2019 college grad trying to pivot to finance, any advice?

Hi, I am a recent grad (class of 2019) and, after spending several months in tech consulting and data analytics (at different companies), want to pivot to the finance industry. I kind of had this idea some time ago, but getting laid off during coronavirus definitely expedited this process lol. It's a long post, but I'd really appreciate some help! (I decided to provide as much context/information as possible; feel free to skim.)

I'll detail my background below and would appreciate any and all advice on how to navigate this unfortunately extremely challenging pivot. Primarily, I need advice on 1)what exact entry-level finance roles can I pursue given my interests and skills, 2)how to get an entry-level finance role, and 3)perhaps there are non-finance roles or other industries I should look into, given my long-term career plans. Feel free to comment and advise in other aspects as you see fit. THANK YOU!!!

About my academic and professional background:
-school: I graduated in May 2019 from a top liberal arts school and did one year as a visiting student at an Ivy. I majored in economics and had coursework in economics (including accounting, corporate finance), statistics, and computer science. My overall GPA at both schools were around 3.65 and major GPA 3.75; SAT 2350 (math 790).
-work: well, this is messed up. I have no relevant internship experience in accounting or finance. All of my internships were data analyst or business analyst type roles. No big brand name companies. Regarding full-time work, I started in September 2019 at a not-well-known-at-all technology consulting firm and then jumped to a data analytics role at a software company in February 2020. However, due to the coronavirus, I was laid off in March 2020 (after moving across the country for the position and having spent only one month there...), and I'm currently unemployed.
-my strengths: I always thought of myself as a versatile candidate, someone at the intersection of business and tech, with my diverse coursework and internship experiences and whatnot. Just recently discovered that employers don't care what a well-rounded human I am; especially in finance, they just care about whether I had a straight path/multiple relevant account or finance internships...all I have right now is a line of coursework on my resume that shows the accounting and finance courses I took in college.

My questions for you guys:

1. How to decide which fields/roles within finance to pursue.

1)In terms of my personal interest: I like analyzing business models, market landscapes, etc. essentially, what makes good companies and how to make companies better. So, I guess in a nutshell I want to learn investing and business strategy. This also corresponds to my long-term career goal of being in a strategy&operations role in industry, or staying in investment management, or starting my own company.

2)In terms of my skillset: although I took multiple computer science courses, the only thing I learned is that I don't like and suck at coding, so all quant type roles are off the table. I think I would like/do better at fundamental investing. I liked my accounting and corporate finance classes but hated my (super quantitative) risk management class. I am a fairly quantitative-savvy person, pretty good with numbers, but I'm nowhere a real business intelligence, quantitative research, data scientist, software engineering kind of genius with math.
3)I think relevant roles in finance would be equity analyst type roles (?), or maybe early-stage investing (although I may not be a fan of venture capital style investing, but beggars can't be choosers lol). IB is probably out of the question for me now, given the relevant recruiting cycle ended literally decade ago and I don't have the right profile for IB. Corporate finance roles don't seem feasible, since they usually require 2-3 years of experience or, even if they accept university grads, require relevant internship experience.
*****Please point out other possible fields/roles I could pursue, since I need to diversify my job search.*****

1. how to get these roles

1)main challenges:
(i)no relevant experience, at all.
(ii)awkward candidate type: not a student, but don't even have 1 year of full-time experience (and the experience I already have, very bad track record, given the short stints), can't apply to college recruiting programs (which have ended anyway and the next cycle would be in July 2020 for Class of 2021 students starting in July 2021 lol). In a nutshell, I have trouble getting an interview, because my resume simply doesn't yell "finance".
(iii)my technical skills are pretty rusty, although I could probably get up to speed quite quickly in preparation of an interview.

2)some advantages: I have two alumni networks to leverage. I have done quite a few informational interviews already, and alumni can be pretty responsive and nice, but it's not like they could get me an interview, because typically their firms have a pretty structured hiring process or recruit only certain types of candidates (which I am not). No other advantages I could really think of.

3)my strategy/thoughts so far:
(i)the easiest strategy seems to be, find an internship in some small investment management firm, then try to make turn that internship into full-time or leverage it (as a relevant experience) to find another job. However, I will probably need to do this through connections, i.e. find an alum who is very senior or owns that firm. In practice, this could be very challenging.
(ii)hit up recruiters: *****question is, I don't even know which recruiters to hit up. Any advice on search/source criteria/filters?***** In addition, I doubt any recruiter would want to work with me/take me seriously as a viable candidate.
(iii)possibility of a lateral hire: I can't compete with experienced candidates for positions designed for experienced candidates, but some firms/positions (especially those targeted at students/new grads) seem to not care so much about relevant experience in finance and more about the candidate being a smart/excellent in general. I recently surprisingly found out that certain firms (although not necessarily finance) which I though recruit exclusively through campus recruiting for their entry-level positions actually do lateral hiring for those positions, or they actually have year-round hiring! *****How do I source these positions?*****
(iv) some of you might suggest doing the pivot after MBA. Let's not consider this. For now, I need advice on how to navigate my immediate next step (which I want to be in finance), and I need a good starting point to get into a good MBA program anyway, right?
(v)a regular masters program may help. However, this would start in Spring 2021 at the earliest, and I still have to do something for the better part of a year even if I go to grad school in spring 2021, if not later. Just food for thought though, which masters programs would be helpful for landing the roles you think I might be suitable for/interested in? Super quantitative masters programs not off the table, since I don't plan to enter quant roles anyway. Yet, MBA seems to work better for all non-quant roles, making a regular masters program seem useless for my purpose, unless I plan on getting another school recruiting opportunity to land something in IB.
3. should I look at other non-finance jobs/industries?
I'm thinking that, since fate had it that I'm unemployed, I might as well turn this crisis into an opportunity and do a hard pivot, even if its more challenging. Moreover, it's not necessarily easier for me to look for other type of roles; I only have experience as a data analyst, but I don't want to stay in this field anymore and it is actually super competitive. Based on the results of my online applications and comparison with other candidates, I'm not an attractive candidate anyway. I don't think I will consider marketing coordinator or sales development representative type of roles, since I have neither the passion nor the capacity to do well in them.

I know this is a super long post with very complicated questions. Please comment and advise in any aspects mentioned above or as you see fit. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!

Sit ipsum tempore et qui fugit. Delectus temporibus quo accusantium nesciunt. Et tempore suscipit non nostrum velit quia placeat et.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”