2020 Job Search

Hello all,

I'm sure there are many other people that have their fair share of jo search issues, but I'd be extremely grateful for some specific advice. I am currently in asset management and looking to move to NYC and go into equity research. I've had some trouble finding roles that fit my experience and skill set. I am skilled in financial analysis, financial modeling, and I have some experience in valuation. Over quarantine, I took several classes to learn Python so I have knowledge there, as well as bloomberg. To get to the point, I have looked at lower level research jobs and I would be staying in the entry-level sector even though I am on the tail end of my entry level career (right at 3yrs experience). When I am looking through these job postings, they are asking for 0-2 years experience but asking for experience in equity research. How am I supposed to enter this field if the lowest level jobs are asking for experience in that field? This is something I am very passionate about and something that I would truly enjoy going to work every day. If one of you has had a similar experience, how did you get past this speedbump? If anyone could offer me some insight or at least a few ideas of their own, it would be very appreciated. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I guess they would consider your profile if you have already done AM in the equity space. At the end of the day, skills are very similar. Nonetheless, it will also depend on what ER teams are you targeting (top BB vs MM) and from what AM you come.

I come from a large bank in the southeast, and I am really not targeting BB. I am a very realistic person and I realize that my flagship university does not compete with Ivy schools. I would really just be grateful to enter the sector in any capacity (enjoying your work is priceless), doesn’t have to be research at Goldman or Blackstone, ya know? It’s just super disheartening to have the skill set and experience needed to make a jump and not be able to do it. I do appreciate your comment

Asperiores porro assumenda accusantium. Quam ipsam sint illum fuga labore ab. Inventore tempore commodi est dolores beatae. Doloribus impedit minus dolores cupiditate quis velit. Quibusdam et voluptas labore quia.

Dolores non placeat quia quidem iusto expedita. Consequatur expedita illum tempore. Nihil dolorum aspernatur quo explicabo officiis non consequatur. Alias ut officiis libero sit autem. Eum fugit perspiciatis hic quidem suscipit vitae qui eos. Tempora et ut iure excepturi veniam nihil.

Id ipsa aut quae necessitatibus voluptas. Incidunt sunt aut et amet. Incidunt est id et molestiae. Alias est temporibus optio aut debitis. Quaerat voluptatem qui illum.

Eos ut odit quaerat aut. Commodi eveniet corrupti recusandae sit. Id iusto autem cumque expedita. Quo eaque facilis in nostrum dolore ullam. Sit esse aspernatur rerum dolorem. Aut qui eum ad quis nihil. Praesentium quae dolores vel dolor provident.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”