog" wins. While France may not be expected to win this year, and could be considered an underdog (I'll give you this), IF THEY DID WIN, IT WOULD NOT BE THAT MUCH OF AN ANOMALY.

For a Brit that grew up around football, you should fucking know by now how this works. For fucks sake, there is a difference between an expected winner, an unexpected winner, and a sheer underdog.

To just put a final note, in football, lesser teams often beat great teams. I wouldn't be surprised that much if Ireland beat Italy due to their historical record.

I don't think you've ever really played football. If you had, you'd know that footballing style of one nation is ofter the achilles heel of another, despite their individual dominance. Giant killers

Regards

DSKisNOTGUILTY:
@streetwannabe, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Your logic is astounding.

How do you figure?

All arguments aside, I digress. My simple point is that some countries just cannot be classified as underdogs in my books because though they may not be expected to win or even place, it is not "unimaginable".

Boreed:
Relinquis:
England just beat Sweden 3 - 2 in probably the most exciting match of the tournament so far, but... considering how they played today do you guys think that the better playing team won?

England's third goal was just a failed attempt at controlling the ball. Enough said.

Agreed. Welbeck isnt that good, and on replays it was obvious, he was hoping to control it with his right and hook it in with his left. Didnt detract from the game however. Enjoyable but clear what England's limitations are too. Glad no one is on the wagon this time.

I saw that game relinquis. dirty goal from welbeck to win it. I think england deserved to win. sweden scored two in the air, one of which probably should have been stopped (and it got credited an own goal) and the second was more a result of poor defense than good offense. gerrard played great today although I would have liked to see him take a few blasts on goal himself. sweden had poor build up play until the end when they snuck a few through an old and tired english back line. ibrahimovic could have done better on a couple of occasions. and what a great performance from walcott when he got subbed in, goal and an assist.

looking forward to rooney to come back although i have a bad feeling that he may dissappoint as he often does in big tournaments.

speaking of disappointing, where has ronaldo been in this tournament?

ChrisHansen:
I saw that game relinquis. dirty goal from welbeck to win it. I think england deserved to win. sweden scored two in the air, one of which probably should have been stopped (and it got credited an own goal) and the second was more a result of poor defense than good offense. gerrard played great today although I would have liked to see him take a few blasts on goal himself. sweden had poor build up play until the end when they snuck a few through an old and tired english back line. ibrahimovic could have done better on a couple of occasions. and what a great performance from walcott when he got subbed in, goal and an assist.

looking forward to rooney to come back although i have a bad feeling that he may dissappoint as he often does in big tournaments.

Gerrard was hardly great. Walcott is born for this role but what player wants to settle for the super-sub routine?

Deutschland Deutschland üüüüber allles, üüüber alles, in der Welt!

:/ I'm rooting for the team of the country I'm in right now. I'm fairly sure I couldn't get out of many bars alive (or at least healthy) if I wasn't. They've played damn well, too, as far as I could tell.

Nothing can stop me.

FinancialNoviceII:
ChrisHansen:

Gerrard was hardly great. Walcott is born for this role but what player wants to settle for the super-sub routine?

Gerrard made a lot of great passes, he set up caroll's goal too. I don't think welbeck was trying to control it, that was a shot not a first touch, he had someone right at his back and the ball was coming in low and fast. No way he would have had time for a second touch. And walcott should have started.

although I don't know how walcott's shot went in. goalie should have saved that especially since he made at least two other world class saves.

looking forward to watching russia this afternoon...

ChrisHansen:
FinancialNoviceII:
ChrisHansen:

Gerrard made a lot of great passes, he set up caroll's goal too. I don't think welbeck was trying to control it, that was a shot not a first touch, he had someone right at his back and the ball was coming in low and fast. No way he would have had time for a second touch. And walcott should have started.

although I don't know how walcott's shot went in. goalie should have saved that especially since he made at least two other world class saves.

looking forward to watching russia this afternoon...

Not convinced. I just saw the replay again, if it was an attempt, his head would have jerked instinctively but it didnt. Anyway, the result matters. Again, setting up a goal, from a free-kick, doesnt mean he was great in the game. He had one run of note for me but my opinion. Russia look decent so should be a good game.

I will say though, I'm underwhelmed by the tournament thus far.

Relinquis:
Yeah, I guess Cristiano Ronaldo finally found a hairstyle that works!

Looks like Germany will face off against Greece in the quarter finals. Expect a lot of finance / economics / politics journalists in Europe to work that into their articles...

Just waiting on PaddyPower to put out "Will Greece last longer in Euro 2012 or in the Euro" bet

Balotelli with the best goal of Euro 2012 so far. Way to shut the racist pricks up, Super Mario. And good thing his teammate came over to cover his mouth because I'm sure he wasn't saying very nice things haha.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/fAMhh7NW4VA

Was great to see France put in their place by Sweden today and Ibrahimovic's goal... so cool. Might as well leave the tournament in style...

What do you guys think of the Ukraine's disallowed goal* vs England? Is it time to use technology to overrule ref decisions in these cases or keep it old school?

* Edit: A friend of mine thinks that the first pass of the counterattack was an offside, but that doesn't seem to be the issue as the ref didn't even call that...

Relinquis:
Was great to see France put in their place by Sweden today and Ibrahimovic's goal... so cool. Might as well leave the tournament in style...

What do you guys think of the Ukraine's disallowed goal* vs England? Is it time to use technology to overrule ref decisions in these cases or keep it old school?

* Edit: A friend of mine thinks that the first pass of the counterattack was an offside, but that doesn't seem to be the issue as the ref didn't even call that...

That goal was the end of the discussion. The AAR is in perfect position, and blows it. He's a FIFA referee; if he can't make that call, you can't defend the system.

We'll have instant replay trialled in the Europa league, with a view to have it in place by the next World Cup. The argument has always been that it wasn't practical for all leagues, but then again, neither are AARs.

design:
France is getting smacked up by Spain tomorrow. England and Italy will take their match to a penalty shootout with Italy winning.

Oh, and Samir Nasri is a little bitch.

Not bad.

What else you got other than Euro 2012?

WhiteKnightDD:
Not bad.

What else you got other than Euro 2012?

Well, let me tell you about a wonderful product called a colon cleanser that changed my life...
GoodBread:
Good call and this is coming from a French guy. Agree 100% on Nasri.
Yeah, he's such a prick...

Http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1114238/laurent-blanc-calls-samir-nasri.html

He just gets into it with the media every chance he gets. Not only that, he started trashing Arsenal fans about 5 minutes after he left the club to get a bigger paycheck and less playing time with Manchester City. The guy is completely classless.

BigBucks:
So glad England is eliminated after playing 3 games of park-the-bus shit football (game vs. Sweden was the exception). Today's game vs. Italy was a disgrace to the beautiful game on their part.

It wasn't actually park the bus bullshit, they just lack quality.

FinancialNoviceII:
BigBucks:
So glad England is eliminated after playing 3 games of park-the-bus shit football (game vs. Sweden was the exception). Today's game vs. Italy was a disgrace to the beautiful game on their part.

It wasn't actually park the bus bullshit, they just lack quality.

lol... only the English could discuss their team in such a detached manner.

TonyPerkis:
Abdel:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

fuck Clichy and Gallas...sell outs

I mean, at least before, when you had a Italy vs France game, it was italians vs french people. 'Was fun to watch.

Now, every team is becoming a copy of the UN (United Nations), so everygame is the same: UN vs UN

Also, most italians I spoke to recently are hurt. They cain't believe they now have an african in their team. haha

Italians love Balloteli (yea, temper and all) so I don't see where this garbage is coming from you tool. Also, is it a surprise that teams get more diverse as borders become irrelevant and countries become less monochromatic? The greatest soccer nation in the world, Brazil, has been this great over history because of their diversity. Dude chill out with your race-baiting garbage, the best 11 for their country will play, regardless of color.

BigBucks:
Italians love Balloteli (yea, temper and all) so I don't see where this garbage is coming from you tool. Also, is it a surprise that teams get more diverse as borders become irrelevant and countries become less monochromatic? The greatest soccer nation in the world, Brazil, has been this great over history because of their diversity. Dude chill out with your race-baiting garbage, the best 11 for their country will play, regardless of color. You also forgot about Kevin Prince Boateng who is African in origin but plays for Germany.

Kevin Prince Boateng is half Ghanaian and plays for Ghana, his brother Jerome plays for Germany. Jesus, that's what you get when talking about football on an american board.. :D

BigBucks:
Italians love Balloteli (yea, temper and all) so I don't see where this garbage is coming from you tool. Also, is it a surprise that teams get more diverse as borders become irrelevant and countries become less monochromatic? The greatest soccer nation in the world, Brazil, has been this great over history because of their diversity. Dude chill out with your race-baiting garbage, the best 11 for their country will play, regardless of color.

do you work with actual italians? every one of them in my office hate him and don't him to play. He's a risk to get sent off every single match....plus, he's a cock

l truly feel pity for you Abdel. Why is it relevant whether they are black or white? They shouldn't be allowed to play for their country because their ancestors aren't from the area? Or what exactly are you trying to say other than race-bait, I really feel Patrick needs to ban members like you and the other indians/asians on this site who are so insecure in your daily lives that you feel the need to come be racist over the internet. I come to this site to discuss politics, finance, and the occasional sport, not to come read ignorant garbage typed by some kid who probably couldn't stand on his own merit so he feels the need to classify people based on race.

BigBucks:
l truly feel pity for you Abdel. Why is it relevant whether they are black or white? They shouldn't be allowed to play for their country because their ancestors aren't from the area? Or what exactly are you trying to say other than race-bait, I really feel Patrick needs to ban members like you and the other indians/asians on this site who are so insecure in your daily lives that you feel the need to come be racist over the internet. I come to this site to discuss politics, finance, and the occasional sport, not to come read ignorant garbage typed by some kid who probably couldn't stand on his own merit so he feels the need to classify people based on race.

You sound like a black guy who needs to stick to white people in order to survive because you won't be capable to do so if you lived with your own kind.

Relinquis:
A white supremacist called "Abdel"!?... Only on WSO...

If you think the French would rather give up their world cup titles and have an all-white team you're delusional.

What? I'm not a white supremacist. I just understand where they are coming from.

If arabs built structures that allowed a civilization to emerge, then naturally, arabs would eat first.

That's simply our human nature. At this present moment, we are living off a system/structure built mostly by white people. Therefore, it is normal that they eat first. Consider yourself lucky if they let you eat too (if you're non-white).

It's not racism. Now, if someone is not happy with this, then he and his people can go out there and build their own system/structure.

Anyway, my prediction:

Spain VS Germany

Abdel:
... If arabs built structures that allowed a civilization to emerge, then naturally, arabs would eat first.

That's simply our human nature. At this present moment, we are living off a system/structure built mostly by white people. Therefore, it is normal that they eat first. Consider yourself lucky if they let you eat too (if you're non-white).

It's not racism. Now, if someone is not happy with this, then he and his people can go out there and build their own system/structure. ...

This is so ignorant of history and human development. Guess what, Arab had a blossoming civilisation when most of Europe was in the dark ages. Even today, only 40-60 years since colonialism you can see Arabs gradually reclaim ownership of their countries to some extent with a few setbacks due to neo-colonialism.

You're still at university right? I suggest you take a few history courses and then maybe one or two on politics & philosophy. You seem misinformed about how nations develop and how ideas / philosophies of how to organise societies developed. These things don't happen in a vacuum and build on previous generations and exchange with other cultures. Most of the Arab world was property of Imperial powers due to war and violence as recent as 60 years ago and you are surprised that there are a few immigrants playing football in other countries? You are so ignorant.

I don't want to continue this argument with you. We all know your racial and political ideology now, let's stick to football.

Who do you think will win the tournament? I think it will be Italy.

Relinquis:
I always feel that people underestimate Italy. I think they'll beat Germany.

Germany were very weak against the Netherlands even though they managed to win. I don't think they have what it takes to beat any of the teams left in the tournament emphatically.

No way. Germany will not let Pirlo dictate play like that. I like them to win the tournament. Their strength in depth is ridiculous and they play good attacking football. In all honesty, Italy dominated the game against England and had chances but I never really considered their frontline a threat. Cassano is past his prime (whatever short period that was a few years back) and Ballotelli cannot be trusted to play a traditional centre-forward role. They have some good players on the bench they didnt use against England. I like Giovinco and Borini but for whatever reason, they're just not getting gametime.

FinancialNoviceII:
Relinquis:

Germany were very weak against the Netherlands even though they managed to win. I don't think they have what it takes to beat any of the teams left in the tournament emphatically.

No way. Germany will not let Pirlo dictate play like that. I like them to win the tournament. Their strength in depth is ridiculous and they play good attacking football. In all honesty, Italy dominated the game against England and had chances but I never really considered their frontline a threat. Cassano is past his prime (whatever short period that was a few years back) and Ballotelli cannot be trusted to play a traditional centre-forward role. They have some good players on the bench they didnt use against England. I like Giovinco and Borini but for whatever reason, they're just not getting gametime.

Both valid points, especially regarding Pirlo which is crucial to Italy's attacking game... but when Ballotelli is on form he can convert, as can Cassano (remember, unlike England, Germany doesn't have 10 defenders). I also don't see Germany having an easy time against Buffon and Italy's defence. If they neutralise Pirlo, I guess it's a matter of time though.

I guess I just don't think it's as clear cut as people make it out to be. Should be a fun match to watch.

Relinquis:

Quick reminder from the previous page... They played like men tonight. Didn't do the fashionable "all defence" strategy that other teams have used in the tournament.

I'm all in for Italy to beat Spain in the final (even though my Spanish friends will disown me if I say that to them).

drexelalum11:
I can easily see Spain losing to Portgual; they've looked very weak, and their possession based style could easily be burned by the Portuguese counter, especially given their outside backs are inexperienced and tend to get forward; Nani and Ronaldo could easily expose them, especially if they overload on Arbeloa.

Absolutely agree. Ronaldo seems to have turned his game up a notch and Arbeloa is pedestrian at best. I would consider dropping Arbeloa, move Ramos to RB and drop Busquets to CB, or even bring someone off the bench.

Although, I find it quite bizarre that Spain are considered to be boring with their possession football, when they model Barcelona, who we all love to watch. Granted they have no Messi but they just seem to lack a cutting edge without David Villa. This 'false 9' thing is stupid and clearly hasn't worked how they wanted it to.

I'm not very sanguine about Italy's chances in spite of living in Italy at the moment. As much as they deserved their win against England, it was more because of how non-existent England became after the first half-hour. I thought Germany did quite well against the Netherlands to be honest (the last twenty minutes were sloppy, but they knew they had it wrapped up) and I'm not expecting an emphatic win but I don't think this is going to penalties, probably not even extra time.

Italy vs. Germany is a closer match than Portugal vs, Spain to me. I feel pretty sure Spain will beat Portugal while I am much shakier on the outcome of the Germany game. The way Italy played Spain defensively was brilliant, it will be hard for anyone to score more than 1 against Italy, which means it could go either way. Thing about Spain is their defense, even w.o Puyol is still one of the best in the world and a cut about Germany's, who knows how many Germany could concede to Italy, I could easily see 2 goals with Pirlo being the main factor

Boreed:
Penalties.... what the hell man. If Spain lose now, it's ridiculous. They play the most beautiful football of any team and should be in the final.

What the ... ? Spain playED the most beautiful football two years ago. Lately, Spain plays like shit. They pass the ball to each other without creating any real chances to score. Watching Spain makes me tired as hell. Portugal was the better team in the regular 90 minutes, Spain didn't start playing football until the over time.

Looking forward to Italy - Germany though.

above_and_beyond:
Boreed:
Penalties.... what the hell man. If Spain lose now, it's ridiculous. They play the most beautiful football of any team and should be in the final.

What the ... ? Spain playED the most beautiful football two years ago. Lately, Spain plays like shit. They pass the ball to each other without creating any real chances to score. Watching Spain makes me tired as hell. Portugal was the better team in the regular 90 minutes, Spain didn't start playing football until the over time.

Looking forward to Italy - Germany though.

Sounds like you're repeating the commentary. Name any other team that doesn't just panic and shoot the ball away, and instead passes calmly and builds the game even under pressure in their own box.

Boreed:
Relinquis:
I hope Portugal lose in these Penalties... Too defensive. Maybe losing like cowards will make them think twice about playing like this.

Wheeeeey!!!

Spain win 4-2... I'm soooooo happy!

I went in looking forward to some good football with some attacking / counterattacking and was kinda hoping for Portugal to beat the favourites, but seeing how they played. They deserve to spend the next two years wondering "what if" they had actually played football instead of just defence...

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead..."

Wow. Spain, that was painful to watch. Just like every game so far. However, for once they didn't start with 6 midfielders and no forwards. Result: 0-0 after overtime.

Germany- Italy must be way better than the 90 min of piss and just one half-assed attempt from Ronaldo.

CNBC sucks "This financial crisis is worse than a divorce. I've lost all my money, but the wife is still here." - Client after getting blown up

Ronaldo not taking the 4th penalty = completely inexplicable decision from Bento. Absolutely horrible call. I feel really bad for naldo, after Spain win you can see him shaking his head and saying "injustice".

If he felt it was so unjust the clown shoulda made one of his MANY opportunities during the game, including a nice close late free kick. Penalties can't be unjust because its arbitrary, random is the word for who wins penalties.

Not many Italians hating on Ballotelli tonight. Germany were so poor in the first half. Especially defensively but even going forward, they were average. Ozil and Schweinsteiger have been a disappointment this tournament, but it was obscured by team success.

Final is going to be interesting. I could really see Italy winning. I underestimated them. They keep possession well and Ballotelli works hard up front. On paper, they look like they're missing that something but they've played well.

I knew that German defense was suspect, I also knew that Italian defense was better than ppl gave them credit for, look how they performed against Spain. All who hate on Spain, their D will win them this championship not their offense. If people play open football they can score well (Portugal had the best defense of this tournament outside of Spain). If Italy try and play the way they did against Germany on offense against Spain I can see Spain winning 3-0 b.c that defense of Spain's just does not quit. If they play defensively like Group stages it can be a 0-0 game decided in penalties again b.c both of these defenses are world class.

Also have the two best GKs in the world so it'll definitely be interesting

BigBucks:
I knew that German defense was suspect, I also knew that Italian defense was better than ppl gave them credit for, look how they performed against Spain. All who hate on Spain, their D will win them this championship not their offense. If people play open football they can score well (Portugal had the best defense of this tournament outside of Spain). If Italy try and play the way they did against Germany on offense against Spain I can see Spain winning 3-0 b.c that defense of Spain's just does not quit. If they play defensively like Group stages it can be a 0-0 game decided in penalties again b.c both of these defenses are world class.

Also have the two best GKs in the world so it'll definitely be interesting

Spain's defense is decent, better then Germany's but not impenetrable like you're suggesting. Simply appears that Italy, right now, have more going forward then Spain.

I don't know how u call 0 goals allowed since the 1st game of the tournament "decent" but whatever. In any case, Spain will win 1-0 but i;m not counting out Italy, Andrea Pirlo has been the best passer of the tournament for me. Every goal and chance came initially from some beautiful long pass by Pirlo, most of the time from Italy's half. It's worth noting that Spain has played some of the BEST attacking teams during this run (Italy, Croatia, France, and Portugal) so it's not like they've been shutting out pushovers (besides the 1 Italian goal)

At a voluptas velit atque. Ipsam et quam non vero nostrum voluptatem. Autem sed unde rerum veniam. Nisi vel magni quis assumenda illum cupiditate. In dolore aut autem sint vero ratione assumenda sit.

Molestiae veniam fugit dolorem quos adipisci et aut. Qui laborum placeat nihil quidem deleniti illum soluta vel. Deserunt maiores qui asperiores quisquam qui exercitationem. Porro repellat quia quos accusantium eius veritatis.

Hic quis ullam ea maiores. Eum voluptas vitae facilis magni. Aut qui temporibus deserunt autem. Dolorem nesciunt ut consectetur sunt vitae in molestiae. Iusto nisi impedit libero perferendis quae debitis nostrum aperiam. Voluptatibus tempora omnis commodi est. Numquam ad et quod consequuntur perferendis facilis possimus.

Quia harum eum molestiae beatae explicabo. Consequatur dolorem aut dicta ipsam. Aut aliquid quia omnis nihil in quia in. Itaque expedita consequatur ea omnis hic atque aut. Illo omnis sit officia nobis qui ullam. Ut laudantium voluptatem ad blanditiis sed libero.

Rerum ut libero aliquam eligendi. Ipsum et et necessitatibus libero quo id. Et est illum vel omnis maiores et. Fugiat aut voluptatem veniam debitis explicabo.

Dolor provident commodi ullam vel quia optio. Qui minus et nihil tempora et omnis. Occaecati et tempora sed reprehenderit.

Dolorum ipsa quia porro consequatur adipisci. Exercitationem unde eveniet sapiente quis voluptatem animi labore. Dolorem doloribus voluptates iusto nesciunt pariatur nisi. Tempora odio eos soluta aspernatur excepturi dolorem possimus molestias. Nostrum enim officiis explicabo. Non ratione et qui cupiditate omnis hic.

Minus eum saepe qui aperiam quos ea sint. Perferendis libero asperiores accusantium quam. Mollitia id qui cumque provident architecto rem explicabo laborum. Autem labore architecto quia.

Rerum eveniet modi veniam explicabo cum quisquam. Et voluptatem voluptas ipsam distinctio quisquam quibusdam aliquam. In repellat eligendi in et fugiat. Voluptas et fugit magni quia exercitationem veniam iusto. Sed tempora eos fugit est laboriosam cupiditate excepturi. Nemo corporis voluptatem quia nostrum doloribus dolore laborum.

Qui qui corporis quos exercitationem consequatur non modi. Eius nostrum iusto distinctio unde est quis. Aliquam optio tenetur ipsa eligendi ut laborum esse. Natus est unde eos reprehenderit. Tenetur quidem sed quo voluptatem esse earum odit.

Commodi molestiae laboriosam hic qui consequatur adipisci quaerat. Velit est cum nam qui.

Rerum neque omnis doloribus expedita. Magnam natus labore error ratione omnis et consequuntur quia. Quibusdam repellat repudiandae alias et ea exercitationem. Quos et voluptates necessitatibus ratione distinctio provident. Culpa enim quam ut consequatur itaque. Quasi doloribus doloribus qui ea harum aut.

Sunt consequatur libero et aperiam omnis placeat. Nulla molestiae repudiandae hic architecto. Aut quidem fugiat natus adipisci ad vel. Et asperiores totam sit laboriosam similique perspiciatis error sint. Non qui qui dicta consectetur ad. Voluptas voluptates voluptatem rerum similique corporis et. Exercitationem ut accusantium id.

Aut possimus molestiae aut alias tempora maiores. Consequatur aut id cumque debitis asperiores. Dolores nemo error est quia nostrum fugit voluptatum dicta.

Accusantium ut et doloribus saepe aliquid. Qui aut rem modi accusamus neque. Id et dolores explicabo maiores natus quod. Officia eum doloribus debitis eligendi voluptatum quasi provident. Voluptas a commodi autem molestiae sapiente. Explicabo voluptatem eligendi ea eum est est consequatur.

Ipsum quas est cum nesciunt totam dolorem amet. In enim explicabo rem maxime porro consequuntur odit. Eos est ducimus accusantium magnam.

Eum aperiam omnis qui. Dolore a itaque sint magnam et ducimus. Minus tempore culpa consequatur.

Omnis eos sed harum reprehenderit quod. Libero ut quod qui assumenda corrupti. Facere sit facere eaque laudantium. Reiciendis nobis veritatis qui corrupti qui ut ad. Ipsam enim nostrum repudiandae ex maiores veritatis nam quo.

Ut magni necessitatibus illo aut voluptatem sit. At dolorum quia sint nostrum sit.

In Time I wander

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”